Local restaurant... no nutritional information.... Please help!

Options
a_manda
a_manda Posts: 36 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Going to a local restaurant for lunch today.... they don't have nutritional information..... thinking of getting:

The Crank (a wrap)- Chicken Cheesesteak with bacon, grilled onions, portabellas, provolone & creamy No.9 sauce (without the bacon, sauce on the side) and a small garden salad. But I have no idea how to count the calories for this.... anybody have any suggestions?

Here is a link to their menu. I know there are other options that might be healthier/ a better choice but this is what I want. I just want to know how to best count it so I can plan the rest of my day around this.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Replies

• JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It would be almost impossible for anyone to estimate the calories on the description. It depends on the size of the wrap, the amount of fillings, sauces, etc. What you might be able to do is find an equivalent wrap at a restaurant that has nutritional information and use that as a guide.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It's situations like this that you have to use the SWAG method of calculation. (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100
    Onions and Mushrooms next to nothing
    Butter or oil on the grill 50

Enjoy it, log 550 and try and not make it an everyday occurrence ;)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    You can also just do a quick add calories and put in something like 1000 calories for the entire lunch and be done with it -- I always try to estimate high instead of low just in case
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would just use your best judgement. Things covered in gravy or cream sauces would be higher calorie. Thick sandwhiches, burgers or any sort of fried thing would obviously be calorie bombs. If they have anything light, like a grilled chicken sandwich, choose that and maybe get it without the cheese or mayo. Wraps can be very deceiving because they can be just as high, sometimes even higher, in calories.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    It's situations like this that you have to use the SWAG method of calculation. (Scientific Wild *kitten* Guess)

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I would estimate much higher. Wraps can be a few hundred calories just by themselves. The bacon can be 50-100 per piece. If it's a chicken "cheesesteak" it might be coveted in oil when it's put on the grill-top. Sauces are notoriously high.

Sandwiches at restaurants are often shockingly high calorie. Log at least 1000 calories and call it a maintenance day.
  • a_manda
    Options
    Thank you guys. This isn't an every day thing for me but the further along on this journey I go the better I will (hopefully) get at navigating situations like this. This is the first time since starting my journey that I've gone somewhere and not stuck to a pretty simple grilled chicken salad.

I just want to be able to go out with my friends and be able to have some sort of plan and not feeling like I can only order salads and veggies. I want to be able to fit things like this into my calorie allowance so that on the few occasions it happens I can log and keep moving with my day.
  • slaite1
    Options
    a_manda wrote: »
    Thank you guys. This isn't an every day thing for me but the further along on this journey I go the better I will (hopefully) get at navigating situations like this. This is the first time since starting my journey that I've gone somewhere and not stuck to a pretty simple grilled chicken salad.

I just want to be able to go out with my friends and be able to have some sort of plan and not feeling like I can only order salads and veggies. I want to be able to fit things like this into my calorie allowance so that on the few occasions it happens I can log and keep moving with my day.

I used to do the same, salads or "healthy" options. Now I get what I want and either enjoy it bc it's a rare treat or just eat half.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I think this is pretty good, but the little taco tortillas are 100cal. I'd say at least 250-300 for the wrap.
  • a_manda
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I would estimate much higher. Wraps can be a few hundred calories just by themselves. The bacon can be 50-100 per piece. If it's a chicken "cheesesteak" it might be coveted in oil when it's put on the grill-top. Sauces are notoriously high.

Sandwiches at restaurants are often shockingly high calorie. Log at least 1000 calories and call it a maintenance day.

I estimated about 500 calories for half the wrap. So thats what Im going to shoot for and add a garden salad. I don't like bacon and will get the sauce on the side and most likely not use it.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

I would have to agree, most flour tortillas are around 200-225cals by themselves.. at least the ones big enough to make a 'wrap'. We tend to buy the "flat out" brand which is lower in cals but you don't find those in most restaurants. They generally use a standard flour tortilla.

