GARMIN HRM "Walking, slow pace" Whhhhhhyyyyyy!!

Options
Hey there!

So I got a Garmin Vivofit in March and loved it so much I went ahead and purchased the Garmin HRM. I thought MFP was over estimating burned calories and wanted a more accurate number. I was just wondering if anyone else noted that the HRM puts the exercise in as "Walking, slow pace 2.5mph"? I don't know why this irritates me, maybe I think it's mocking me, but I work my rear off sweating bullets and I get annoyed. LOL

Does anyone know how to change it to just say something generic like "exercise with HRM"?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    MFP does the same thing when I import exercise from my Wahoo TICKR. It's annoying.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    you can enter your own exercise into the database if it bothers you.

but a 2.5mph is, on average, a slow walk.
    I walk fast compared to most people and thus have to slow down, I've noticed an average, comfortable walking pace is around 3.0-3.3mph. Which makes me stabby.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I wasn't even walking. I was on the elliptical and then the recumbent bike. At least the calories were accurate to what the Wahoo app told me. (Definitely more calories than a slow walk would have burnt.)
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it. MFP takes whatever data it gets and then does something "magical" with it. What that is is not exactly clear. It always messes up my pace.

On the plus side, at least MFP thinks we are moving. For one active distance runner here, the MFP magic claims he is "running in place". For two hours!

For ego reasons you might wish to manually input everything.

For ease of use reasons, you might wish to park ego and just let Garmin Connect -> MFP do its thing and laugh.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been using the MAPMYFITNESS app made by the same people as MFP and has been working pretty well for me. It usually calls my pace a "leisurely walk", which it is. :smile: