How much do you burn a day exercising and how much do you nett at?

Options
Just curious? I burn about 600 a day and eat 1200..... not sure I'm eating enough?? How does everyone else work?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kirzz92 wrote: »
    Just curious? I burn about 600 a day and eat 1200..... not sure I'm eating enough?? How does everyone else work?

You eat 1200 calories or you net 1200 calories?

If the former, you are certainly not eating enough. How do you calculate your exercise calories burned? Also, how much weight are you trying to lose?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • kirzz92
    kirzz92 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 and burn 600.. I'm only 42kgs so not trying to lose but rather tone up.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    MFP tells me about 1200-1300, so I figure 400-500.

I think I net about 2500.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I first started, I was advised to eat back half of my exercise calories. On most days, exercise calories raise my allowance from 1200 to 1600, so I aim for 1400. There seems to be a wide range of opinions on whether to eat back exercise calories or not but I saw a thread recently, where many people were eating theirs back in full and making good progress in terms of both weight loss and health. I only go for half, because I know mfp is overly generous on calorie burn for my sport. When I accidentally allowed my net calories to get as low as yours, I ended up exhausted and in pain from poor muscle repair.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 and burn 600.. I'm only 42kgs so not trying to lose but rather tone up.

You didn't answer the question, are you eating your exercise calories back?

Toning is losing weight. And you're already pretty light, so don't try and lose anything. I would suggest a recomp or a bulk...
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    What do you use to measure that 600 calorie burn? Seems awfully high.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

If this is the case, you should be eating at maintenance and lifting weights. What is your age/height?

I also think your calorie burns are overestimated.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    My BodyMedia FIT seems to believe I burn an average of 745 calories from exercise (65 minutes of cardio a day). My TDEE is somewhere in the realm of 2700-2800 and I eat 2450-2550.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    "Toning" is a myth. You are already likely underweight unless you are extremely short.

Eat at, or over maintenance, and lift heavy. That way you'll put on muscle, and get the "toned" look you're shooting for.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Um, no.......

You burn calories 24/7.....even people in a coma burn calories. MFP as designed gave you 1200 Net (based upon "I want to lose xx pounds per week"). Net means you eat exercise calories back....in your case 1200+600...or 1800 calories.

However, calorie burn estimates are often inflated. Plan on eating back 50-75%....or 1500-1650 total calories.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Then you should be eating maintenance calories if you don't want to lose and if you want a more "toned" look then you probably want to look into a lifting program.

As for your original question:
    I burn a little over 500 on cardio days (2 days a week) and my average intake is 1835 for weight loss. I'm 5'4.5" and 135lbs (61.5kg I think). I lift heavy 3 days a week for 60-90 mins and if my Surge is correct about 210-250 or so calories burned.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    OP, if your goal is to "tone up", with your stats you should definitely eat at maintenance and get into a lifting program as @shadow2soul mentioned

I'm in maintenance and only lift so I just assume it fits into my "lightly active" lifestyle and eat about 1800-1900. When I'm trying to lose I'll eat about 1600.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    To lose I eat 1850 gross cals / maintain on 2200 approx.
    I use TDEE method and don't eat back exercise cals as that's figured into the calculation.

(My average cals from daily exercise are approx 600)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    uhhhhhh....fit and toned people actually eat...a lot. you're netting 600 calories per day...you're not even providing your body with adequate energy for basic functions. Set your goal to maintenance and eat accordingly...and get into the weight room
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I burn more than 600 a day from exercise. Some days I eat more than that back, some days none of it , but most days a % depending what I feel like. Just use common sense, fuel your workouts and listen to your body.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    uhhhhhh....fit and toned people actually eat...a lot. you're netting 600 calories per day...you're not even providing your body with adequate energy for basic functions. Set your goal to maintenance and eat accordingly...and get into the weight room

@cwolfman13

You reminded me of this quote that was posted in the around the gym a couple weeks ago.
    Athletes-eat-and-train-they-don%E2%80%99t-diet-and-exercise-quote-myfitstation.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

@cwolfman13

You reminded me of this quote that was posted in the around the gym a couple weeks ago.
    Athletes-eat-and-train-they-don%E2%80%99t-diet-and-exercise-quote-myfitstation.jpg

it's very accurate...
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Sweetie, you need to eat more! You won't tone up with that diet at your current weight. You'll lose muscle, your skin will get loose and gross, and then it will get tight, like over a skeleton!

You need to eat ALL your calories to tone up. :) You should be looking to hit at around 14% body fat as a woman, too--that's fat you need for your brain, your boobs, your butt, and for your cycles. If you aren't cycling, you may be still under eating. This can cause osteoporosis later on, especially if you aren't lifting weights.

You're probably not trying to get pregnant at your age, but at a too-low body fat, you're more likely to miscarry, to have preterm birth, and to have a baby with sub-normal intelligence, too.

Your brain is made of fat. Nourish it. If you want to look more toned, build some muscle, too. :) But strive to keep above the level of fat that is harmful!

You will be more toned when you gain some muscle. So you actually want to gain weight at this point, not just "tone up." :) Eat 100% of what MFP says that you burn (because it probably says that you burn too much), and you should be seeing your strength increase and your weight increase, too. That's GOOD. A heavier-but-stronger body with healthy amounts of muscle will always look better than one that's really thin.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you, because that's a seriously low weight if you're above 5' tall.