Help! What Can I Eat?

A lot of people ask questions along the lines of: "What are the foods I can eat to lose weight?" So I thought it would be helpful to put together a comprehensive list of all the foods that you can eat while dieting!

Meats:
chicken (white or dark meat)
turkey (again, white or dark)
beef (lean cuts or less lean cuts)
fish, shellfish, and seafood
venison
elk
bison
veal
lamp
mutton
pork (including ham, bacon, boar, etc.)
sausages
offal meats (liver, heart, etc.)
goat
rabbit
pigeon (squab if you want to be fancy about it)
poussin (what is this even? it appears to be some kind of bird)
squirrel
goose
duck
grouse
partridge
pheasant
quail
snake
alligator
kangaroo
ostrich
turtle
escargot (let's be honest: snails)
frog
moose

And I gave up after the meats. By the time I was about to add camel, beaver, and alpaca meat, the project proved to be way too large.

Is this what people want when they ask the question? Absolutely not in most cases. This list is on the nit picky side and nobody likes a nit picker. Many of them want a simple diet plan. Some of them are bored with their current options or don't have a lot of experience with foods and want more variety in their diet. Some of them are looking for those "10 Weird Foods" that will help with weight loss. A lot of them are just lost in the conflicting information of the diet industry. I get that.

But I'm also trying to prove a point. The options are literally endless. And I mean that literally. Imagine this list stretching just through the produce section of the world. I'm not sure how long MFP allows posts to be, but I suspect we would find out with a list like that. Now add in all of the different cultures of the world and their various cuisines. Different taste combinations and cooking methods. The list would be huge!

So what's my point? "What can I eat to lose weight?" by itself will give you an overwhelming number of responses. A lot of us boil the answer down to some variation on: "Things that you like that fit in your goals." That's not people being snarky just for the sake of it. That's a real answer and one that's meant to open the mind to some of the wonderful possibilities out there.

There are a ton of foods to be discovered out there, but we can't tell what you'll like or not like. We don't know what will fit into your goals best. You're in this for the long haul and you have to be able to maintain once you reach your goals. Start with foods that you like, even if they aren't traditionally considered healthy. Find ways to make them fit into your goals. Figure out what keeps you feeling better throughout the day; it'll be different from person to person. Branch out and try new things. Read nutrition labels at the grocery store. Watch your macro and micro numbers to see how you're doing nutritionally. Include a new food in your diet every week. Try a new recipe every Wednesday. Check out sites like Eating Well, Cooking Light, Pinterest, Skinny Taste, or others. Whatever works best for you.

It takes some time to build a personal food routine, but it will serve you better in the long run than sticking to a handful of recommended foods.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    True! It also depends on the person and their decisions with eating... are they following a specific diet plan or do they have allergies or food restrictions?
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Short answer to the 'what can I eat' question...... IIFYM

Great opening post :smile:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I have only two rules for what I can eat: 1. It is safe to consume. 2. I like it.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Simple answer:

3a4yf9pgmgdb.jpg

****within moderation
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    edited June 2015
    apparently, I don't have the brainpower to post images, today. but PREACH IT, GURL!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    This was a wonderful post and should have a stickie!
    Many of them want a simple diet plan. Some of them are bored with their current options ... and want more variety in their diet.

So the solution is to ask for and start another rigid diet plan. I don't get that. I don't understand people.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So true, great points.

Besides, do people really have that much variety in their eating habits anyway, outside of poor planning and grabbing whatever fast food is around?

Seems like you could pre-plan 3-4 different breakfasts that you'll switch between (or skip it so there is no difficulty there), than 4-6 different lunches, maybe 8-12 different dinners that are always done.

I guess MFP and the literally TDEE daily changes can make it a tad challenging for those that actually follow the program correctly, but still, throw in a snack or two for the workouts, done.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    I Love the Responses!! Why do some people make it so hard??
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    But... but.... when are you going to tell me WHAT TO EAT? Please plan out my daily calories for me, but also make sure it's stuff I like, can afford, and can easily obtain/cook. If I don't stick to it after that, I'm sure it's still your fault.

