A fruit is a fruit is a fruit!

Options
For whatever reason, the forums the past couple of days are contributed by people who either claim they are allergic to fruit or just don't like it. Then they name numerous alternatives to fruit, most of which are (egads!) fruit!

Just so you know, the following are actually fruits:

Avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers (which includes pickles), grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots).

Hope this helps everyone.

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Hazzah!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb is if it has seeds or a pit inside of it, it's a fruit.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Ecx
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    A general rule of thumb is if it has seeds or a pit inside of it, it's a fruit.

Except for strawberries. (I think.)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    But...but...but... ;)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    But...but...but... ;)

ROFL!!!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My daughter was heartbroken to learn her favorite veggie is a fruit... Cucumber!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    My daughter was heartbroken to learn her favorite veggie is a fruit... Cucumber!

Oh, no, poor baby, hug her tight for me!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Technically, all fruits are also vegetables.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to be allergic to all fruit. (And I'd hope it's not possible to dislike all of it, but I am endlessly amazed by how narrow some people's taste preferences are.)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So far she is coping as well as can be expected. The same child, as a toddler, loved the color green. You know how you tell your kids they can be anything they want to be when they grow up? Unfortunately she wanted to be a turtle. A green turtle.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    So far she is coping as well as can be expected. The same child, as a toddler, loved the color green. You know how you tell your kids they can be anything they want to be when they grow up? Unfortunately she wanted to be a turtle. A green turtle.

Better a green frog that can turn into a princess. But if she wants to be a turtle, my mantra is "slow and steady wins the race" so she has my support!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Not a
    For whatever reason, the forums the past couple of days are contributed by people who either claim they are allergic to fruit or just don't like it. Then they name numerous alternatives to fruit, most of which are (egads!) fruit!

Just so you know, the following are actually fruits:

Avocado, beans, peapods, corn kernels, cucumbers (which includes pickles), grains, nuts, olives peppers, pumpkin, squash, sunflower seeds and tomatoes. Vegetables include celery (stem), lettuce (leaves), cauliflower and broccoli (buds), and beets, carrots and potatoes (roots).

Hope this helps everyone.
    Not all beans are fruits such as string beans which are considered a vegetable. This is part of the reason someone saying they are allergic to all fruits because the classification of a fruit vegetable or legume does not always make sense. Someone may be allergic to certain groups of fruit such as Apples, pears, cherry and plums but the likelihood of being allergic to everything classified as a fruit is unlikely but not impossible

If people do honestly believe they are allergic to fruit they should seek a medical opinion to find out what specifically they are allergic to. As many food could contain traces an Anaphalaxis is a dangerous thing.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lol.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Favorite fruit hands down...avocado.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

If people do honestly believe they are allergic to fruit they should seek a medical opinion to find out what specifically they are allergic to. As many food could contain traces an Anaphalaxis is a dangerous thing.

No kidding!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to oranges. They make me break out with itchy bumps. I guess it's the citrus. I'm probably allergic to grapefruit too, but I don't like it. I still eat oranges, just not everyday.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I am allergic to oranges. They make me break out with itchy bumps. I guess it's the citrus. I'm probably allergic to grapefruit too, but I don't like it. I still eat oranges, just not everyday.

You may just be having a reaction to the acids in citrus. It's possible that it is not an allergy per se.

Get checked out by an allergist...it's not something to play around with.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Not all beans are fruits such as string beans which are considered a vegetable.
    [/q0uote]

Green peas are a fruit.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Not to be captain buzzkill, but if you get hives from oranges you should really not continue to eat them. Allergies get worse with each exposure.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Not all beans are fruits such as string beans which are considered a vegetable.
    [/q0uote]

Green peas are a fruit.

Only if they are still in their pods. If they aren't they are seeds.