Finally diabetic.

Options
Well, I've done this to myself. No one else to blame. Now, maybe I'll finally stop eating literally whatever I want. I'm scared and feel hopeless. My doctor recommended this app, so I'll give it a try. :|

Replies

• Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great forum. Hopefully you're working with an Endocrinologist who can spend more time counseling you on carb management and a more balanced diet to help control your blood sugar and lose weight. The nice thing, it's reversible! You can do it!
  • clap4erika
    clap4erika Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive message!
  • TeenageMutantNinjaMike
    Options
    Good luck, I fear that same thing. My doc says I'm not close, but I am so afraid of getting there. If you need any help or motivation don't hesitate to let me know.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Stick around and get involved and it will change your life for the better!
  • mairarodriguez38
    mairarodriguez38 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic as well!! I take insulin shots every time I eat. AND I really need to loose weight
  • jazysmom14
    jazysmom14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Ask to see a nutritionist to give you and idea on what toeat. My mom was diabetic since she had me so I was raised and watched my mom slowly suffer from diabetes. This is the main reason why I'm trying not go through the same thing.
  • clap4erika
    Options
    It's always so easy to start a new lifestyle, but hard to stick to it! I feel so great at first, then get so discouraged. I'm hoping that having you guys here going through the same thing, will keep me motivated!!
  • LuanaBean
    LuanaBean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You have support here. I'm pretty new to MFP. Started about three weeks ago. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic in March and had no idea what to do. A friend of mine, who is also pre-diabetic, told me about this site and also gave me pointers on what to eat, etc. I've never been one to diet, just ate what I wanted and exercised it off. Now I'm eating "clean" (less processed foods), and counting calories, carbs and proteins. It's a new way of life. I've already lost six pounds and I feel more energetic and motivated by changing my eating habits.
  • clap4erika
    Options
    Does anybody have any suggestions on cooking dinner for your family while I'm the only one needing to lose weight? They want spaghetti and mashed potatoes and homemade bread(not all at the same time! Lol).
  • Jbubello
    Jbubello Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh no....they all have to change..you'll make yourself mad cooking multiple meals and where does it end? Husband and kids have to support you and it will only benefit them in the long run. Trust me, I made the mistake years ago of alternate meals for kids, it is a fail. They will adapt! Good luck!
  • Bexygirl
    Bexygirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is my fear. I eat whatever and whenever I want...not good. I wish you the best! We can do it!!
  • jessicabelanger23
    jessicabelanger23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As a type 1 diabetic myself I know it's hard. I was diagnosed nearly 6 years ago 6 months after having my first child. Its hard and it's scary. Carb counting is for lack of a better word-annoying. However learning the basics will help you. For example my rule of thumb is 15 carbs per snack. Have a talk with a dietitian and they can help you figure out your carb needs for each meal. It gets easier in time. Good luck.
  • clap4erika
    Options
    Thank you! I made it through my first day and it wasn't so bad! Usually, Fridays are pizza night, so the kids weren't too happy! Lol. But, I made turkey burgers and they ate them up
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You may want to check the low carb forum. See you there.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in a diet intervention for diabetes, check out Dr. Bernstein's youtube videos titled Diabetes University. He has had type 1 for 50 years and is now a healthy 80 year old diabetologist.
  • DianalynnShirley
    DianalynnShirley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Erika - starch seems to be the down fall in your family so try healthy alternatives and if your family supports you they will change also, mine did. Suggestion is whole wheat pasta or spaghetti squash both are very tasty. Bread is a little harder but again anything that is whole and not processed. You can always skip the bread basket as it gets passed around. My favorite "bread like substance" is Carb Free Cloud Bread
    Ingredients
    • 3 eggs, separated
    • 3 tablespoons cottage cheese or 3 tablespoons cream cheese
    • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1 (1 g) packet artificial sweetener
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
    2. Separate the eggs very carefully, there must be no yolk in the white.
    3. In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 T. of Cottage Cheese OR Cream Cheese and the one packet of Sweetener until smooth.
    4. In the other bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form nice peaks.
    5. Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
    6. Spray two cookie sheets with Pam or other fat-free cooking spray.
    7. With a large spoon, “scoop” the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (about the size of the top-half of the McDonalds hamburger bun; roughly 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across).
    8. Bake on the middle rack. Here is when you have to watch them, because the cooking time the same on any two batches. It is somewhere around 1/2 hour, but it could be less or more. You just need to watch them until them become nice and golden brown (again, the color of a McDonalds bun).
    9. Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board.
    10. While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue – but don’t let this fool you! Once completely cool, seal them in a ziplock storage baggie or a tupperware over night. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread – a softer texture that is nice and chewy. If you do not like softer chewy bread, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp.
    11. Since the sides that were facing the pan are perfectly flat, you use these to spread things on, or make sandwiches, or even as a burger bun! The choice is up to you, and you will be quite amazed at how much like a bun these really are!
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    clap4erika wrote: »
    Does anybody have any suggestions on cooking dinner for your family while I'm the only one needing to lose weight? They want spaghetti and mashed potatoes and homemade bread(not all at the same time! Lol).

You could just add another vegetable to the meal on nights when you have mashed potatoes, bread, etc. you could eat a larger helping of veggies and the kids could have a little of both. Then they wouldn't have so many drastic changes all at once.
  • Luvlyrose
    Luvlyrose Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What a terrible title! I was diagnosed 1 mth ago nd guess what. .. i felt like you and guess what else. ... i did tons of research nd ill continue to do so. You'll meet ppl who will treat this lightly nd those who treat it as a tragedy iv stuck with tragic because diabetes is not a game. Get your head in the game. Exercise EVERYDAY NO ARTIFICIAL SUGAR LOW CARB. IT'LL TAKE A WHILE BUT DON'T GIVE UP. I'M NOT.
  • Wtfkareem
    Wtfkareem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a type 1 diabetic for 7 years strong, don't worry at all! For you, fitness is key. Curving temptation may be a bit difficult (I use glucerna 80 calorie snack bars, they help) if you need any help, you can add me at any time! Good luck in feeling better!
  • clap4erika
    Options
    I said "Finally Diabetic" because I've been warned for a few years (I had gestational diabetes 5 years ago) that I'd end up diabetic if I didn't change my ways, so I find it fitting. Can't wait to try the "cloud bread"! Thanks for the recipe!