"What's Your Secret?"

Options
13»

Replies

• guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So true. I have thin friends they do not keep track of cals, they do it automatically, small portions, stop eating when feeling full. But for me I don't stop eating, so I have to keep track.
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    "What's Your Secret?"

I have lost 25 lbs and I am happy and proud of that, but I keep hearing the same question: "What's your secret?"... Now I am finally going to divulge my secret:

The secret is, that there is NO secret. A secret easy step to losing weight is like the Holy Grail. Those that search for it will never find it...it doesn't exist.

Losing weight is SIMPLE in PRINCIPLE but HARD to DO. The principle is easy math: Calories in must be less than calories out...or for the Algebraic amongst us: if A=calories eaten and B=calories burned, A<B=weight lost. That's it.

Of course, knowing the gas makes the car move and the brake pedal makes it stop doesn't make someone a good driver. Knowing that eating less makes you lose weight doesn't make it easy. So what am I supposed to eat?

Well that isn't a difficult question really...Remember how your mom told you to "eat your vegetables"? Well....EAT YOUR VEGETABLES! Eat less meat, use less fat when you cook and prepare food. Restaurants have ruined Americans sense of what a "portion" is. A real portion is much smaller than what you get at Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Also, your plate should be 75% vegetable and 25% (or less) meat. Not the other way around.

In short, we all know what to eat and do to lose weight...we just don't want to do it..

Great post - however the last paragraph isn't necessarily true. You can eat meat or most anything you want. It's portion control and working exercise into your routine. Yes eat your vegetables! Good luck everyone!
  • gmoneycole
    Options
    LOL this is the #1 question that everyone asks me.

Funny story, I had this guy at work argue with me, like I was telling a lie. He said he had some female friends that were trying to lose weight and wanted to know what my secret was (thought I took some pills or something). I told him that I work out and I'm eating differently.
    He said "I saw how big you were and you cannot tell me that you were just working out" - Needless to say I wanted to punch him in the mouth, but didn't the HR backlash lol.

I told him that it is all I did and he just walked away. People don't want to put in the work

Punch him in the mouth - just off company property. :)
  • gmoneycole
    Options
    Yep. I tell people "It's just math." I count my calories and I work out to burn more calories than I eat. Like, all those years where the doctor said, "You can lose weight and improve your health with diet and exercise," . . . . ? Well, turns out you can lose weight and improve your health . . . with diet and exercise. Go figure.

I've also had people ask, "Are you . . . all right?" And I laugh and say, "Oh yes. I don't have cancer or some wasting disease. I'm just eating less and exercising more, that's all. Everything is fine."

And everything IS fine, pretty much. I'm now off my blood-pressure meds, for instance. My clothes fit better. I feel much more energetic. I deal with stress better. I'm not tired all the time. You know?

Congrats on your continuing work and your weight loss!

Keep up the good work man!
  • gmoneycole
    Options
    I had an aunt ask me this, I told her about MFP and the workouts I was doing, that the key to weight loss is portion control, she put her nose in the air and said "I can't do that." I asked her if she couldn't do it or she wouldn't do it? You can do anything you set your mind to do but it can't be a matter of interest, it has to be a commitment, it has to be something you desire and as some have called me "Obsess" over. Which I don't call it obsessive, I call it determined to see my body where I desire it.

Call it what ever you want - you look awesome! We all have those relatives that "can't do it" - but oh yes they could if they wanted to. Nice job on your dedication. I'm getting back on track, thanks for the inspiration.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do the toddler diet,

Breakfast lick a banana and eat one Cheerios found under the sofa

Run like crazy, drop and have a temper tantrum

Have a nap

Lunch, eat 3 piece of cheese, throw everything else on my plate on the floor

Nap

Run like crazy then walk very slowly to look at everything on my way to be sure the person I am with get aggravated

Have a temper tantrum

Diner, eat ketchup

Crash in bed

I should write a book, I see $$$$$$$

( I just eat less, move more but that story is boring)
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Tbh my secret is not living in America and being exposed to things like Applebees and Olive Garden :wink:

Edit: Oh yeah, and tracking calories in vs out.

The most obese country in the world is New Zealand. So don't go picking on the Americans! They just produce more tv shows about obesity! (I'm not American btw)
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Tbh my secret is not living in America and being exposed to things like Applebees and Olive Garden :wink:

Edit: Oh yeah, and tracking calories in vs out.

The most obese country in the world is New Zealand. So don't go picking on the Americans! They just produce more tv shows about obesity! (I'm not American btw)

LOL. Well I guess there are unhealthy places everywhere. BurgerFuel certainly wouldn't help my cause.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think when you tell people "diet and exercise" they have visions of eating nothing but celery and carrot sticks and doing calisthenics all day.

After I had lost about 15 lbs, two of my co-workers asked what my "secret" was. I proceeded to tell them about calories in, calories out, MFP, BMR, and TDEE. One of them looked at the other and said, "I'm going to call so-and-so. She's lost of ton of weight. I think she's doing the such-and such diet." Needless to say, neither of them has lost any weight despite one of them being told by her doctor she has to lose 60 lbs before she can have a hernia operation.

Now, I usually tell people that ask that I try to be aware of how many calories I'm eating every day (diet) and getting out and walking more (exercise). Some of them are still disappointed, but a few of them have actually started to "diet and exercise" now, lol.
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot as well.
    I tell people that its about 75% nutrition and 25% about exercise. Many people think that I live in the gym( when in fact I only spend about 5 to 6 hours a week working out).
    Eat whole and unprocessed foods to meet your daily caloric goals. Do the math, it works for most of us....
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I had this amusing conversation just last week:

Wow! You really *are* losing weight. It's really obvious!
    Thanks!
    What are you doing?
    Oh, just eating better and exercising better.
    What are you eating?
    Just food. But in better proportions as far as proteins, carbs, and fats.
    No, but what are you eating?
    Just food. Lots of vegetables, fruits, chicken, fish, beef, eggs, hummus, beans, yogurt, potatoes, rice, cereal, milk. Just food.
    No, but what are you eating to lose weight?
    Yeah. Vegetables, fruits, meats, beans, dairy, whole grains. Just food. Just in better proportions and portion sizes.
    No, but what are you eating that's making you lose the weight?
    Yeah. Good food,. Just in a better way.
    Come on! Really, what are you eating?

I ended up just giving her a mysterious smile and walking away. I was highly amused.

I have similar conversations all of the time! My former coworkers were the worst (a couple of months ago)..."But how can you eat ice cream and be losing weight?? I just eat turkey lunchmeat and salad and I haven't lost weight yet"
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!