Recovery Drinks

Options
BettyM1017
BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
I'm getting ready to start the Insanity workout series, and I noticed the trainer mentions a recovery drink and the end of each workout. (Yes, I preview my workout videos.) What do y'all use as recovery drinks, and are they really necessary? I have a really good juicer, and I was planning on making various green juices with an added scoop of protein for my recovery drink. Is this enough? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No. They're not necessary at all.
  • irishdancer214
    irishdancer214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Since I'm trying to lose weight, I'm very against the super high calorie smoothies, etc... If I burn 400 calories, I don't want to eat 350 back in the name of "recovery". However, I generally do some pretty intense workouts that leave me pretty sweaty...so I love putting one of those Nuun electrolyte tablets in my water after my workout... the ones with a little touch of caffeine are awesome too. A little protein can't hurt you, and you should consume some carbs...whether it's part of a banana or if you prefer some of the sugar in gatorade, you need something to help replenish your glycogen stores! Hope this helps!
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    2 Apples bunch of celery and 2 lemons. Juice a few cups and drink. It's better than gatoraid at replacing electrolytes/nutrients
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If insanity involves resistance/weight training? Then, maybe a protein shake will be worthwhile. If by recovery drink they are referring to Red Bull, Monster etc then I would not bother unless you need one or can fit it into your daily calorific/macro allowance. Same applies to smoothies. I would just recommend water and eat your normal food when your hungry.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    2 Apples bunch of celery and 2 lemons. Juice a few cups and drink. It's better than gatoraid at replacing electrolytes/nutrients

And tastes like horse pee to boot!
  • BettyM1017
    Options

I thought my juices would be okay and way better than sports drinks. Personally, I've grown fond of 4 kale leaves, 2 ribs of celery, an apple, an orange, and a pear.

BTW, ceoverturf, how do you know what horse pee tastes like?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I cannot think of a more disgusting combination lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It depends on so many factors - what time of day you are training, what you've eaten beforehand .....
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options

Hey, now, that combination wouldn't be too bad. There are some gross ones out there, though.
  • BZAH10
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »

I thought my juices would be okay and way better than sports drinks. Personally, I've grown fond of 4 kale leaves, 2 ribs of celery, an apple, an orange, and a pear.

Probably better than sports drinks, yes. But, not really necessary. Try drinking a large glass of water first. You may find that you don't need anything supplemental.
  • BZAH10
    Options

What's throwing you all off about this? The lemons? Some of us do not like sweet energy drinks or protein powders and prefer a more savory flavor. When I make juices I balance out the sweet and savory.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »

Some things will have to remain a secret!

ETA: In truth...because I've tasted Miller Lite before.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

What's throwing you all off about this? The lemons? Some of us do not like sweet energy drinks or protein powders and prefer a more savory flavor. When I make juices I balance out the sweet and savory.

For me, the celery.

I don't want to have to floss after drinking something.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

The celery. :s
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    The BeachBody recovery drink is pretty good. Smells and tastes like orange cream. I only take one scoop after major workouts instead of the recommended two (saves money and calories). I've also used Vega Sport Recovery Accelerator (all natural plant based). Also very yummy. Both are around 110 calories for the serving size I use. Honestly I don't notice much of a difference between them. So I'll probably continue with whichever is cheaper when I run out of BB. I did notice a difference in recovery after starting use of a recovery drink though.

A lot of people go with the 4:1 carb-to-protein post workout drink/snack idea. I believe there is research that backs that up but don't have a link for you. Having a shake with that ratio helps you get it within the 20-40min window you are supposed to have it in.

The type of workouts you need a recovery drink for will burn enough calories that you won't miss 100-200 calories by drinking the shake ;) Everyone has their own opinions/preferences. I certainly won't deny that the Insanity program is marketing their own product by mentioning it. P90X2 does it as well. But that doesn't mean the a recovery drink is a bad idea.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Ice-cream, scoop protein, milk (of your choice)

BOOM!
  • BZAH10
    Options

For me, the celery.

To you and to @IsaackGMOON, I juice celery all the time and the strings don't get in the juice! They are extracted by the juicer. It's actually quite yummy, but I understand it's a personal tastes thing.
  • BettyM1017
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info! It looks like my juice with a scoop of protein will work just fine, like it does now. I workout in the morning before heading off to work, and the juice keeps me from devouring a pan full of hushpuppies for lunch! I'll just keep using it.

Btw, the type of juicer makes a big difference, especially when adding celery to your concoction. I have a masticating juicer that extracts the juice with just the right amount of pulp. No celery strings!

Ceoverturf, why? Just why?
  • br3adman
    Options

It actually taste quite good. If you want more sweetness add some peach
  • br3adman
    Options

For me, the celery.

If you Juice it won't be any stringy fibers. It's like drinking fresh orange juice consinsty