Does anyone else not own or rarely use scales?

Options
2»

Replies

• tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    I have found the bathroom scales an even more useful tool than kitchen scales. I understand people who dont wnat to weigh and its what suits your personality (obssession), but to me the scales give me data and as long as I deal with the fluctuations, then they also give me peace of mind that i havent strayed. Consider if your refulsal to use them is not some form of denial. I use other methods as well. Increased exercise ability is mot a measure of weight loss.

Good point! I've always been a habitual scale non-user though and have spent most of my life at the lower end of my bmi scale (according to my gp!). So, although I'm heavier now (hence being here) I really think it's more habit based than anything else.

Lounmoun wrote: »
    That's it, really! I weigh in at six monthly or annual check ups but never between times. I don't own scales and never have. I think I'd tend towards an unhealthy weighing obsession if I did! I prefer to go intuitively and pay more attention to increasing exercise ability than anything. Anyone else?

I weigh once a week only. I take measurements and pictures once a month. I try on my test jeans once a month.
    In the past, I have gone long periods of time without weighing myself. My weight didn't change much but I wasn't tracking my calorie intake either.
    I don't think weighing daily or weekly is necessary to lose weight if you stick to your calorie goal. Getting regular feedback on progress in some form or another can be helpful but it doesn't have to be the scale.
    Are you tracking your calorie intake or is that also intuitive?

That's always been intuitive too. My weight gain was due to known side effects of a medication - appetite stimulation and insulin resistance. I had no choice but to be on it but now I'm not, I can reclaim myself, hopefully! I am following my calorie intake now and to be honest, I struggle to meet my targets. It is good to be learning more about proper nutrition through mfp though and how to meet my nutrient quotas (and what they are!).

Loads of interesting responses above. Thanks for sharing :)

So there was no way for you to stop the side effect even knowing they could happen? Or at least prepare for the appetite increase?

Probably not. However, I don't think I've complained about the weight gain, have I? My point was that a medication altered the way my body processed fuel. I didn't mind gaining weight in order to be well and I don't mind shifting it now, in order to be healthy :)

Awesome attitude :)

Thank you! :)

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So this thread and assumed it was going to be about food scales.
    This is a whole other level of surprising.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Most people here count calories - it's the point of the site. Many weigh.

But of course there are people who lose weight without doing that. I think most people who lose probably are not weighing every bite to the gram...because it does feel too obsessive for many people.

There are a lot of ways to lose and weighing isn't worse than measuring or just going by how your clothes feel. Everyone finds the thing that works for them and all the ways will be different.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The only thing I weigh consistently is my food. I only weigh my body once a month.
  • tedioustrainingap
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Most people here count calories - it's the point of the site. Many weigh.

But of course there are people who lose weight without doing that. I think most people who lose probably are not weighing every bite to the gram...because it does feel too obsessive for many people.

There are a lot of ways to lose and weighing isn't worse than measuring or just going by how your clothes feel. Everyone finds the thing that works for them and all the ways will be different.

I absolutely agree! I don't believe there is a better or worse way to track progress. We all seem to, one way or another and at varying intervals. I was just interested to see if there were others who didn't weigh in often.

• mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every couple of weeks. I go more on how my clothes fit.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on the 1st of every month. It's a happy medium between the two worlds.

Same here.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like my scale, it get's lots of action!
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily and that number would have a big impact on my frame of mind for the day. Now i dont own scales and only weigh myself about once a week if i can get down to the pharmacy and use their scales. If not, no big deal.
    As i'm in a healthy weight range my focus now is very much towards being happy in myself and feeling good about myself. If ive been eating well and exercising i tend to feel better about myself and have a positive body image. No one will notice if i gain or lose a stone in each direction...but theyll notice the confidence i have. How u feel about yourself is way more important than how others perceive you. Most people are focussing too much on their own lives to really judge anyone else too much.
    Scales are for fish and people are way more than the number on those scales. :-)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I take measurments weekly and weigh every one to two months. To each their own.
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, but I wish I did. It's hard for me to tell if diet/exercise regime is working. I have a mirror but it only shows to my waistline. Once I purchase my food scale, I'll probably budget for a scale to weigh myself
  • kibelea
    kibelea Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have been debating the scale question as I have just started on this journey. The posts have been immensely helpful as they echoed my own tboughts as well as adressed my concern s. Reading all of you I conclude getting one makes sense, just as Is keeping tabs on negative impulses of overweighing. I thank you all. May I add that the vibe here is pretty wholesome. Congrats to all.

• Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I like the data. I also am exceptional at denial. I can do a wonderful job of telling myself that its only a kilo or 2, the pants aren't THAT tight. Last time I did this successfully it was 10kg of gain and I'm still trying to shift it.

Weighing-in gives me a sense of where I am in the journey. It also gives me a sense of control. Sometimes I go a little control-crazy and this weighing gets out of control. I'd rather have a tough word with myself about this (as I notice it quickly) than have a tough road ahead due to flab gain.

For me, I know the truth is I am more in-tune with my body than my mind. I'm working on this but in the interim, the scale is my primary tool to knowing whats going on with the old body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I hop on the scales every one or two weeks. I'm pretty much in maintenance now, so weighing regularly is even more imperative than it was when i was losing weight, because if do put on a pound or two i want to nip it in the bud asap
  • tedioustrainingap
    Options
    I used to weigh myself daily and that number would have a big impact on my frame of mind for the day. Now i dont own scales and only weigh myself about once a week if i can get down to the pharmacy and use their scales. If not, no big deal.
    As i'm in a healthy weight range my focus now is very much towards being happy in myself and feeling good about myself. If ive been eating well and exercising i tend to feel better about myself and have a positive body image. No one will notice if i gain or lose a stone in each direction...but theyll notice the confidence i have. How u feel about yourself is way more important than how others perceive you. Most people are focussing too much on their own lives to really judge anyone else too much.
    Scales are for fish and people are way more than the number on those scales. :-)

I can relate to that! Also, I swim five or six days a week now and as a result (endorphin/ dopamine/ seratonin?), I generally bounce around with a grin. There's a marked difference in my PMA now I'm on the road to good health, albeit only at the start of the journey.

So many interesting responses here and many differing views. I don't think I'll be buying scales any time soon but my trousers fell down today (and I was pretty amused by that!). I guess we all follow our progress one way or another but it's been particularly nice to hear from other non/ rare weighers. Thanks all :)

• discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't own a scale but I weigh at the gym. Which is still 3x a week. Chose Thursday as my official weigh in as that is my lowest day usually.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I like my scale, it get's lots of action!
    Careful, I hear that scale might know no loyalty - today it's giving you action, but the instant anyone else walks in looking for a little poundage...