Will my skin firm up if there are lots of stretch marks?

Options
I am currently going through a major weight loss. I'm just recently noticing the huge amount of stretch marks I actually have :/

Stretch marks essentially mean the skin has been stretched out beyond it's limit, right? So does this mean the parts of my body that have the stretch marks won't firm up/bounce back?

For example, my stomach has a lot of the stretch marks, and the skin there seems to be very loose, is this because of the stretch marks? Will the area there eventually firm up and not be loose anymore?

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have them, and I've lost nearly 30lbs and am in the low 120s. Unfortunately, stretch marks tend to be permanent, and generally don't fade. Skin itself can bounce back depending on genetics, and slower weight loss may help mitigate the problem of loose skin. In regards to the marks, learn to love them and rock them. It took me a while to get used to mine, but once I realized everyone can have them, they aren't so bad. :)
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned more about the loose skin. My stretchmarks get lighter as time goes by tho it's still visible. On the other hand, loose skin is just noticeable especially during push-ups or everytime I wear fit clothes. It gets very saggy and squishy. lol :p
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yeppers, can't wear a bikini anymore - having kids killed that. Not that I would want to at my age anyway :blush:
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i love my tiger stripes! its living proof of my hard work making my 2 babies! although i too would like the loose skin to get a bit tighter - heres hoping!
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had a flat (if stripy!) belly, within a year of having my last of four children. It is indeed possible :)
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The skin on my stomach reminds me of seersucker. All poochy and wrinkly. Between the 4 pregnancies with large babies (got a stretch mark an inch and a half wide with my 10 pounder) and the 20 pound yo-yo weight loss, it's a battlefield, lol. At age 50, I know it won't get any better but I don't care that much.