BELVIQ new weight loss prescription works

Options
Hi,
I am new to this forum and just recently committed to losing my excess body weight. I am overweight by at least 40 lbs. I like carbs. I like sweets, bread, pasta, potatoes etc and they like me cause they climb on board and never leave.
So I have been very interested in something that could aid me in loosing these friends. A new weight-loss prescription drug called BELVIQ is now available(06/11/13) and I started taking it. I have no side effects, no feeling un-nerved as I have with other medications like phentermine or the latest version of phentermine Qsymia which is also got horrible safety issues.
So what does it make you feel like? I can't really explain but I just don't seem to crave things since I started a new diet of mostly a low carb and adding good carbs like natural foods. Trying to minimize processed foods too. The other day I ate a small salad and started eating main course of roasted pork and green beans and I just had to stop eating after a few bites. Its like I am feeling full.

So I plan to succeed this time around and would be happy to hear from others their thoughts.

Replies

• jimbean58118
    Options
    Are you an investor in Arena Pharmaceuticals which makes Belviq? I read investors in Arena are spamming message boards to promote this drug.
  • dclancy123
    Options
    I joined MyfitnessPal to keep track of my calories and exercise, kind of a journal. My doctor recommended Belviq and it's working so far, just don't have the desire to eat like I used to and why I failed so many diets. I posted here in the forum so that others could share in the information. I see so many people struggling to be good and with Belviq it's not a struggle one bit.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Thing is, it shouldn't be a diet, but a lifestyle change. If there were truly a magic pill you think the US would have an epidemic called obesity?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Relying on a drug to keep you in check because of discipline issues with food, will keep you relying on it. If you're gonna do it the rest of your life, then more power to you. If you think you're just going to take it till you get to goal weight, get ready to regain once you get off of it.................then go through the cycle again. And again. And again.
    This is why diets fail.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • graceacruz
    graceacruz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not an associated with Arena in any way. My knowledge of Belviq came as a medical student. I'm now 5 months from graduation. For certain (presumably well-meaning) people to suggest this is all a matter of "discipline" insults my intelligence. I have plenty of discipline. I have excelled in med school despite being an older, non-traditional student, and likewise, passed all my board exams, despite simultaneously raising a family.

Ever since being diagnosed with a thyroid disorder, I seem to have developed an addictive relationship with food, not unlike a binge eating disorder. It's odd, because I was always neurotic control freak with my food and spent most of my life thin. Sadly, I used to mock overweight individuals saying it was all a matter of "diet and exercise." That may be true for some, but certainly not everyone. In a last ditch effort to remove the now 70 lbs I gained, I started taking the medicine 3 days ago. In my case, it has helped tremendously with sugar cravings. Also, instead of walking around feeling ravenous and wanting to eat everything in sight, I feel much more in control.

The fact of the matter is that eating disorders are real. They are often managed with SSRIs/anti-depressants. As most of the AD medications have side effects that most people, including myself, find unacceptable, I hoped that Belviq would be tolerable. And so far, it is. Mild fatigue and slight headache are the only adverse effects I've experienced.

Bottom line: Don't paint everyone with such a broad brush. Some forms of obesity are not the result of simple explainable causes. Would you deny someone the right to better their health even if it requires a medication?
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I'm not an associated with Arena in any way. My knowledge of Belviq came as a medical student. I'm now 5 months from graduation. For certain (presumably well-meaning) people to suggest this is all a matter of "discipline" insults my intelligence. I have plenty of discipline. I have excelled in med school despite being an older, non-traditional student, and likewise, passed all my board exams, despite simultaneously raising a family.

Ever since being diagnosed with a thyroid disorder, I seem to have developed an addictive relationship with food, not unlike a binge eating disorder. It's odd, because I was always neurotic control freak with my food and spent most of my life thin. Sadly, I used to mock overweight individuals saying it was all a matter of "diet and exercise." That may be true for some, but certainly not everyone. In a last ditch effort to remove the now 70 lbs I gained, I started taking the medicine 3 days ago. In my case, it has helped tremendously with sugar cravings. Also, instead of walking around feeling ravenous and wanting to eat everything in sight, I feel much more in control.

The fact of the matter is that eating disorders are real. They are often managed with SSRIs/anti-depressants. As most of the AD medications have side effects that most people, including myself, find unacceptable, I hoped that Belviq would be tolerable. And so far, it is. Mild fatigue and slight headache are the only adverse effects I've experienced.

Bottom line: Don't paint everyone with such a broad brush. Some forms of obesity are not the result of simple explainable causes. Would you deny someone the right to better their health even if it requires a medication?

