Running and blisters ---Argh!!!!

Options
Anyone have any advice on how to avoid blisters on the bottom ball of your foot when running? I've tried new shoes, ortho inserts, double socks, molefoam and still get them. I'm trying to extend my distance but just can't get past the blisters.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    What is your foot strike?
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I slather aquiphor all over my feet. It worked for me better than anything else. It's like Vaseline but better.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Are your socks cotton? Synthetic fiber socks made a big difference for me. Also switching shoe brands. Use chamois cream/BodyGlide/some kind of lotion inside your socks a la @brendak76 . Tape your feet. And like @IsaackGMOON suggested, have someone check your running gait and foot strike, especially on hills.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I put masking tape on my "blister points" before I go out. It slides instead of my skin, and does a pretty good job. I've *occasionally* gotten a blister past that, but it's much more rare, than without. Though, typically when I start getting blisters, I know it's time for new shoes...
  • ptsbrown
    ptsbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions! I have a forefoot strike and a neutral gait (although I have never had this professionally verified). I wear synthetic fiber socks (2 thin pair) but am willing to try taping and lotion. Any suggestions on how to tape my feet? Will it stick over the bodyglide or am I doing one/other? I think I might just break-down and go to Runners Roost and have them check my gait and recommend a good shoe. I think in the end it will be worth it. I have also had planter fascia issues which is why I have the ortho inserts.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you've got thin socks, especially synthetic, and you're using bodyglide or similar and still getting blisters, then I'm betting your shoes don't fit right.

You may also need to give your feet time to toughen up a bit if they are new to running or the distance/volume you're working at.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I've just put bandaids over the blister while I ran, and that did the trick until they healed. I got them when I increased my mileage a few months ago, but haven't since.
  • ptsbrown
    ptsbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So I went to Runners Roost and discovered I am wearing the wrong size shoe! At 43 I am now a size 9 in running shoe instead of 8 1/2. Have socks they recommended and two very different shoe types to try out (the correct size). Fingers crossed they work.