Going on vacation in Chi Town.....Need food options around Ohare airport and Soldier field

Options
I started this weight loss journey with one mile stone in mind...Chicago this summer, and then a Labor Day...and then do maintenance until Jan of next year
I had originally planned for my vacay in Chi Town to be heavy on the traditional foods that Chicago has to offer like Brats, Deep Dish Pizza, Micro Brew beer. You get the picture, but I JUST CANNOT eat that. We are working on removing most diary and meat from our diet, and I am doing much better now that I am NOT eating heavily processed carbohydrates like white flour and white sugar.
Sooo if you are familiar with Chicago, and specifically the Soldier field area is there anywhere around that has the flavors of Chicago without giving me a heart attack.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Gino's East has a deep dish with tofurkey on a cauliflower crust.

Just kidding.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've never seen anything particularly healthier than the usual. Maybe just have less of the heavy stuff (1 slice of the door-stop pizza) and order it with a huge salad with dressing on the side?
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Life wouldn't be worth living without Lou Malnati's, IMHO.

Why not just bump up to maintenance and enjoy yourself? Have some of traditional stuff and include lots of veggies and salads with it.

There really isn't much traditional Chicago foods that are super healthy but they are all fine in moderation.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it might be difficult to find healthy variations of Chicago foods.

I was on vacation for a week and a half with my boyfriend just this past month in Florida. We ate out every single day and most of my choices weren't healthy especially because I love fried food. I let myself enjoy food that I normally wouldn't eat on a daily basis that week and I knew there was no way I'd stay at a deficit, so I switched to maintenance eating. The majority of the days consisted of me eating a light breakfast. Then, when we'd go out to a restaurant, I'd eat at least half my order which kept me full most of the day and finished the rest for dinner.

When I went back home, I checked the scale and only gained a pound which I believe was probably mostly water. A couple days later, I dropped back down to my original weight before I left for FL. After continuing my regular eating habits for a few more days, I dropped another pound.

So I'd say enjoy yourself while you're in Chicago. Don't expect to be in a deficit, but don't gorge on all the food either :)
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Looks like i am going to be eating kind veggie burritos.
  • ronrhoda
    ronrhoda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm on vacation.. I've have fish, salads and grilled chicken salads lots. A little lite dressing with lemon on top! We have another week before we start home. We to are in Illinois. Family and lots of food!! I'm managing and lots of exercise!!