You are right that there are some people that it will help. And for those people, I hope it works. But the vast majority of people will be looking at it as the "magic pill" which will let them lose weight without effort, without struggle, simply because they DO lack the discipline and motivation to do it. And yes, pharmaceutical companies do things like pay people to troll on message forums like this to promote their "magical elixir". Drug companies, weight loss companies, exercise companies, you name it. The diet and weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar industry in the US. For good reason. Americans want that quick fix. That one pill that will solve all their problems. When the one simple solution, the one exercise that will help more than any other is the push away. Push away from the table.

I was out with friends last night at O'Charley's just for a drink. While I was there, I was just curious so I looked at their menu at the appetizers. For their appetizers for an order of Chicken Tenders, no sauce, just the chicken tenders, was 800 calories. With a sauce its over 1200. Their catfish dinner is over 2,000. So someone goes in gets an appetizer, the dinner, dessert, and drink or two, and boom, they are 4,000 calories or more, just for dinner. Throw in breakfast, lunch, snacks during the day, someone would be at what, 6,000-8,000 calories for the day? Any wonder why there is an obesity problem.

As a medical student, when you are in practice in a couple of years, would you prescribe Belviq as the first line of weight loss for your patient? Or would you counsel diet and exercise? That is the fear many of us have. People wanting it as their first response. When diet and exercise is what the vast majority of people need to do.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No. :mad:
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options

I agree that eating disorders exist, and no one is suggesting that you aren't disciplined ... I am also disciplined, however that didn't stop me from socking on the weight. Simply because you are disciplined in one aspect of your life, doesn't mean you will be in other aspects without huge effort. Addiction exist for many reasons, food addictions are really no different than other external addiction (except for the fact you have to eat to live), and eating disorders are generally the result of other issues. Eating right and exercise is the answer not a magic pill. In the mean time as we learn to live this new life, we can work on the issues that got us here in the first place. Time to do the hard work and not look for an easy way.
  • dclancy123
    Options
    Eating right and exercise is hard and does take an effort to make a true change. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who though they have succeeded in losing weight are taking other drugs(hypertension, diabetes, anti-depressants on and on) but there seems to be something illegitimate about any drug that enhances ones chances of leading a better healthier life through weight-loss. I have heard the stories of countless people return with a vengeance to their original weight or worse. It has never been limited to people taking drugs, yes those "self-disciplined" people have yo-yo-ed back also. Counseling people to rely on will power is a disservice to what websites such as this are for. If it works and it helps then more power to those who have benefited.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I'd rather not be written a prescription to my success. There's no honor in that for me. I would have zero pride in myself and my accomplishments if everything I did was only because some pill made me not want to eat. Willpower is the fix all. If you didn't want it, you wouldn't strive for it. Keep your drugs.
  • graceacruz
    Options
    You are right that there are some people that it will help. And for those people, I hope it works. But the vast majority of people will be looking at it as the "magic pill" which will let them lose weight without effort, without struggle, simply because they DO lack the discipline and motivation to do it. And yes, pharmaceutical companies do things like pay people to troll on message forums like this to promote their "magical elixir". Drug companies, weight loss companies, exercise companies, you name it. The diet and weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar industry in the US. For good reason. Americans want that quick fix. That one pill that will solve all their problems. When the one simple solution, the one exercise that will help more than any other is the push away. Push away from the table.

I was out with friends last night at O'Charley's just for a drink. While I was there, I was just curious so I looked at their menu at the appetizers. For their appetizers for an order of Chicken Tenders, no sauce, just the chicken tenders, was 800 calories. With a sauce its over 1200. Their catfish dinner is over 2,000. So someone goes in gets an appetizer, the dinner, dessert, and drink or two, and boom, they are 4,000 calories or more, just for dinner. Throw in breakfast, lunch, snacks during the day, someone would be at what, 6,000-8,000 calories for the day? Any wonder why there is an obesity problem.

As a medical student, when you are in practice in a couple of years, would you prescribe Belviq as the first line of weight loss for your patient? Or would you counsel diet and exercise? That is the fear many of us have. People wanting it as their first response. When diet and exercise is what the vast majority of people need to do.

I certainly agree that much of the problem with obesity is the abundance of extremely high calorie/poor nutrient density food, limited access to healthy alternatives, and jobs/lifestyles that are primarily sedentary. Hearing what people think is healthy or a normal portion is frustrating. To that end, when I have been in clinic, I absolutely recommend diet and exercise - - not just for obesity, but for high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. However, I can assure you that the folks with endocrine and metabolic problems do have something else going on that limits their success. We just don't know what yet. Brain chemistry around feeding, satiety, and their regulation are incredibly complex.

