Macros and Your Goals

Options
So what Macro split do you do? What is your goal? I am currently doing 40% Protein/ 35% Carbs / 25% Fat. I want to lose body fat and maintain the muscle I do have now. Then after I want to maintain and maybe build some more lean mass.

Replies

• palmettoadventurer
    palmettoadventurer Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm at 46% carbs, 30% fat, and 24% protein. Basically worked backwards from 90g protein.

I'm trying to lose about ten pounds and maintain my lean body mass. (If I can do that, it should get me to about 20% body fat.)
  • MonaCaremore
    MonaCaremore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40%protein, 35% carbon, and 25% fat. I got these figures from bodybuilding.com. I'm going to see how this goes for a month.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I still have mine at the default, 50 carb, 30 fat, 20 protein. I have found that I eat 40 carb, 40 fat and 20 protein pretty consistently. I don't do it on purpose; just seems to be the way I eat. Was thinking about changing the settings but not sure that it matters. I'm trying to lose 15 pounds and I'm 4 from goal right now. I also do strength training and play tennis. At my age (50) I really want to remain as strong and as fit as possible and lower my BF%
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ratios themselves are meaningless, especially when comparing your ratios with other individuals to determine what is optimal. Instead, go by the actual grams those ratios offer.

Healthy Macro Targets:
    • 0.60-0.80 g protein per 1 lb. bodyweight
    • Minimum of 0.40-0.45 g dietary fat per 1 lb. bodyweight
    • Carbs fill in the rest of your calorie goal

Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Dietary Fat = 9 calories per gram
    Carbs = 4 calories per gram
    Alcohol = 7 calories per gram

Example:
    • 150 lb. active person
    • 90-120 grams protein per day (more than this is not doing anything for new muscle synthesis)
    • Strict minimum of 60 grams dietary fat per day (75 g or more won't hurt)
    • Fill in the rest of your calorie goal with nutritious, high fiber carbs (limit refined, processed carbs)
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mine is currently at 35f/20P/45C. A good breakdown is: protein .8g per weight in kg (not pounds). If you are athletic (endurence or strength), you can raise it to 1.2 - 1.8gr per kg. Carbs 45% - 65% or base it on activity level. Casual exercise 3-5gr per weight in kg, mod intensity 5 - 7g per kg, endurance 6 - 10 g per kg, do not go below 130 gr. Fat - whatever is remaining.
    If you want to go just by percentages - Carb - 45% - 65%, Protein 10 - 35, Fat 20 - 35.
    Half of carbs should be from whole grain sources. Limit Sat Fat to 10% of daily calories.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Ratios themselves are meaningless, especially when comparing your ratios with other individuals to determine what is optimal. Instead, go by the actual grams those ratios offer.

Healthy Macro Targets:
    • 0.60-0.80 g protein per 1 lb. bodyweight
    • Minimum of 0.40-0.45 g dietary fat per 1 lb. bodyweight
    • Carbs fill in the rest of your calorie goal

Thank you. I was looking for something like this today.

I also ran across a website that groups people into different body types, which I thought was interesting...

bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-magical-macronutrient-ratio-for-fat-loss.html

I would consider myself a meso-endomorph, and the ratios do pretty well jive with what I know works for me. It would be interesting to see if others fit their body description, as well.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Somatypes are not a reliable excuse for determining why your body is the way it is. You can't lump everyone in the world into 3 categories.
  • smslogan317
    smslogan317 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I agree with everyone here, what it comes down to is what works for you and your goals, I weight train 5-6 days a week and do cardio for 60 minutes 3 days a week. My macros are 55% fat, 35% Protein, and 10% carbs right now, but I am in the cutting phase of my routine right now, my macros change all the time, depending on my goals. If I am looking to put on muscle I will up my carbs and decrease my fats ( coconut oil, olive oil, eggs, avocado) If it is losing weight I will drop my carbs to less than 50 a day and adjust my protein and fats. I do this all the time, it keeps my body guessing and working; but this is what works for me. Keep looking for answers and you will find what works for you also.
    As far as the ratios, they help me fine tune the amount I want to consume of each. Just remember when your losing weight it is important to weight train, to retain lean muscle mass.