Anyone running Grandmas Marathon in Duluth?

Pollywog39
Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
I live in Duluth..........have volunteered for the Marathon for over 20 years, and will do so again (not a runner, so have never run the thing!)

If you're running, I'll be at the stop just before Mile 23!!! Will give you some water or electrolyte drink :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Pollywog39
    No one around here is running this race? I'm surprised - it's a world-class event..................
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Nope. From runners I've talked to, the route can be a real bore.
  • Pollywog39
    I find that surprising................the route follows the shores of Lake Superior, and from runners I've talked to, they love it! It's generally cooler here, too, so that's a plus for many runners.

Hmmm...................
  • RGv2
    I find that surprising................the route follows the shores of Lake Superior, and from runners I've talked to, they love it! It's generally cooler here, too, so that's a plus for many runners.

Hmmm...................

I think that was the point, you're looking at the lake the whole time.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    I am running the half - my first, and on my birthday no less! :) I live here so we are having people come to stay with us and having a bbq on Saturday night.

It is not a boring race from what I know having lived here and talking to the TONS of people who have run in. It's gorgeous! Plus it takes you into Duluth and ends in Canal Park, so it's not just staring at a lake the whole time. From what I have heard, it's nice because you start out with the calming, beautiful lake view out of town and then it builds excitement just when you need the energy boost to be coming into town, and then end in what is basically the epicenter of all activity in Duluth.
  • RGv2
    I am running the half - my first, and on my birthday no less! :) I live here so we are having people come to stay with us and having a bbq on Saturday night.

It is not a boring race from what I know having lived here and talking to the TONS of people who have run in. It's gorgeous! Plus it takes you into Duluth and ends in Canal Park, so it's not just staring at a lake the whole time. From what I have heard, it's nice because you start out with the calming, beautiful lake view out of town and then it builds excitement just when you need the energy boost to be coming into town, and then end in what is basically the epicenter of all activity in Duluth.

Sorry, it's preference.

I'd take Brainerd's 1/2 10 of 10 times.
  • jenncaroon
    jenncaroon Posts: 91
    I'm not running it this year but I have run it 5 times and the GB half one time. I love the course and all the fun support along the way. I know I'll do it again sometime. Have fun, its a great race!
  • jenncaroon
    jenncaroon Posts: 91
    Good luck to seif0068 enjoy your race and your birthday!
  • ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    You should post this in the Minnesota group!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257

I'm also running the half, not quite on my birthday, since mine is tomorrow :) My sister has ran this one several times and finally talked me into it. I'm driving up there with some friends who are doing the full then meeting my sister up there so we can run it together. We just ran a race here in Nebraska in May and both got a PR, we are hoping to do the same up there! Hopefully the weather cooperates!

Question..I have heard a rumor that after the race people jump into the lake...does anyone know this to be true or not?

Thanks!
  • seif0068

Sorry, it's preference.

I'd take Brainerd's 1/2 10 of 10 times.

Well obviously, it's preference. But earlier in the thread you deemed it boring because others with whom you've talked said it was boring (at that time you did not seem to think the fact that it is a personal preference should preclude you from adding others' opinions). I was merely countering that I've heard the exact opposite from others who have run it.

sammyneb, happy birthday! :) I haven't ever heard about people jumping into the lake after. I also asked a coworker who has lived here all her life and whose sister has run the full, and she's never heard of it either. So, I think that's just a rumor! That said, if you want to cool down in the lake afterwards, the race ends in Canal Park and there is a beautiful beach and a boardwalk with lake access. :)
  • seif0068
    Good luck to seif0068 enjoy your race and your birthday!

Thank you! :D
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Hello from a former Duluthian :)

Never heard of anyone jumping in the lake afterwards. (COLD!)

My goal is for getting back in fitness so I can do the in-line marathon.

To those running, have fun!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Happy Birthday to you too Sief068!

Oh I wasn't planning on jumping into the lake, way to cold for me! But a friend whom I'm riding up with to Duluth who is doing the full had been told it was like a tradition of sorts..
    Then again, maybe it would feel like an ice bath :)
  • seif0068
    It probably would! Haven't had too many warm days up here this "summer" and even with weeks of 80 degree weather, the lake stays pretty chilly.
  • Pollywog39
    Happy Birthday to you too Sief068!

Oh I wasn't planning on jumping into the lake, way to cold for me! But a friend whom I'm riding up with to Duluth who is doing the full had been told it was like a tradition of sorts..
    Then again, maybe it would feel like an ice bath :)

Nope, have never seen that..........but don't doubt there are a few who do! The end of the race is kind of close to the lake, but there are a gazillion people around, and ..........nah, I can't see that happening!

For you Duluthians - HI! I live here, too!
    For you travellers - safe journey.
    For the runners - it's supposed to be coolish (around 60) and might rain on you..................the morning forecast calls for some fog and chances of showers. From the National Weather Service in Duluth: Saturday Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

GOOD LUCK, Seif!!! Look for me just before Mile 23 (no, that's for the full race.....maybe around mile 10 for you??) :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I'll give you some water if you need it!