To that end, if you read the literature, it is clear that Belviq does not work for everyone. However, for a subclass of people, it is very effective. The way in which it works, too, is very unique. Its action is directed at the hypothalamus and pituitary and the neurohormones associated with feeding behavior. My personal opinion is that the responders likely have a disruption of their Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal (HPA) axis - - either because of a co-morbid medical condition or perhaps genetics - - that significantly contributes to their obesity. Consequently, I'd be surprised if Belviq will work for the person who simply consumes too many calories because of food choices or does not get enough physical activity; indeed, the drug is no "magic pill."

Thus, if diet and exercise proved ineffective in spite diligent efforts, I would be looking at medical causes that could be causing or contributing to the problem, as well as considering Belviq.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Guess what really works with no dangerous side effects? REAL FOOD
  • graceacruz
    Options
    No thanks. I'd rather not be written a prescription to my success. There's no honor in that for me. I would have zero pride in myself and my accomplishments if everything I did was only because some pill made me not want to eat. Willpower is the fix all. If you didn't want it, you wouldn't strive for it. Keep your drugs.

That's wonderful for you! I think for most people, this is the case - - however, not all.

I'd challenge you to do some research on Cushing's Disease or Cyclical Cushing's. Certain endocrine problems can make weight loss difficult if not impossible. Remember, I had PRECISELY the same attitude before I got sick. Sometimes, I feel like it was payback for my arrogance.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Eat food + Exercise = Lose Weight

See ticker below. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • graceacruz
    Options
    Guess what really works with no dangerous side effects? REAL FOOD

My goodness, you all sound exactly like I used to sound. Please DO SOME RESEARCH on obesity. It is NOT always as it appears. Would you try to treat the Type 1 diabetic with a low carb diet (instead of insulin) when the real problem is a lack of insulin producing cells? Again, stop painting everyone with such a broad brush. Sometimes diet & exercise works, and sometimes it doesn't.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thus, if diet and exercise proved ineffective in spite diligent efforts, I would be looking at medical causes that could be causing or contributing to the problem, as well as considering Belviq.
    The problem is that many people confuse what diligent effort is and turn to a "magic pill" for assistance. I can't tell you how many times I've had a member say they're doing EVERYTHING they can to lose weight, yet when I see their "chatty workouts" (talking more than actually working out) or boast on how much they drank and partied the night before, I just have to roll my eyes at the statement.
    I've taken many a client who thought they were stuck, put them on a COMMITMENT program, and they succeed. The main difference? The commitment and me holding them accountable to it.
    Now do people have health issues that discourage weight loss? Yes. But there aren't as many as the general population thinks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RatRaceOne
    RatRaceOne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sure looks that way. Every one of his posts mentions Belviq. :huh:
  • graceacruz
    Options
    The real problem I see with everyone posting that "diet and exercise" works is that they happen to be in the class of people for whom it does. I understand... I used to be that person, too!! Please understand that a variety of medical conditions as well as genetics can cause obesity:

- Cushing's Disease/Cyclical Cushings/Cushing's Syndrome (cortisol excess causes catabolism of muscle tissue and mobilization of glucose stores)
    - Sleep Apnea (has to do with cortisol, leptin, and ghrelin regulation)
    - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (not certain why; linked to metabolic syndrome and insulin insensitivity)
    - Thyroid Disorders (slowed metabolism, increased cortisol, and breakdown of muscle tissue)
    - Pituitary Disorders (Empty sella, miroadenomas, neurosarcoidosis, other granulomatous diseases)
    - Hypothalamic Disorders (see above)
    - Genetics (many including Prader-Willi which results in voracious overeating; see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18230893)

Only when you start admitting that is NOT always diet and exercise can you begin to understand why in some cases it might be necessary to use medications for management, not unlike diabetes.

In my case, the problem that resulted in hypothyroidism was a partial failure of my pituitary. It affected other hormones as well. At one point (don't you DARE call me lazy or unmotivated or lacking in willpower!!) I was only eating 800 - 1000 calories a day... and still gaining. Besides being told I needed vitamins, must be depressed, or could be entering early menopause, I was also accused of lying about my intake, drinking sugary sodas or fruit juice (uh, big NO) and miscalculating my calories (yeah, that's likely while using a gram scale to measure out all my food.) I have never been so humiliated in my life.

