accuracy between Ifit calorie burn or Polarft60?

Options
Ifit program takes everything in consideration, Weight, height, gender, bmi, heart rate, speed,incline distance. It works also with a Polar chest starp to monitar your heart rate.

I have been using Ifit calories burns for the past months. I got a Polar Ft60 this week because I was interrested in knowing how many calories I burn doing other exercise. I went on the treadmill today and used my new strap, the treadmill picked up the heart rate and was showing the same on the watch but I checked the calories burn...another story.... Ifit gave me a burn of 367 calories and the ft60 of 230 calories!!
I am very confused about wich one I should take since they both take my stats in consideration????????

Replies

• Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Diamond05
    Options
    Yesterday was even worse! I tried it again and Ifit said 469 calories versus 197 calories from the watch!!! I do think the machine ifit is overestimating as I noticed my calorie didnt change even though my heart rate didnt go as high as the other time... On the other hand the ft60 is giving me very low number and Im heavy ... I don't know, I hope I can figure this out!

If anyone ....
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Very intresting! I would like to know too! I jusut purchased the polar Ft60!!!
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Very intresting! I would like to know too! I jusut purchased the polar Ft60!!!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor estimates are most likely more accurate.
  • vonnyliz
    vonnyliz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and always take the calorie burn from that as being most accurate as the treadmill always shows a different reading.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    The Polar takes age/weight/gender into account as well. I'd trust the HRM over an app, any day. They're both based on averages, sure, but you have to think about what is going to give you the most accurate average.

My bet is on the HRM.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    My FT60 and my elliptical tell me the same thing. Go with the lowest number--most things overestimate I think.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitor is way more accurate than any machine. and, even if you want the number to be higher, your body knows exactly how much you burned even if you use an artificial machine number. its the same thing as if you eat 2 cookies, but only log 1...your body knows that you ate 2 ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's all an estimate, and I'd rather underestimate than overestimate with the NEAT method and eating back calories. Generally speaking, HRM's are relatively the most accurate, but still an estimate. Another measure is to assume roughly 100 calories per mile...generally, that's what an individual burns either running or walking that mile, give or take.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    When I was researching heart rate monitors, I read that they do not accurately determine calories burned during strength training. I use a calculator on self.com to determine the amount of calories I burn during strength training. I know it's not entirely accurate, but I don't eat back my exercise calories anyway.

Here's a link to a good read about calculating weight lifting calories:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • Diamond05
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

What really confuses me is the treadmill uses my heart rate too, my watch connects to it so i was expecting the same burn of calories or at least close too!!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

What really confuses me is the treadmill uses my heart rate too, my watch connects to it so i was expecting the same burn of calories or at least close too!!

The primary purpose of a treadmill is the operation of the belt so that you can run. That's what the manufacturer focuses on when the treadmill is being built. Add-ons are sometimes an afterthought to the manufacturer and they do not always get the same attention. Take, for example, the iFit tablet. It doesn't look as nice as an iPad because a tablet is not the primary focus of building a treadmill. The treadmill manufacturer found a deal for the cheapest tablet it could get (that would run the iFit program) and went with that.

The primary purpose of a HRM is keeping track of your HR and determining calories burnt. That's what the manufacturer focuses on when the HRM is being built.