Does the restaurant have a take-out option? Order one, take it home, deconstruct and weigh it. Add about 10% to each weight for fluctuation and you'll know about what to guess on your next order.

Eating out has been the hardest for me, so I tend to not do it as much as in the past. Any time I'm anticipating eating out I'll severely drop calories on my other two meals of the day to compensate, and even then it can easily push me over a daily goal.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow that sounds soooo good...I would make it at least a once a month thing tho...nom nom.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Enjoy!
  • slaite1
    Options

Wrap 100
    Chicken 150
    Provolone 150
    Sauce? 100

I estimated about 500 calories for half the wrap. So thats what Im going to shoot for and add a garden salad. I don't like bacon and will get the sauce on the side and most likely not use it.

Good plan, enjoy!
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Funny you should post this b/c I just tried to calculate calories in a menu item for a place I was going today, a really healthy, Cali-style restaurant. I tried to enter ingredient in the recipe builder, which worked pretty well, but the dish, a rice bowl with chicken, veggies and an aioli sauce came out to about 900 calories. Kinda shocking. For you, the cheese and the sauce will be the stuff to minimize, if at all possible. Good thought getting it on the side.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The Crank (a wrap)- Chicken Cheesesteak with bacon, grilled onions, portabellas, provolone & creamy No.9 sauce (without the bacon, sauce on the side) and a small garden salad. But I have no idea how to count the calories for this.... anybody have any suggestions?

800+
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    How rare of a treat? I point it out in a lot of the "how do I go out to eat at places without info" threads that the real answer is "just don't go out to eat as much." People will swear that I'm wrong but then you'll see successful people either say they a) order very plain aka boring or b) say they don't eat out often.
    I do eat out, including fast food. And have been (so far) successful. Given restaurant portion sizes and cooking practices how can this be?

Of course the answer has to be either "order plain and boring", or "eat less of the food", or "put yourself in this kind of situation less often"!

I am firmly on the "plain and boring" side of things and have no qualms about asking for my stuff cooked exactly with the modifications that I want--and not going back if they're not accommodating. I've also started tipping a little bit more when the staff pay attention.

Has logging cut down on the places I go to? Yes, it has.

In my books this is not that big of a price to pay for being a number of lbs lighter...
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The tortillas are at least 300. Something when i order a wrap i eat half normal than it the filling in the other half. More often half gets to be lunch the next day.
  • slaite1
    Options

I used to do the same, salads or "healthy" options. Now I get what I want and either enjoy it bc it's a rare treat or just eat half.

How rare of a treat? I point it out in a lot of the "how do I go out to eat at places without info" threads that the real answer is "just don't go out to eat as much." People will swear that I'm wrong but then you'll see successful people either say they a) order very plain aka boring or b) say they don't eat out often.

If in eating out often then I stick to plain food, request no oil, etc so that the margin of error is smaller. In general I find it easier to make my own food when I'm losing since I have more control. But I've lost eating out fairly often.

If it's a special treat and I'm actively losing I try to get something I will enjoy but eat a smaller portion and maybe do as the OP did and get sauce, etc on the side. That way I enjoy a treat but don't waste 100's of calories on something I don't really want.

It I'm maintaining and it's an occasional treat (1x a month or so I guess) than I get whatever I want and eat it all if I so desire. But, again, it's a treat. Even a big blow out is not the end of the world if it's a rarity.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options

If in eating out often then I stick to plain food, request no oil, etc so that the margin of error is smaller. In general I find it easier to make my own food when I'm losing since I have more control. But I've lost eating out fairly often.

If it's a special treat and I'm actively losing I try to get something I will enjoy but eat a smaller portion and maybe do as the OP did and get sauce, etc on the side. That way I enjoy a treat but don't waste 100's of calories on something I don't really want.

It I'm maintaining and it's an occasional treat (1x a month or so I guess) than I get whatever I want and eat it all if I so desire. But, again, it's a treat. Even a big blow out is not the end of the world if it's a rarity.

Agreed. It's all about balance and the big picture overall.