Clothes when your starting - to buy or

opalle
opalle Posts: 234 Member
So I have a big family event this weekend. Its at a cabin at a lake. A lot of people will be there I haven't seen in a year. I've already accepted I'm going there 20lbs heavier than last year.  I was overweight last year too just not as much.  I know I'll get some comments but that's fine, I'm just looking forward to having fun and seeing family members I don't see often.

Problem is I'm figuring out what to pack and severely lacking in choices.  So do I go out and buy or try to  squeeze into something I won't be comfortable in?

Last year I knew I had to lose weight because no clothes fit. But my aunt gave me some hand me downs that were a sizes 12 and 14.  I think having lots of clothes that fit helped me get comfortable and complacent and I didn't try to lose the weight. What got me started this time is the hand me downs are now too small.

I already caved and got a couple things for work so I'm leery of getting more but I also want to to feel good and  comfortable this weekend too.

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited June 2015
    Why be uncomfortable in clothes that are too tight? You'll only be ultra-focused on your discomfort and not have a good time. Maybe just buy some basics: a pair of shorts, some shirts or tank tops, flip flops, a light jacket or sweater, jammies....just get the most reasonable and affordable stuff, wear it, have a blast, and come back with the intent to work to make those clothes fall off you.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Get some good used clothing at a used clothing store. Most of my clothes come from there. You can find some great things and they don't cost much.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    I would buy some additional clothing so you are comfortable. If you have your pants digging in to your stomach, or a too-tight shirt, you'll be more focused on the discomfort of what you're wearing, rather than enjoying your time with your family. If you are serious about losing weight, just get enough for you to have a few options until you go down a few sizes again. I kept a lot of my original starting clothes, and just used belts until they were too loose, and I was close to my goal. Then I really went to town with new stuff.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    if you need more comfy clothes buy them. 2nd hand stores are great for the fluctuating waistline
  • opalle
    opalle Posts: 234 Member
    Thank you. I think I just needed to hear it was ok. :)
    Heading to 2nd hand store this afternoon
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Buy enough to get you by for the event - and 1-2 extra tops so you have more options if you'll be at an event with these same people - and have fun! Wearing clothing that's too tight will just leave you focused on how uncomfortable you are.

Buy things that make you look fabulous. That will help :)

~Lyssa
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    Sounds like it will be casual anyway. I like the thrift store idea and if you do buy stuff, buy stuff that you can workout in. You want comfortable and who care if workout clothes get too big? Maybe some knit capris and a few T-shirts.