Fitness tracker for tiny wrists??

Options
natacos
natacos Posts: 17 Member
I've been using a Fitbit One for a couple years, but have gotten interested in the new wave of wrist-based fitness trackers with more sensors (HR, skin temp, etc). I got myself a Jawbone Up3 (though I know right now the extra sensors aren't doing much yet), but have found it's big on me at it's tightest (it's quite adjustable but any further the loop at the end hits the sensor part on the other side), and it's difficult to get all the sensors touching my wrist.

bl62cvd55y15.jpg

I tried on my friend's Fitbit Charge HR size small and the sensor part alone was wider than my wrist and looked ridiculous (and I printed out their size-indicator thing from the fitbit website, and I was almost an inch smaller than the small). Are there any new generation wrist-based fitness trackers that work on smaller wrists?? Or should I just stick with my One...

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what is your wrist size?
  • natacos
    Options
    I don't actually have a tape measure or ruler or anything at home which is why I included the photo with the Up3 and the reference to the fitbit measure printout. Maybe 4-4.5" ? Based on Fitbit recommended sizing?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My write is 4.25" around and I've never found a wrist tracker that worked on me. I am satisfied with my fitbit One.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have tiny wrists. I hate my Jawbone UP2. The UP24 was better—it was like a bangle rather than a strap. My Fitbit Flex was way smaller than my Charge HR—but it had a clasp rather than a buckle. So I upgraded.

You can buy jewelry to put the Flex in. But what's wrong with your Fitbit One?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    natacos wrote: »
    I don't actually have a tape measure or ruler or anything at home which is why I included the photo with the Up3 and the reference to the fitbit measure printout. Maybe 4-4.5" ? Based on Fitbit recommended sizing?

I think maybe something that isn't a wrist tracker might be best then? If you can live with the one you have, and it works then fine.

Otherwise maybe something like the Misfit Shine or the Fitbit Zip? Something that you can use without it being on your wrist. :)
  • natacos
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I have tiny wrists. I hate my Jawbone UP2. The UP24 was better—it was like a bangle rather than a strap. My Fitbit Flex was way smaller than my Charge HR—but it had a clasp rather than a buckle. So I upgraded.

You can buy jewelry to put the Flex in. But what's wrong with your Fitbit One?

Nothing, which is why I mentioned that sticking with the One is still an option if there are no "new generation" wrist-based trackers that run smaller. I just see all the cool trackers coming out these days with more cool features and data (like I said, HR, skin temp, etc) and I want to try them! I definitely wouldn't want to downgrade to an older generation wrist tracker that just does the same stuff as my One just because it fits.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Heart rate monitors require sensors, so they'll always be pretty big.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I just see all the cool trackers coming out these days with more cool features and data (like I said, HR, skin temp, etc) and I want to try them!

It might be worth considering whether you get anything of any value from those? Most of what I've seen is pure marketing nonsense.

An HRM is useful from a performance improvement perspective, but for most people that's not important. Skin temp etc gives no useful data to most people.

fwiw Garmin Vivosmart comes in two sizes, so might work for you but I don't think it'll give you anything more than you already have. similarly the VivoFit2 has interchangeable wristbands and clothing mounts.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex which I wear on the tightest band setting but it still flops all over the place so I try to wedge it further up my arm. It's weird, lot's of people have smaller wrist sizes the people who make fitness trackers don't seem to consider that at all.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    You're meant to wear the Fitbit Flex loose to allow air circulation—not tight like a watch.

The Jawbone UP24 was the best design for small wrists. Too bad it broke so easily.
  • natacos
    Options
    I just see all the cool trackers coming out these days with more cool features and data (like I said, HR, skin temp, etc) and I want to try them!

It might be worth considering whether you get anything of any value from those? Most of what I've seen is pure marketing nonsense.

It's kind of more about me being one of those data nerds and just finding it interesting/cool than any thing I need for real value, I recognize that! Just find it a bit annoying that small wristed people don't get to play with the same products.
  • MegTK
    MegTK Posts: 13 Member
    Options

It's kind of more about me being one of those data nerds and just finding it interesting/cool than any thing I need for real value, I recognize that! Just find it a bit annoying that small wristed people don't get to play with the same products.

Same here! I like seeing numbers. The more things I can track keep me motivated. So I guess it does help in that regard.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I bought my fiance a Garmin Forerunner 15. It's a running GPS watch, but it has activity tracker capability and is HRM compatible. That's actually how he uses it, and he finds it very helpful.

The FR15 comes in standard and a small size. I had the same-size small FR10 as my first running watch (and tried on my fiance's--they're the same). It fit great and looked only a *little* funky on my wrist. Here is the FR10 on the wrist of someone about my size, via DC Rainmaker. You can see that it's a little bulky, but there is plenty of room to tighten the band even further!
  • brimag18
    brimag18 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR that I wear on my ankle. Wore it on my wrist for a couple of weeks. It's more comfortable on my ankle, gets the same HR readings and seems to be more accurate on step count.
  • firetatz77
    firetatz77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem, my wrist is too large. I went to Costco and they sell the up move that comes with wrist watch type holders for the device. https://jawbone.com/store/buy/upmove
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I guess I'd rather be able to correlate the data sets to work out what that tells me. Individual data sets are of little value.

The right answer probably depends a lot on what training you do. The more sophisticated devices are all generally a bit bigger, but they have to contain a GPS receiver and processor in order to give the data some context. Running watches now can give you heart rate, vertical oscillation, ground contact time etc.

• pollywallyb
    pollywallyb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have small wrists and i tried on a fitbit alto in size small today. It was a great fit. My wrist isnt quite as small as the one in the photo but perhaps try a fitbit alto. It doesnt have hr monitoring though...
  • lb0456
    lb0456 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have very small wrists. I ended up taking the monitor part out of my Flex wristband and carrying it in my pocket. I'd like to upgrade to one with a clock and not have to look at my phone to see my steps, etc.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You don't have to wear it on your wrist. You can wear it around your ankle or just slide it further up your arm. If they aren't big enough for your ankle you can use a hair tie as an extender for the strap.