WHY...WHY...DO I LOVE YOU CAKE!!

Options

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I only have baked goods in the house that I make myself.

The reason? If I want a cookie, it's easy to grab a (crappy) cookie from the grocery store and scarf it down. But I have to REALLY want it--REALLY, REALLY--to devote the time and attention to making up a whole batch.

So do I want it that badly? Um, yeah, usually not.

Don't have to do this. You can use calorie counting, for sure, and buy what you want. There is nothing more pure or special or healthy about my home-baked stuff (except that they taste way better :P). But it means that any time I REALLY want baked good, I not only get it, but I get the BEST tasting stuff (because I'm not limited by what stores carry but can make and tweak any recipe). And when I don't REALLY want it, I don't eat it.

It's the same with granola bars. I have a granola bar recipe TO DIE FOR. They blow store-bought completely out of the water. Butter and honey taste SO MUCH BETTER than corn syrup. (NO, I'm not going to say they're healthier. Mine almost certainly aren't, not with the level of saturated fat.) So if I really want the bars...I have to make it. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You love cake because it's gloriously delicious.... When it's good.

There's lots of crap generic cake out there. That cake isn't worth wasting calories on. You can still have cake but make it worth it!

Buy individual serves or cupcakes so you can't eat more.
  • kittykaida
    kittykaida Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    See, I have that problem with ghirardelli dark chocolate brownies. (I don't particularly like cake that much, but oh man, something gooey and chocolatey?)

I will keep finding excuses to go through the kitchen over and over "just to grab some crumbs" I tell myself. No, I would graze an entire pan in 2 days flat. I have found that cooling them down, cutting them into little squares and freezing them in a couple different ziplock bags will slow me down significantly, have gone so far as to have one box last almost 2 months... but I love frozen brownies even more now :(

That being said, I have not felt that I can trust myself and have not made any yummy baked goods like that in several months..

If I get a HORRIBLE craving for something, we have a bakery down the street that is fantastic, and sells little teeny tiny desserts like cake, ganache covered mousse, and espresso brownies for about $5 each. I cringe at that price, but that really helps with the moderation aspect, too. It has to be really special to go.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well... I will not lie.... I will eat an entire cake..... I know, don't say it !!! I did give my self some more leadway, hopefully I can Restrain my self from eating so much.. Thank you

What kind of cake? Like one of those huge cakes? Small cake? Patissere type cake which are petite and literally if cut into 6 make 6 small slivers?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

The reason? If I want a cookie, it's easy to grab a (crappy) cookie from the grocery store and scarf it down. But I have to REALLY want it--REALLY, REALLY--to devote the time and attention to making up a whole batch.

Don't have to do this. You can use calorie counting, for sure, and buy what you want. There is nothing more pure or special or healthy about my home-baked stuff (except that they taste way better :P). But it means that any time I REALLY want baked good, I not only get it, but I get the BEST tasting stuff (because I'm not limited by what stores carry but can make and tweak any recipe). And when I don't REALLY want it, I don't eat it.

It's the same with granola bars. I have a granola bar recipe TO DIE FOR. They blow store-bought completely out of the water. Butter and honey taste SO MUCH BETTER than corn syrup. (NO, I'm not going to say they're healthier. Mine almost certainly aren't, not with the level of saturated fat.) So if I really want the bars...I have to make it. :)

Now I want that recipe.

Haha! I'll look it up. It's got like at least half a stick of butter in it. And half a cup of honey. Seriously, fair warning.

Turning into a baked-good snob is awesome for the waistline. I can waltz right past that grocery store bakery and boxed crap. Oh, brownie? I know they aren't a good as my cheesecake brownies. Bye-bye!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I decorate specialty cakes, but I make so many I don't really ever want cake anymore. So while I make a lot of them, I am kind of meh on cake and and I leave them at other people's houses! Want me to come to a baby shower and bring cake, birthday party? No problem, but under no circumstances will I take any left overs home, you order cake, you get allll the cake. I have one tiny piece and the rest is not my problem!

Cake anyone?

ku0tlhw3n6rw.jpg

Wow! That's awesome!

Have you ever seen the cake wreaks blog? It hysterical.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    You had me at Cake. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    kittykaida wrote: »
    See, I have that problem with ghirardelli dark chocolate brownies. (I don't particularly like cake that much, but oh man, something gooey and chocolatey?)

I will keep finding excuses to go through the kitchen over and over "just to grab some crumbs" I tell myself. No, I would graze an entire pan in 2 days flat. I have found that cooling them down, cutting them into little squares and freezing them in a couple different ziplock bags will slow me down significantly, have gone so far as to have one box last almost 2 months... but I love frozen brownies even more now :(

That being said, I have not felt that I can trust myself and have not made any yummy baked goods like that in several months..

