opinions on pea protein?

Options
I have had a lap band and it is very difficult to get meat down. I need protein. I had to drink whey protein after my band and it made me so sick I cant even deal with the smell anymore. But I also cant eat eggs and yogurt all day long either. I was thinking pea protein in chocolate unsweetened almond milk. Any other suggestions or opinions?

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have zero knowledge about how this will affect you one way or the other. BUT I use VegaOne which is a vegan-based protein/nutrition powder using pea protein (I'm also not a vegan or vegetarian). I get the chocolate one, mix it with a banana and almond milk, and I think it tastes amazing! It isn't strictly a protein powder because it has all three macros plus vitamins and minerals, but you should check it out to see if you are interested :).
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In my experience pea protein is a difficult flavor to hide - I tried it just as a shake with dairy free milk, and in smoothies, and it just wasn't pleasant.
    I prefer soya based protein powders but have had nice hemp ones, and the mixes of different types seem to be nicer as a shake. Check out a website like Myprotein (or equivalent for where you live) where there are a lot of reviews for each type.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I use pea protein but I also use soya protein. Pea Protein has a bit of a back taste and does not disolve very easily. Soya protein I find thickens liquids. I normally use a mixture of the two. You do not need meat to get protein many vegetables and beans have plenty of protein. I would suggest as you are having issues to go back and speak to your doctor who will more likely be able to give you more specific nutritional advice as it relates to your procedure and the requirements you need
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I find the taste of pea protein is quite hard to mask. It works ( for me ) in savoury meals - think stews, soups etc. but I could not stomach it in yoghurt & c.o. Mind you I use the unflavoured powder from Pulsin, maybe a flavoured one would be easier to hide..
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My GI system wasn't able to tolerate Whey, Soy, or Pea based protein, so I switched this week to a vegan brown rice Protein and I am now able to drink a protein drink without having GI issues. My rice protein shake dissolves nicely, taste great. It is very easy on the GI system for those who have issues with other protein powders.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    It's not my favorite protein powder because of the flavor. Nutra Summa Pea Protein is the only Pea Protein I've heard of with semi-decent flavor. Also, if you have issues with lactose, Whey Isolate is often cheaper than Pea Protein (of the same weight) and contains very little to virtually no lactose. Here is a list of low lactose products that may help: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/lactose.htm

In the grand scheme of things, I tend to think it is not going to make any difference provided your diet consists mainly of complete sources of protein from whole foods. It's not like the bulk of your protein macro is satisfied by these processed powders. If so, there is something fundamentally wrong with your diet and it needs to be revisited.

If you are stuck on buying a Plant-based protein, look into SAN RawFusion, which is regarded as the best of the best. It has an excellent reputation and a good taste.

RawFusion.jpg
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you decide to try Vega One try it in a sample pack. To me it doesn't taste good at all. It's very chalky with a nasty after taste. I was sick for hours after drinking only part of it. I bought a few sample packs and made them each differently but had the same effect.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't have a history of gastric issues, but pea protein is my least favorite of all. Besides from the horrendous taste, it does something funky to my stomach. I hate it.
    With that said, I eat peas and other legumes all the time without any digestive issues at all. But I mean things like peas with mint, split pea soup etc... but pea protein drinks are my stomach's enemy.

And the taste, oh lord.
  • palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use a flavored pea/sacha inchi protein mix (it's about 60/40), and I haven't had an issue with the flavor. But I do hear that unflavored pea protein is bit hard to mask.

I haven't found a rice protein powder that isn't super-gritty. Soy is, in my experience, pretty easily mixed and inoffensive in flavor.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there as I'm just curious...but did you try another brand or flavor of whey? I tend to be ok with most brands, but thought about trying a pumpkin pie flavor from one of my usual companies. I started getting nauseated drinking it after the first couple of times, so maybe its a flavor thing, maybe an ingredient to that company's mix, maybe it was concentrate and you might do better with isolate... lot of maybes :)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Some people report that they get very bad gas from pea protein. I don't find that personally, but I don't have tonnes of the stuff, just a small amount in my breakfast smoothie. I go between pea protein and brown rice protein for variety (I'm not vegan or anything, I just don't drink milk so avoid whey and don't like soy). I normally use something flavourful in my pea protein smoothies because there is a bit of an aftertaste. For some people it is hard to mask it. I use cocao powder and banana in my smoothie and I can hardly taste that there is protein powder in there. Worth trying a few different types out and seeing what works for you. I use one that has no flavours, sweeteners or additives and I'm happy with it but some people prefer the flavoured ones.
  • Arsenal1919
    Arsenal1919 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have been using VITAL (brand) Pea Protein Chocolate for a few days here in Australia. It's good.

The chocolate flavour masks the golden pea somewhat but one of the recipe suggestions (which I use in my super blender) is 25 grams of the pea protein powder in a mug of water, a couple of ice cubes and a handful of berries (of your choice).

So far, I have used strawberries, blackberries and cherries. All made a smooth palatable drink. Flavour-wise, I enjoyed the blackberry version best.

Link here to the product. http://www.yourchemistshop.com.au/vital-protein-pea-protein-chocolate-1kg.html

I'm sure similar stuff exists all around the world.