anyone else struggle with their relatives trying to discourage you??

Options
Man I don't know why people can't try to be happy for you or encourage you to keep working hard.I excitedly told my aunt and showed her my clothes were fitting looser and she was like "yeah yeah you already told me.whatever." and god forbid I get a headache or a stomache because she automatically says that it's because of the diet.

I just feel like people never like seeing others feel good like why all the hate??

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Don't talk about it with them? I don't discuss my loss with people offline unless they bring it up. Some will be happy for you, some will be jealous, some will feel guilty that they're not tackling their own problem. Stop looking for validation from people who don't want to hand it out.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think it just takes time for people to adjust to the changes we make no matter what the reason. I dealt with a good amount of hate but it passed. Stay strong and do this for yourself.

Of course if a good well intended friend offers that what you may be doing is too much take the time reflect on your motives.

I can't just count off all comments as being bad :)
  • lynnsyoung164
    lynnsyoung164 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sadly I think it is there own insecurity and perception about their body image or ability to eat a certain way. It really makes people uncomfortable unless they are feeling successful too. It is not personal against you. Talking about dieting triggers all kinds of reactions whether family or not. I am VERY happy for you and your success! It is not easy as I can attest. You need people with the same goals and likes. This is a great community for support. I found people locally by using meetup.com in my area for exercise groups that do things like bike, run, hike or just likes dogs. Keep up the good work!
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband. ugh.

I have lost a total of 43 lbs since I started losing weight and he has not said one word, not a one.

He said well he sees me everyday but seriously how do you not notice someone has gone from a size 18 to a 10?

He also complained I was too happy.

• missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    happygalah wrote: »
    Yes, my husband. ugh.

I have lost a total of 43 lbs since I started losing weight and he has not said one word, not a one.

He said well he sees me everyday but seriously how do you not notice someone has gone from a size 18 to a 10?

This makes me very sad. Shame on him. But my guess is that he's now very insecure.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    happygalah wrote: »
    Yes, my husband. ugh.

This makes me very sad. Shame on him. But my guess is that he's now very insecure.

^^^ this may very well be the case. Some men (not this one) who don't have a positive image of themselves may fear their partner's new found determination to improve their health, weight, and fitness... especially if the male has his own issues he isn't looking at.

He may fear you are doing this for someone other than yourself and it's not him. Or he may be morose that he doesn't have the same will you do to improve himself. There could be all sorts of things at work here... if you have the ability to open up an honest conversation on the topic, asking him might be revealing and helpful.

As for the OP... sounds like you should just ignore your aunt. I'm guessing she isn't very supportive of anything you do. Too bad for her, you are doing the right thing!
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yup
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was like that ALL THE TIME about EVERYTHING. She was depressed and in a crappy place so she wanted to drag down others--not consciously.

I mostly ignored it. Eventually, she got un-depressed (looong story, not relevant) and she stopped trying to tear successful people down and started to get ambitious herself.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I'm getting old and gnarly and when people tell me I can't - I push back.

Old n gnarly is beautiful. Or stubborn or something. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What is your weight, height and age? How many calories are you currently eating? Sometimes, relatives expressing concerns might actually mean that there is something to be concerned about.
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I never bring up my weight loss unless I'm asked about it and when I am I'm direct and to the point. If someone is unsupportive I tend to quickly change the conversation.
  • aseaprincess112
    aseaprincess112 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sounds like it's human nature. everyone knows what a challenge it is to get fit and be healthy in our time. Actually, I'm expecting that kind of reaction already. It happened before in my previous attempts to get fit. So, I think what people are suggesting here is very reasonable. Don't bring the fitness talk around people who can't handle it. They might not be as ready as you are to tackle that issue in their lives, if it is an issue for them.
    Haters gonna hate, as they say. If you come across someone who is genuinely pleased for your success, never let them go :D They are a rare sort you don't see every day in humankind!
  • sugarcoated2015
    sugarcoated2015 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @happygalah sorry that your husband does that, like others say, maybe he has issues he hasn't taken care of etc.

@aggelikik I weigh 169 and am 18, I eat like 1200 cal daily, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more.She just thinks that one is starving if one doesn't eat bread or tortillas.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @happygalah sorry that your husband does that, like others say, maybe he has issues he hasn't taken care of etc.

@aggelikik I weigh 169 and am 18, I eat like 1200 cal daily, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more.She just thinks that one is starving if one doesn't eat bread or tortillas.

i would be starving. adore both :wink: jk

but some people are just negative and we can love them despite that but not rely on them as part of our support system.
  • Steam_Powered_Awesome
    Steam_Powered_Awesome Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Damn if I don't I know it. I'm the only one who is getting healthier in my family and I get crap for it ALL the time. Its very frustrating
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Hmmm, realistically, a 1200 cal goal, unless you are extremely short, it is a very aggressive goal for your age and height. Not saying necesserily unhealthy, but perhaps aggressive enough to justify some concern from relatives. Is there a reason you have your calories so low? How fast are you trying to lose?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I didn't mention what I was doing to anyone. Not even DH at first, until he noticed (about 25 lbs in). I never invited comments either, but you get them anyway whether you want them or not.

I think if you're not willing to handle the complete range of possible responses you might get (from completely supportive to completely unsupportive) it's best just not to bring it up. Tough sometimes when you want to share success, I know.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    It's sad that the people closest to us can't be supportive of our successes.
    My closest friend has been supportive, my next closest friend makes nice comments (calls me "slim" LOL!), my
    mom says she likes the changes, my doctors & their staff are all happy with the changes.

I'm lucky to not have experienced serious discouragement. I've gotten a couple comments (from the same person,
    not a relative, and I don't put much stock in his opinion re: my weight) that I'm skinny enough already. I'm still 25
    lb over the top of a healthy BMI range. Not stopping 'til I get there.

The only real discouragement I've gotten was from my doctor, who thought that my goal of 165 wasn't attainable.
    Um, excuse me, that's only 10 lb under the top of a healthy BMI for my height, and I'd still be well toward the top
    of the range. :angry:

Once I get there, I'll see how I feel & look. Might maintain, might lose a little more. Don't know yet.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say discourage as much as make comments, that might seem like compliments, but b/c I know them it is their offhand way of making a dig at what I'm doing. I love them to death but sometimes you just gotta smile and move on...I'm getting/staying healthy for me and can only hope they would be happy.
  • lmiesner31
    lmiesner31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law is the worst. When I say no to her desserts, she acts like it is a personal attack. Then she tells me I eat too much because I have 3 meals and a snack between breakfast and lunch and then lunch and dinner. There is no winning with her!