How do I increase my water intake???

Options
Sort of a silly question. Trying to figure out how to incorporate more water into my day, especially during the week. Problem is that the least amount of water sends me to the bathroom. I am a social worker who makes home visits Monday-Friday and it is very difficult sometimes to get to a bathroom since I live/work in a rural area. And stressing over how to get to a bathroom sends my anxiety into overdrive. Soda does not seem to cause this problem, only water. Any suggestions? Does your bladder get more used to the water over time? Thanks.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Drink more water?
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Can you ask the homeowner to use their restroom?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Does your bladder get more used to the water over time? Thanks.

Yes, I find that when I increase the amount of plain water I drink I tend to need to go to the restroom more at first but then I adjust. I used to avoid water on planes because I hate having to go to the bathroom on one, but now it's fine. (I had the same thing where for some reason water would seem to run through me faster.)

Can you scope out possible bathroom options or is your route not similar enough daily? Gas stations tend to be good options, Starbucks, so on.
  • candigurl322
    candigurl322 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do, quite often actually lol. Some I won't, but the majority are clean and safe. Often have to drive 30 mins to an hour between visits, which is the problem. :#
  • candigurl322
    candigurl322 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have my restrooms mapped out in the areas I'm traveling in. That does help, I guess I just find myself getting frustrated at my body for not being able to, well, "hold it in better." I think maybe increasing my water gradually may be the best option to allow my body time to adjust.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I live in the city and I'm pretty much always caught without a bathroom. Don't know what to tell you. I've been in some...interesting situations, because of it.
  • Suenellcb
    Suenellcb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you keep a large bottle of water with you (say a bottle that holds 3 cups of water) you will drink it all versus just filling a cup. If my bottle is next to me, I will drink. The bathroom issues subside when you learn to spread the water out through the day. Also, whenever you feel hungry, drink water first. You will find you are not as hungry.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Move more. Activity, sweating, movement... It all increases thirst.

Also, bring a shaker cup with you at all times. Out of sight, out of mind. You can fill it with water or a protein shake or a preworkout.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How much water are you drinking a day? Maybe drink less.
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    Haha! Well my bladder has never gotten used to it. I just find a restroom when I need one. Why not stop by a fast food place or grocery store or someplace on your way to the house if you feel uncomfortable asking to use their restroom? Just think of water helping your body to flush toxins out of your system and carry a refillable water bottle with you wherever you go.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you aren't thirsty, don't drink more. Unless you're sweating BUCKETS, you're not dehydrated if you're not thirsty.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Cayenne pepper add it to plain yogurt or applesauce get 4 cups of water ready you will need it. If you're in a rural area go in the woods if you have to. Cayenne helps control body musus and helps your metabolism so its good for you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Just pull over and pee on a tree
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »
    Cayenne pepper add it to plain yogurt or applesauce get 4 cups of water ready you will need it. If you're in a rural area go in the woods if you have to. Cayenne helps control body musus and helps your metabolism so its good for you.

Good lord, no to all of this!

What the heck is a body musus?
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options

mucus (MYOO-kəss) English pronunciation: /mju:kəs/ (adjectival form: "mucous") is a slippery secretion produced by, and covering, mucous membrane. Read about Cayenne they even bottle it for metabolism....
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

mucus (MYOO-kəss) English pronunciation: /mju:kəs/ (adjectival form: "mucous") is a slippery secretion produced by, and covering, mucous membrane. Read about Cayenne they even bottle it for metabolism....

Just stop talking.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks for the definition, but I know what mucus is. That is not what you had typed which is why I was asking what musus is. Just saying you typo'd would've been fine. And more honest.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Body mucus.

binge30n-3-web.jpg?enlarged
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Body mucus.

binge30n-3-web.jpg?enlarged

I was literally just putting a bite of yogurt for breakfast into my mouth...thanks for that. ha.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if it's a silly obvious question OP, but have you been to the doc about how active your bladder is? Maybe there's a reason you have this issue with water, I have no clue about the subject to make any suggestions, but if it causes such a problem for you then it might be worthwhile to make sure there's not some simple answer to your problem that the doc could explain and fix.

Since the problem is mainly an issue while you're working, you could always stick to soda on the job and have snacks like juicy fruit (melon, cucumber, oranges) from which we get a small amount of water. Then you could drink water for the rest of the day after your shift.