That is exactly what I needed to kick start this weight loss journey. I am pretty open and willing to eat what is on on the plan, but coming up with an eating plan all on my own was overwhelming and I failed over and over.

I searched online and found a six week eating plan that Women's Health had published. I followed it very strictly the first week, and have followed it with some flexibility since then. It was nice to have a plan written out, with recipes and a grocery list right there. It helped me change my eating habits and make healthier choices.

Was it custom tailored? No, but it fit my needs while I change my lifestyle.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    Dawn410 wrote: »
    But... but.... when are you going to tell me WHAT TO EAT? Please plan out my daily calories for me, but also make sure it's stuff I like, can afford, and can easily obtain/cook. If I don't stick to it after that, I'm sure it's still your fault.

That is exactly what I needed to kick start this weight loss journey. I am pretty open and willing to eat what is on on the plan, but coming up with an eating plan all on my own was overwhelming and I failed over and over.

I searched online and found a six week eating plan that Women's Health had published. I followed it very strictly the first week, and have followed it with some flexibility since then. It was nice to have a plan written out, with recipes and a grocery list right there. It helped me change my eating habits and make healthier choices.

Was it custom tailored? No, but it fit my needs while I change my lifestyle.

Erm... I think you might've missed some of the sarcasm there.

I get why certain plans are helpful to some people, though. But typically, I've realized that those people are largely those who know absolutely nothing about weight loss. If you're going to follow a plan developed by someone else because you initially lack the knowledge and experience to lose, that's fine - but do yourself a huge favor and use the time within the plan to learn.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    No, I got the sarcasm. I'm just sticking up for the people like me who really needed a good eating plan. I wasn't sure where to look. Instead of making fun of people with the "what to eat" question, I thought I would post what I used and be a bit helpful.

I do know about nutrition and exercise. But having it written out for me to follow strictly while I hit the rest button on my bad eating habits, really helped me to stay disciplined. And they did a better job portion in out the protein and vegetables than I would have. Previously, my focus was strictly on calories. Now I know more about macro nutrients and such.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    I do know about nutrition and exercise. But having it written out for me to follow strictly while I hit the rest button on my bad eating habits, really helped me to stay disciplined. And they did a better job portion in out the protein and vegetables than I would have. Previously, my focus was strictly on calories. Now I know more about macro nutrients and such.

Fair point. And you learned. My original intent was to emphasize that pre-organized plans by 3rd parties aren't a sustainable life change, but they are decent tools for getting one started if one doesn't know where to start. The rest of one's life isn't going to consist of pre-made, measured out meals. There are going to be a ton of nights out with friends, bad days when one can only eat what's fast and convenient, vists to other houses where someone else has cooked, birthday parties, office parties, etc. One needs to learn how to eat in real-life because real-life is going to, occasionally, turn any plan (effective or not) on its head.

(This is also why I differ from some MFP'ers. Because while I agree that weighing is very helpful in getting a clear picture of what you're actually eating, it's just impractical in many situations. For staple meals, it's fine - but you're not going to see me pull out a food scale in the middle of a dinner date.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    No, I got the sarcasm. I'm just sticking up for the people like me who really needed a good eating plan. I wasn't sure where to look. Instead of making fun of people with the "what to eat" question, I thought I would post what I used and be a bit helpful.

I got the humor too, and also have sympathy for people who need help.

I refer them to https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/. People can subscribe and get recipes emailed to them a few times a week.

In today's email: 15 Work-Friendly Lunches Under 400 Calories
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    This concept was entirely liberating for me. When I lost my weigh successfully, going on 4 years ago now, the light bulb went on when I figured out these simple concepts:

- You have a calorie budget set appropriately for you and your goals
    - You eat whatever you like within that budget, using a little common sense
    - Exercise can give you a larger budget
    => Lose, maintain, or gain as desired

No more special diets! No more starving! No more guesswork! As a special bonus, special occasions and splurges don't have to derail you!

