Finding a trainer

sofaking6
sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
I'm looking to find a good trainer to meet with me a couple of times and show me good form so I can get a lifting program started. I will need to modify a program to use dumbbells since I have very limited ROM on one shoulder. Where is the best place to look? Yelp only has like two reviews and Craigslist is full of people wanting to sell me meal plans and supplement. Is there a dedicate site out there? Thanks!

Replies

• MelissaRettie
    MelissaRettie Posts: 48 Member
    I don't know of any dedicated sites to find a personal trainer. I looked in to it a couple of months ago and was surprised at how expensive it can be! I decided to order an at home fitness trainer from Beachbody. They show all of the moves and have a program to meet everyone's goals. Plus it is much cheaper than a personal trainer! They also give you a fitness coach to help with motivation.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    I've had a few trainers over the years and I've gotten them all through my gym. I made it very clear what I was looking to do and they recommended people to me. A couple that I spoke to wanted to basically hook me so I couldn't do anything without them and those are the ones to avoid. Others, like my most recent one, were very knowledgable and didn't try to sell me anything. When I felt comfortable doing a strength program on my own, I asked for a couple sessions for her to watch my form on it which she did and gave me some starting points with the weights based on my abilities. Those are the ones who are worth the money.

I've also heard of personal training locations where they have all the equiment there and you can only work out with the personal trainer you hired then go back to your own gym to work out on your own. I've never done this but its an option.

I'd call a few places, ask to meet with trainers and get a feel for them before signing anything. Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Thanks all - great links Cherimoose!!!