Getting better at pull-ups: FASTER

Options
So I'm a month back into p90x (finished my first round last year). Pull-ups are still pretty rough, even assisted. I find I can do a solid 5 unassisted on a first round, but then after a couple more and a 1-2 rounds of assisted, I'm burned out for the next sets. I switch to bands, which I don't feel are doing the job (and I suspect are going to snap on me and I'll end up like Harry Reid... need to invest in better bands).

Are there any ways to improve pull-ups more quickly? Should I be doing more sets apart from p90x workouts? One strategy I've tried is just to do 1 freeform pull-up, then allow myself to hit the ground and reset -- then do another pull-up and as many as I can without support; this seems to help a lot, but I'm wondering if it defeats to the purpose to not do them in rapid succession like they do in the videos.

Thoughts? Advice? By the time I start p90x3 -- I see a lot of the moves are pullups mixed in with abs and core -- I don't want to have to modify for any of that.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options
    You get better at pullups by doing them. There's really no other exercise that emulates them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Do as many as you can during the workouts, and at the end do slow negatives when you can no longer pull yourself up.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'm three weeks back into my P90X routine, and so far my max unassisted pullup number is 1.
    I have a stool in place that I use like the people in the P90X videos use a chair, putting only the toe portion of one foot on the stool. Although I can't accurately judge, I'd say that I am putting about 15%-25% of the work on that one foot.

I've been pushing the stool farther and farther each time, and trying to slow down my moves.
    Trust me, getting up to 1 was an achievement, and I can feel the assisted pullups getting easier.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Do as many as you can during the workouts, and at the end do slow negatives when you can no longer pull yourself up.

Slow negs are fantastic for seeing improvement.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You get better at pullups by doing them. There's really no other exercise that emulates them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This as well

• headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would do more assisted pull-ups so your able to complete the work out. Gradually reducing the amount of assistance over time. You'll get there.

I've never done P90x but I do 5 pull-ups every time I walk past my pull-up bar. That helped me a ton.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I would say use negatives as well once you can't do anymore. Do that instead of switching to assisted.
  • Hypsibius
    Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Slow negatives is really great idea, never thought of that and it makes a ton of sense. Found this online:

P90X Pull Ups Improvement Strategy #3 – Negative Pull Ups

This is an advanced strategy when you’re looking at just building up your entire pull-up ability. Here are the steps to achieve the negative pull up:
    • Cross Your Legs
    • Pull or Jump up to the Top of the Bar
    • Hold yourself at the Top for about 3-5 seconds
    • SLOWLY Lower Yourself down to the starting point (take about 3-5 seconds or longer to lower)
    • It seems simple, but your muscles will be put to work! The benefit? You’ll be rocking out your pull ups in no time with this strategy!

Thanks all -- this was really helpful.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Besides the negatives, you can grease the groove, throughout the day, try doing 1-2 pull ups every time you go past the bar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Besides the negatives, you can grease the groove, throughout the day, try doing 1-2 pull ups every time you go past the bar.

This.

For your actual workouts- use the chair- you can self modulate how much "assist" you give yourself. I find it gives a smoother guide than the band anyway.
  • datafan
    datafan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could try the pyramid method, I used it a few years back when I was working on increasing my pullup numbers and it helped me.

You start with 1 and increase by 1 each set building up to your max and then back down by 1 each set. So if your max is 5, you would do these sets: 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1. Rest between each set as needed, but not over three minutes. Even if you run out of gas, say you can't get the full set of 4 on the way back down, do as many as you can, rest and go for the next set. When you can get through all of the sets fully, add 1 to your max on the next workout, so 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4...

Do this two or three times a week and you will add pullups to your max.