Some people treat "IIFYM" with derision: "Sure, you could eat donuts all day long...", but for me this concept has been a gift and has added years to my life (hopefully!) as well as improving the quality thereof.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    What to eat:
    -foods you enjoy and fit into your calories/macros
    -foods that don't make you ill
    -foods that aren't spoiled

Obviously Dianne's list was going to be a bit more thorough, but she always does great with these. :flowerforyou:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never understand why people think it's easier to start with preplanned foods and recipes (which they might not even like) vs. just buying foods they like and cooking them as they prefer. But then I'm someone who hates following recipes (although I love reading cookbooks for fun) and found cooking a lot easier once I started working with what's on hand rather than going out and buying specific ingredients as if there's some reason it's preferable to have broccoli with my chicken rather than the asparagus that's already at home.

I also think it's sad when people think losing weight requires them to eat "diet" foods, like ground turkey or boneless, skinless chicken breast (both which can be fine as part of an overall varied diet).

I didn't much change the way I cooked when losing weight, though--I just made some modifications to save calories and started being better about doing it routinely. I am one of those who think people go out of their way to make everything more complicated than it needs to be, and that's why I hate those eating plans so much--they go along with the idea that eating a healthy, balanced way is hard and requires special instructions.

Anyway, I love the opening post.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    (This is also why I differ from some MFP'ers. Because while I agree that weighing is very helpful in getting a clear picture of what you're actually eating, it's just impractical in many situations. For staple meals, it's fine - but you're not going to see me pull out a food scale in the middle of a dinner date.)

QFT. For me, I didn't follow any plan, just started reducing what I ate. After a few months, I stopped being so strict with my logging and gave best estimates based on what I had been eating. And you know what? I still lost weight. By learning to log what I eat and how to judge (at least roughly) what I'm eating, it made me more aware about choices when I do eat out, or for holidays. Much easier to keep up for the rest of my life than taking the time to weigh EVERY. LITTLE. THING.

Using a pre-planned meal plan for starting your journey is helpful to some. Just need to be aware that you need to learn how it works and how you can adapt it for the future so it becomes sustainable for the rest of your life. Sadly, this is a skill many people don't want to learn because they want a quick and easy solution, so they go for the 'diets' out there and they don't think of what they'll do afterwards.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Great post.

I think what happens when someone first starts the process of weight loss, they feel overwhelmed (I know I did). You really don't know where to begin. The media and weight loss industry has inundated us with "you have to eat healthy, blah blah blah". But 'healthy' needs to be taken into context. I mean, you can eat tons of fruits and veggies and still not be eating 'healthy'. Then newbies are left to wade through the diets and broscience and everything looks sooooo confusing.

But in short, eat your normal everyday foods, in moderation. Without these forums, I would never have figured it out and probably still would be floundering. It's posts like these that gave me my 'lightbulb' moment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never understand why people think it's easier to start with preplanned foods and recipes (which they might not even like) vs. just buying foods they like and cooking them as they prefer. But then I'm someone who hates following recipes (although I love reading cookbooks for fun) and found cooking a lot easier once I started working with what's on hand rather than going out and buying specific ingredients as if there's some reason it's preferable to have broccoli with my chicken rather than the asparagus that's already at home.

I also think it's sad when people think losing weight requires them to eat "diet" foods, like ground turkey or boneless, skinless chicken breast (both which can be fine as part of an overall varied diet).

I didn't much change the way I cooked when losing weight, though--I just made some modifications to save calories and started being better about doing it routinely. I am one of those who think people go out of their way to make everything more complicated than it needs to be, and that's why I hate those eating plans so much--they go along with the idea that eating a healthy, balanced way is hard and requires special instructions.

Anyway, I love the opening post.

These may be people who are trying to transition from living on fast food and have no idea how to cook.

Because I cook, it was simple for me to also do what I bolded that you did.