If I get a HORRIBLE craving for something, we have a bakery down the street that is fantastic, and sells little teeny tiny desserts like cake, ganache covered mousse, and espresso brownies for about $5 each. I cringe at that price, but that really helps with the moderation aspect, too. It has to be really special to go.

How good is frozen cake... Brownie... Cookie dough... Yum!
  • thompsonmurdock
    thompsonmurdock Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I want the recipe also
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you blow your daily deficit by 1000 calories.

2 cups oats
    3/4 c wheat germ OR Rice Crispies OR crunched up bran flakes
    3/4 c roasted sunflower seeds
    1 c roasted peanuts, crushed, OR slivered roasted almonds OR pecans OR walnuts (or your fave mixture--I usually do at least half peanuts)
    8 oz dried fruit--I prefer 6 oz raisins and 2 oz cranberries, but I've tried apricots, apples, and pineapple. I usually do at least half raisins, though.

2/3 c brown sugar
    1/2 c honey
    4 Tbsp butter
    2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
    1/2 tsp Kosher salt (if the nuts aren't salty)

Mix sugar, honey, vanilla, salt, and butter in a sauce pan and monitor on medium heat until you hit "soft ball" on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, mix everything else in a bowl and spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick spray or rub it with butter.

Pour the sugar mixture on top of the rest in the bowl and mix. When covered, transfer into the 9x13" casserole and smoosh with buttery/oils fingers until nice and packed. Wait until it's cool and cut into bars, or else scoop out your share deliciously hot before the ravening hyenas (AKA your family) descend and the whole thing disappears.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you blow your daily deficit by 1000 calories.

2 cups oats
    3/4 c wheat germ OR Rice Crispies OR crunched up bran flakes
    3/4 c roasted sunflower seeds
    1 c roasted peanuts, crushed, OR slivered roasted almonds OR pecans OR walnuts (or your fave mixture--I usually do at least half peanuts)
    8 oz dried fruit--I prefer 6 oz raisins and 2 oz cranberries, but I've tried apricots, apples, and pineapple. I usually do at least half raisins, though.

2/3 c brown sugar
    1/2 c honey
    4 Tbsp butter
    2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
    1/2 tsp Kosher salt (if the nuts aren't salty)

Mix sugar, honey, vanilla, salt, and butter in a sauce pan and monitor on medium heat until you hit "soft ball" on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, mix everything else in a bowl and spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick spray or rub it with butter.

Pour the sugar mixture on top of the rest in the bowl and mix. When covered, transfer into the 9x13" casserole and smoosh with buttery/oils fingers until nice and packed. Wait until it's cool and cut into bars, or else scoop out your share deliciously hot before the ravening hyenas (AKA your family) descend and the whole thing disappears.

Good lord. That's wicked lovely and maybe needs to be classified as a controlled substance. Thanks!

Welcome! It completely cured my urge to ever snack on boxed granola bars, at least. LOL. I used to make it about once a month when I was slimmer. Now, THAT'S a reason to lose the weight if there ever was one! I can totally eat these monthly on maintenance.
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Wow! That's awesome!

Have you ever seen the cake wreaks blog? It hysterical.

I have, love looking at those and nailed it photos of baked goods!
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Switch to pie because it is more deliciouser.

Ha. I'd say ice cream. I cannot eat an entire cake or pie, but I could totally eat a half gallon of ice cream.
    randomtai wrote: »
    Well... I will not lie.... I will eat an entire cake..... I know, don't say it !!! I did give my self some more leadway, hopefully I can Restrain my self from eating so much.. Thank you

That is usually from restricting yourself too much. Moderation is key.

Definitely don't agree with this for all people in all situations. There are some foods that you should not have around, "trigger foods." If cake makes you bat crazy, don't bring it in the house. Also, make sure you are hitting all your nutrient needs. If you are deficient in a whole lot of vitamins, way under your protein and fat intakes for the day, you'll probably find yourself craving some junk.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I find having kids helps... you can't make cake/pie/cookies, etc or have ice cream in the house and eat it all. They'll find a way to devour 3/4 of it for you.

Also agree with this. Though my kids dig on my broccoli, as long as it's on my plate and not theirs.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    In my best southern accent, I will say, "Bless your heart." I totally get you. I'm that way with peanut butter granola bars. I can't eat just one, unless I buy just one. I know that, at my local Ingles grocery store, you can buy single slices of cake. Maybe you can try that to avoid overindulging?
  • EricTeeter
    EricTeeter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Google this cake "mega healthy honey olive quinoa cake" it is the best cake and it works with my better eating habits also
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Haha! I'll look it up. It's got like at least half a stick of butter in it. And half a cup of honey. Seriously, fair warning.

Turning into a baked-good snob is awesome for the waistline. I can waltz right past that grocery store bakery and boxed crap. Oh, brownie? I know they aren't a good as my cheesecake brownies. Bye-bye!

Umm am I the only one who wants the cheesecake brownie recipe?!? Combining my two favorite desserts ever? Yes please!!