try to gain some weight......

Options
How can i gain weight quick? Been 135 to 140 all my life.

Replies

• JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Stop doing cardio, eat more than your recommended calories by around 150-300. Build muscle, it weighs more than fat.
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    Stop doing cardio, eat more than your recommended calories by around 150-300. Build muscle, it weighs more than fat.

It is denser than fat. If you took equal volumes (ex: 1 cm^3 of muscle and 1 cm^3 of fat) and compared them, the muscle would weigh more, yes. A small, muscular person may weigh more than a person who appears bigger and has a high bodyfat for this reason.

But 1kg is 1kg. Don't confuse measurements here. Density is not weight. It is weight/volume.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to gain it quickly?
  • gtmfitness
    gtmfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with AliceDark! Gaining weight is a slow and steady journey sadly. I would hope to assume you mean muscle mass and not just fat!

However if you approach training and your dieting properly, you can gain weight very quickly. If you focus on the right exercises, you can make 5lbs of muscle look like 15lbs. If you add muscle to your upper chest, shoulders, back, and arms. I like to focus training to look like the popular Hollywood Actors. Girls got nuts over them haha.

I found this diet and training routine to add size and strength very quickly:

Eat 500 calories over maintenance for 3 weeks (In your case rahgeem: about 2700 calories)
    Eat 500 calories below maintenance for 1 week ( about 1700 calories)

Reason? Quickly add muscle and strength with the excess calories and then add in 1 low calorie week so you do not spill over in tons of fat gain and look horrible.

With that diet plan, follow this Training Routine:

-3 week Training Plan-

Workout A

Incline Barbell Press: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Standing Shoulder Barbell Press: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of (6-8)(8-10)(10-12) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training

Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 Reps/ Standard Pyramid Training
    Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 Reps/ Standard Pyramid Training
    Cable Rope Extensions: 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 Reps/ Standard Pyramid Training

Workout B

Weighted Chin Ups: 3 sets of (4)(5)(6) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Barbell Curls: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Pistol Squats: 3 sets of 3-5 reps (weighted if possible)

Cable Rows + Bent Over Dumbbell Flyes: 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 Reps/ Standard Pyramid Training
    Cable Rope Curls: 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 Reps/ Standard Pyramid Training
    Calf Raises: 4 sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 Reps/ Standard Pyramid Training

Notes on the Workouts---

Alternate workouts A and B on 3 non-consecutive days per week. Example: Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
    ABA BAB ABA..... each week

Reverse Pyramid Training - Start with your heaviest set first. Drop the weight by about 10% for your second and third sets. When you can do the top ends of the rep ranges (6, 8, 10) add 5lbs to that set next workout. Rest 3-4 minutes between these sets.

Standard Pyramid Training - Choose a weight you can do for 12 reps. Keep that same weight for all 4 sets. Rest 30-60 seconds in between sets. When you can rest only 30 seconds between all sets, add 5lbs.

- 1 week Training Plan-
    Since we are now in a calorie deficit. We Need to drop the Standard Pyramid Training

Workout A

Incline Barbell Press: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Standing Shoulder Barbell Press: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Lateral Raises: 3 sets of (8-12) Reps - Keep the same weight for all sets - rest 1-2 minutes
    Skull Crushers: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training

Workout B

Weighted Chin Ups: 3 sets of (4)(5)(6) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Pistol Squats: 3 sets of (2) reps (weighted if possible)
    Barbell Curls: 3 sets of (4-6)(6-8)(8-10) Reps/ Reverse Pyramid Training
    Bent Over Flyes: 3 sets of (8-12) Reps - Keep the same weight for all sets - rest 1-2 minutes

Notes on the workouts: Same as about for Reverse Pyramid Training

Repeat this for desired amount of months. Expect to gain 2-3 pounds of muscle per month.

Sorry for how long this is! Hope this helps man! just stay consistent, make sure to track your progress each week.