So, please forgive me if I am just a little passionate about this issue. As a future doctor (now 4 months to go) I'll be d*mned if I won't listen and support those patients who are struggling with their weight. It took me more than a year of misery and misdiagnoses to finally get an endocrinologist who would listen and treat me based on MY personal situation. And that's all I am suggesting others do. Please listen and support those around you. No, medications are not for everyone. But for those of us with our own personal circumstances, it can mean all the world of difference with respect to quality of life.

P.S. In case you are wondering, I am down almost 17 lbs in the last 6-7 weeks from 218+ to 201.4. That's basically 2.5 lbs per week and almost 8% of my body weight, so at this point, I am certain I am a responder.
  • MarlaVSings
    MarlaVSings Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just quit the 2 week free trial of Belviq, so here's my experience with this drug:

As far as appetite, yes it did kill the cravings for me. One thing I noticed is actual physical hunger was not impeded for me, just the impulse to continue snacking. I have heard this med be called "willpower in a bottle" and I feel that's pretty accurate as far as suppressing the compulsion to eat past satiety.

As far as side effects, I did experience the initial headache many people reported, it lasted for 2 days and felt like a nasty coffee withdrawal headache. The headache did go away, but over the next few days (about days 3-6) I noticed I became increasingly spaced out. I would stare out windows for long periods of times, or just be caught in my head daydreaming. I was much less productive at work (I do a lot of reading in my job). Then the spaciness got even worse, to the point I felt embarrassed with myself at times because my responses to things were so slow it was noticeable. I needed to sleep more and had a sleep hangover in the mornings. If anyone has taken Melatonin and woke up with a sleep hangover, it's similar, but was stronger for me. I started to get nauseated when taking the pills, even with food. The last straw for me was days 7-8, I was so sleepy I had to take constant naps. One day I took 3 naps in addition to regular sleep and decided I'd had enough and stopped taking it.

So that's how it went down for me, not saying everyone else is going to have a similar experience, but I feel there is an abundance of glowing reviews and not enough of the not-so-happy reviews.

I did lose 4 lbs but decided overall not worth it. I also want to exercise and with all that sleeping exercise was out of the question. That was my last adventure with diet pills (tried phentermine a few months ago but it didn't really do very much for me).

Sorry this post is rambling a bit, but that was what Belviq did for me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The real problem I see with everyone posting that "diet and exercise" works is that they happen to be in the class of people for whom it does. I understand... I used to be that person, too!! Please understand that a variety of medical conditions as well as genetics can cause obesity:

- Cushing's Disease/Cyclical Cushings/Cushing's Syndrome (cortisol excess causes catabolism of muscle tissue and mobilization of glucose stores)
    - Sleep Apnea (has to do with cortisol, leptin, and ghrelin regulation)
    - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (not certain why; linked to metabolic syndrome and insulin insensitivity)
    - Thyroid Disorders (slowed metabolism, increased cortisol, and breakdown of muscle tissue)
    - Pituitary Disorders (Empty sella, miroadenomas, neurosarcoidosis, other granulomatous diseases)
    - Hypothalamic Disorders (see above)
    - Genetics (many including Prader-Willi which results in voracious overeating; see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18230893)

Only when you start admitting that is NOT always diet and exercise can you begin to understand why in some cases it might be necessary to use medications for management, not unlike diabetes.

In my case, the problem that resulted in hypothyroidism was a partial failure of my pituitary. It affected other hormones as well. At one point (don't you DARE call me lazy or unmotivated or lacking in willpower!!) I was only eating 800 - 1000 calories a day... and still gaining. Besides being told I needed vitamins, must be depressed, or could be entering early menopause, I was also accused of lying about my intake, drinking sugary sodas or fruit juice (uh, big NO) and miscalculating my calories (yeah, that's likely while using a gram scale to measure out all my food.) I have never been so humiliated in my life.

So, please forgive me if I am just a little passionate about this issue. As a future doctor (now 4 months to go) I'll be d*mned if I won't listen and support those patients who are struggling with their weight. It took me more than a year of misery and misdiagnoses to finally get an endocrinologist who would listen and treat me based on MY personal situation. And that's all I am suggesting others do. Please listen and support those around you. No, medications are not for everyone. But for those of us with our own personal circumstances, it can mean all the world of difference with respect to quality of life.

P.S. In case you are wondering, I am down almost 17 lbs in the last 6-7 weeks from 218+ to 201.4. That's basically 2.5 lbs per week and almost 8% of my body weight, so at this point, I am certain I am a responder.
    I don't think anyone is disputing if a person has a hormonal or health issue, that a product like this will help. It's the approach from "normal" people using the product who really don't need to.

IDEA Fitness member