Was maintaining after years of dieting, trying to go back to cutting, but I just cant do it!

Options
I am having such a hard time sticking to even just a 250 cal deficit anymore! I used to be great during my first years of dieting, eating at a 500 cal deficit or so, but now I am having such a hard time.

It's almost like the maintenance mindset stuck with me too much? I know how to diet, I know what works for me, but I still am having trouble doing it, I feel hungry all the time.

Does this mean I am just not meant to lose anymore and that I should stay at maintaining?

STATS
Female, 5' 6", 131-133 lbs, about 21% BF... I want to lose fat, but don't care about weight changing. In reality, I would be ok with the slow recomp approach, but I am getting married in 5 months and I want my arms to be as lean as possible by then! My "goal" was to get to 125 lbs then maintain again before wedding.

I weight train and I walk but most of my day is spent sitting at work... do I need to add in more walking or HIIT to create a deficit?

Thanks for advice!

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    reasonle wrote: »
    I am having such a hard time sticking to even just a 250 cal deficit anymore! I used to be great during my first years of dieting, eating at a 500 cal deficit or so, but now I am having such a hard time.

It's almost like the maintenance mindset stuck with me too much? I know how to diet, I know what works for me, but I still am having trouble doing it, I feel hungry all the time.

Does this mean I am just not meant to lose anymore and that I should stay at maintaining?

STATS
    Female, 5' 6", 131-133 lbs, about 21% BF... I want to lose fat, but don't care about weight changing. In reality, I would be ok with the slow recomp approach, but I am getting married in 5 months and I want my arms to be as lean as possible by then! My "goal" was to get to 125 lbs then maintain again before wedding.

I weight train and I walk but most of my day is spent sitting at work... do I need to add in more walking or HIIT to create a deficit?

Thanks for advice!

5'6" 131 - 133 lbs is a healthy weight.

Look at the awesome recomp thread by @usmcmp in the Maintenance subforum. It sounds like you may need to recomp.

Edit to add the link to the thread in question: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's what I am thinking... I don't even really want to lose size in most places... So I bet my body is saying "STOP".
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Confused.. if you need a bigger deficit why not exercise more?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Confused.. if you need a bigger deficit why not exercise more?

You can...that's not necessarily the 'wrong' answer.

But compared to the amount of food you consume, the amount of calories you burn by exercising is generally not significant.

For example - If you want to cut 250 calories out of your day, which would (generally) be easier for most people? Skipping the Starbucks latte or running 3 miles?
  • lauramillat
    lauramillat Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to exercise more... I already do so for about 30 min 5 days a week.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    reasonle wrote: »
    That's what I am thinking... I don't even really want to lose size in most places... So I bet my body is saying "STOP".

I would agree.