Knee pain-running & squats **please help!**

Options
lilolilo920
lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
edited June 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
hello! I am a distance runner and recently I have been having some pain in the back of my knee a few miles into my run and also when I bend my knee deeper (like in a squat, often I feel this pain when I'm crouching to clean off my mat after an exercise class). I've been wrapping it and taking ibuprofen as well as doing a few different exercises that are supposed to help my pain but it hasn't done too much. So, my question is, does anyone know any good exercises I can do to help with my knee pain? I have been taking a break from running but I'm already signed up for a marathon in October that I will need to begin training for soon. Any advice?? Is it possible it's just from havin weak hips or a need of new running shoes? Any help would be greatly appreciated (and hopefully this isn't a stupid question, I'm just starting to get anxious about what to do).

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You mention new shoes.....how many miles are on your current ones?

This may be helpful......

webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee

If the pain has been persisting for a while and doesn't respond to rest it's worth getting it checked out (I had a Bakers' cyst a couple of years ago and until it ruptured I'd never even heard of it, fortunately the doc at the ER was also a runner)

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Where did you get the exercises? Have you seen a doctor or PT? Do you know what the problem is (i.e. calf/gastroc tendinitis, lower hamstring strain or tendinitis, etc)? By "back of the knee, do you mean underneath the kneecap or literally the back of your leg? Did it start suddenly (a moment of trauma) and then become recurring, or did the pain come on gradually? What exercises are you trying? How long have you been working on them? Stretching?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    As I said in my PM to you, go to a doctor for a diagnosis and prescription for rehab.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Please go to a doctor if you're having trouble with your knees OP.
  • lilolilo920
    Options
    Where did you get the exercises? Have you seen a doctor or PT? Do you know what the problem is (i.e. calf/gastroc tendinitis, lower hamstring strain or tendinitis, etc)? By "back of the knee, do you mean underneath the kneecap or literally the back of your leg? Did it start suddenly (a moment of trauma) and then become recurring, or did the pain come on gradually? What exercises are you trying? How long have you been working on them? Stretching?

I know a few from an athletic trainer I talked with last year, others I looked up online. I am currently in the process of scheduling an appointment with my general physician who will hopefully refer me to a PT (my insurance won't pay for it without a referral). I'm pretty sure it's runners knee but I haven't had it formally diagnosed. The pain is on the side of my kneecap (inside, mainly above) and literally the back of my leg. There wasn't a specific trauma, it was definitely a gradual progression. I have been using a baseball to try to break up knots (my fo roller wasn't hitting it hard enough for me to see improvement), clamshells, leg lifts, and a few different moves with a theraband-just tying it to my ankle and going forwards, backwards, & sideways. I've been working on it for about 2 weeks but I have gotten more serious with the PT this week-last week it was more ibuprofen and wrapping it up!!
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If it was the front of your knee, I'd have a few suggestions (patellar tendon issues are usually due to poor squat form or lack of flexibility). The back of your knee is another story entirely. You could have a cyst or a minor tear in your meniscus. Best case scenario would be a strain. Any of these possible issues will prevent you from running your marathon if you don't get checked out right away.
  • sportjunky578
    sportjunky578 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems too I get them out of no where during a run from the front n sides of both knees taking a brake from running n riding my bike seems to work for me but if you have to much pain you might want to see a doctor.
  • lilolilo920
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You mention new shoes.....how many miles are on your current ones?

This may be helpful......

webmd.com/pain-management/knee-pain/runners-knee

If the pain has been persisting for a while and doesn't respond to rest it's worth getting it checked out (I had a Bakers' cyst a couple of years ago and until it ruptured I'd never even heard of it, fortunately the doc at the ER was also a runner)
    My current shoes probably have about 350 miles on them, I was planning on getting new ones late July/early August.
    I will for sure check that link out!! Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it! Wow, that must've been scary. I am hoping to see my doctor as soon as I can get an appointment.
  • lilolilo920
    Options
    PhilP0wer wrote: »
    If it was the front of your knee, I'd have a few suggestions (patellar tendon issues are usually due to poor squat form or lack of flexibility). The back of your knee is another story entirely. You could have a cyst or a minor tear in your meniscus. Best case scenario would be a strain. Any of these possible issues will prevent you from running your marathon if you don't get checked out right away.

Oh gosh that's really scary. Thank you for your honest opinion! I will get this checked out ASAP! In the meantime, I'm going to try and stay off of it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    As I said in my PM to you, go to a doctor for a diagnosis and prescription for rehab.

this
  • coachjschroth
    coachjschroth Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into flossing techniques using voodoo bands and joint distraction techniques. I had the same problem a couple of months ago from excessive squatting. Pain on the back of the knee on the lateral aspect of the leg as well as extreme discomfort during end range knee flexion. Foam roller was also not doing anything for me and I do plenty of soft tissue work. Was introduced to flossing and band distraction by Dr. Kelly Starret of MobilityWOD and have been pain free evr since. I've also been doing ice therapy religiously and that kinda put the icing on top of the cake. I'm now able to express pain free full ROM on all movements. Hope this helps. The more work you do the more maintenance you have to perform on soft tissues . It's just the nature of the game.
  • lilolilo920
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!!
  • lilolilo920
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would suggest looking into flossing techniques using voodoo bands and joint distraction techniques. I had the same problem a couple of months ago from excessive squatting. Pain on the back of the knee on the lateral aspect of the leg as well as extreme discomfort during end range knee flexion. Foam roller was also not doing anything for me and I do plenty of soft tissue work. Was introduced to flossing and band distraction by Dr. Kelly Starret of MobilityWOD and have been pain free evr since. I've also been doing ice therapy religiously and that kinda put the icing on top of the cake. I'm now able to express pain free full ROM on all movements. Hope this helps. The more work you do the more maintenance you have to perform on soft tissues . It's just the nature of the game.
    That's exactly the pain I have been having!! I think you hit the nail on the head there. Ahh thank you so much, I was so worried it was some crazy tear! I really appreciate the advice, thank you!
    That's exactly the pain I have been having!! I think you hit the nail on the head there. Ahh thank you so much, I was so worried it was some crazy tear! I really appreciate the advice, thank you!

Update:I looked him up & tried some of the videos-my knees already feel 10 times better. I can't thank you enough!!! I'll be back to 100% in no time. Thank you!
  • coachjschroth
    Options
    You're welcome
  • coachjschroth
    Options
    I'm glad I was able to help. Keep up the hard work!