Smoothie Ideas

Options
Chezzie84
Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
edited June 2015 in Recipes
Hi Guys

I want to start having a smoothie as my breakfast instead of with my breakfast.

I use 80g of frozen fruit and 150ml of apple juice and then have porridge.

Can anyone please suggest filling additions so I don't have to have to have porridge. (Not really porridge weather).
Thank you

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd use some sort of milk instead of juice (dairy or non dairy), add protein powder, nut butter or avocado for healthy fats, maybe some oats, and greens (spinach, Celery, kale etc)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I use one cup milk (low-fat), 2/3 cup strawberries and one scoop protein powder and blend; yummy.
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    I'd use some sort of milk instead of juice (dairy or non dairy), add protein powder, nut butter or avocado for healthy fats, maybe some oats, and greens (spinach, Celery, kale etc)

If I was going to use oats, how much do you suggest I use?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »

As much as you like.... Whatever fits your requirements!
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »

As much as you like.... Whatever fits your requirements!

Thankyou. I will trial and error it.
    I didn't want to make it too thick and oaty :)

• blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk, a scoop of vanilla whey, a frozen banana, almond butter and a handful of spinach. Sometimes some ice cubes too depending how thick you like it. I drink one a few times a week for breakfast around 6 AM and keeps me full until lunch at 11:30.
  • sgobi333
    sgobi333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    I like almond milk, a scoop of vanilla whey, a frozen banana, almond butter and a handful of spinach. Sometimes some ice cubes too depending how thick you like it. I drink one a few times a week for breakfast around 6 AM and keeps me full until lunch at 11:30.
    Where do you get Vanilla Whey---I haven't heard of that.
  • mhuntrn4
    mhuntrn4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1 scoop Vanilla whey, 1 frozen banana, 1/2 cup other frozen fruit, 1 cup plain greek yogurt, a splash of milk of choice. Can add veg, too
  • mhuntrn4
    mhuntrn4 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Whole foods or health foods shops carry whey powders in different flavors, as do some other shops- some bike shops, for instance. But I get mine online.
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration :)
  • lechugaa
    lechugaa Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    A great easy one is scoop of vanilla protein power, scoop of plain or vanilla yogurt, and about a cup of orange juice... Tastes like a creamsicle :)
  • Suemmilne
    Suemmilne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    250ml Almond Milk
    2 tbsp rolled oats
    2-3 pitted Medjool dates.
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    4-5 ice cubes
    Blend on high until smooth.
    Delicious and very filling. Breakfast in a glass
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    1-2 cups almond milk
    2 cups spinach
    1 cup berries
    1 inch ginger
    Mint leaves
  • alfiedn
    Options
    Oh! And chia or flax seeds added!
  • alfiedn
    Options
    1-2 cups almond milk
    2-3 tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 frozen banana
    2-4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Frozen mango + 2 large handfuls baby spinach + dollop of yogurt + protein powder + splash of orange juice. Add a little water to loosen and blend till really smooth. Oh and a dash of cinnamon. Vary the frozen fruit as the mood strikes. I let the mango thaw a little before blending. I've also added chia and ground flax seeds at times, or oat bran for fiber.
  • hutchin88
    hutchin88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Frozen mango + 2 large handfuls baby spinach + dollop of yogurt + protein powder + splash of orange juice. Add a little water to loosen and blend till really smooth. Oh and a dash of cinnamon. Vary the frozen fruit as the mood strikes. I let the mango thaw a little before blending. I've also added chia and ground flax seeds at times, or oat bran for fiber.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    1-1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
    1-2 cups of kale, spinach, or other leafy green
    1-1.5 scoops strawberry or vanilla whey protein
    1/3 cup ground flax seed
    1-2 tbsp of hemp hearts
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    100-150g of frozen strawberries

It comes out having more than half your daily nutrients and is loaded with antioxidants, protein, omega fats, vitamin A and C, and tons of fibre, you do have to blend it abit more but it comes out tasting good and leaves you satisfied for hours. Plus it gets a serving of vegetables in first thing in the morning and you don't even taste them!
  • shlygraham
    shlygraham Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you are adding oatmeal add it to the blender first and whirl it into a fine powder. Don't even notice it then
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

The Protein Packed Pina Colada smoothie is blended with the following ingredients: Cup cottage cheese, cup canned pineapple or cup pineapple juice, half a frozen banana, half a cup of milk, 1 T coconut, half a scoop vanilla protein powder, and a cup of ice cubes.

The Key Lime Protein Shake is blended with half an avocado, juice of a lime, 2 tsp lime zest, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, 1 T coconut, a cup of milk, and 1-2 packets of Stevia (optional).

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!