Bike Helmet for Toddler

Options
kiffypooh
kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
Hello Everyone,
I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the correction section or not, so sorry if it's not. We bought our 3 year old daughter a bike with training wheels for her birthday, which is at the end of this month. We are now looking for a safe bike helmet for her and I thought some bicyclists on here may be able to help me figure this out. Are they all created equal? What are things I should look for and or know?
Thank you!

Replies

• tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Fit is so important. Our granddaughter is 2, but very small and it was hard finding a helmet for her. We finally went to a local bike shop and they helped us fit her. Toys R Us also has helmets that we use for our other 3 grandkids. I can tell you, since I just had a fall on Sunday, do not ride without a helmet. I am very cut and bruised, but fell and hit my head. The helmet took the blow and I have no head injuries. How much worse if it was a child. Either way, though, child or adult, do not ride without a helmet.
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    I posted the question on a mom sight a few weeks ago and one woman responded saying she worked in an ER and sees cases all the time from kids falling and hitting the head in just the right spot that it changes their lives forever. That scares me so I want to get everything perfect! Thanks for the insight!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good post. I would suggest your local bike shop. I have a 3.5 year-old son who will be getting a little bike for his birthday in July. He has been riding a tricycle with a helmet, because I wanted him to get in the habit of wearing one. The helmet we have now does not fit well and it is time to upgrade....he'll probaby be sad to not wear Lightening McQueen but his noggin is more precious!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I thought I heard my brother say once (he's an avid cyclist) that they are all created equal in the safety department because they are held to some kind of standard (so in other words, a $30 helmet is not less safe than a $50 helmet). Don't quote me on this, it's just what I heard.. But fit is important because obviously one that is too big won't protect in the way it should. I would recommend going to a bike shop as well, I am sure they do this kind of thing everyday.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I would recommend any sporting goods store, ****s and sports authority both have great selections. If you want a little more personal service go to your local bike shop.

Heres what you want, helmets come in all shapes sizes and prices. I would find a helmet that will grow with your child, what I mean is there are a lot of helmets that come with sets of padding that velcro to the inside of the helmet and you can decrease the amount of the padding as your childs head grows. My family loves to bike and my husband and son both skateboard and we have found the skateboarding helmets to be some of the best we have owned, they are the same materials, meant to hit solid surfaces on a regular basis and we were able to buy one for our son when he was 6 and he is almost 12 and with the padding changes he still has it.

Always happy to see grown ups making great choices for their kids, it only takes one ride to change a life! :drinker:
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    If you want to get one that will fit properly go to a bike shop and take the child along. they will add the extra foam padding to make it snug. also look for one that has a dial in the back for thightening it can be used to grow with the child better and will last longer. expect to pay around $30 give or take.
  • kiffypooh
    Options
    I would recommend any sporting goods store, ****s and sports authority both have great selections. If you want a little more personal service go to your local bike shop.

Heres what you want, helmets come in all shapes sizes and prices. I would find a helmet that will grow with your child, what I mean is there are a lot of helmets that come with sets of padding that velcro to the inside of the helmet and you can decrease the amount of the padding as your childs head grows. My family loves to bike and my husband and son both skateboard and we have found the skateboarding helmets to be some of the best we have owned, they are the same materials, meant to hit solid surfaces on a regular basis and we were able to buy one for our son when he was 6 and he is almost 12 and with the padding changes he still has it.

Always happy to see grown ups making great choices for their kids, it only takes one ride to change a life! :drinker:

I read somewhere that skateboard helmets are actually safer then bike helmets because they are just round not made to be arrow dynamic, do you think that's true? It fits the way it goes on, whereas the bike helmets you have to make sure are the right space above the eyebrow, etc. Just wondering, because I was thinking of looking into this as an option.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Everything I read said price doesn't matter. The more expensive usually means more comfort....if it's more comfortable they may wear it more....The biggest issue was fit and placement. Kids wear them back on the head instead of down on the forehead.