Who has done the Tough Mudder? What was your training like? Tell your story!

Options
I have a sister thread on this, but wanted to get a better sense of:
  1. Who all has done the Tough Mudder
  2. Do you recommend it?
  3. What training did you do to prepare?
  4. What training did you WISH you had done? Or would recommend?
Already getting some great advice about hill and interval training. Right now tearing up P90x and will incorporate park running / hills... and possible a p90x/Insanity hybrid into the final weeks after I complete p90x.

You can see my goals / status here for how I'm tracking:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Rv7M0E5ArGwo_NXaZYXMB-1MGKdEGBMbpSwqQGkCa34/edit#gid=0

Feel free to post stories / photos / warnings / etc :smile:

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    1. I've done two TM's, but prefer Spartan Races. I've done 6 of them so far. And some other smaller OCR's. I was going to do my third TM in October but qualified for OCR World Championships and decided to attend that instead :)

2. YES YES YES - I recommend everyone attempts an OCR. I promise you won't regret crossing that finish line.

3. There are many ways to train for OCRs. People have their own preferences. Some do standard weight lifting, others Crossfit, etc. Currently I do trail running and have a PT that cherry picks Beach Body programs for me to do each week. I pay $15 a month for live streaming and have access to ALL their programs. So she sets me up for my key races. I've been working with her for like 6 weeks and have noticed an incredible increase in my performance. I've been doing a lot of P90X2 lately.

4. I highly recommend a well rounded strategic program. I've overtrained and it was awful. You need to be able to run, lift things and pull your own body weight around in an OCR. Follow or develop an overall body performance program. Best advice is to do one and then adjust your training as you go. Your strengths and weaknesses will become apparent fast. Never overlook flexibility either - you need it more than you might think!

Feel free to friend/PM me - I am constantly posting about my training and nutrition and races. My schedule this year had over 16 races on it. Already did quite a few. I'm blogging about my season here: www.pushinglimitsocr.com/blog
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    1. I've done one and plan to do more :)
    2. Totally recommend it! It's incredibly challenging and fun!
    3. I ran, I lifted weights, and I did the Tough Mudder bootcamp workout here and there. I definitely should've trained more though.
    4. I wish I'd done more running and more bodyweight exercises. Those really help get you up and over the obstacles. As for the running, I think I could've recovered quicker had I put in more miles.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience that I plan on doing again (and again and again!)