Wimping out or should I be working through injury

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
So today I was at my physical therapist's for my ongoing shoulder injury, which has plagued me since the fall. I've had X-rays and was diagnosed as having deterioration between the shoulder and where it joins the clavicle, but nothing can be done surgically (unlike a rotator cuff it's not the kind of thing that can get repaired). I've been backing off on a lot of my upper body workouts for six months -- no overhead presses, using lighter weights, only knees-down planks and push-ups, and modifying yoga poses that cause pain (such as when I reach my arm over my head for side angles -- the arm just doesn't go all the way). In fact, I backed off on some gardening tasks, such as mulching, because of the injury. Now, I'm gradually "turning the corner" and experiencing pain relief after some reiki and massage therapy (and 3 months of PT!).

Here's my question, at the PT today, I ran into a friend who has a teen-age daughter with plantar fascitis and tendon and ligament injuries in her feet. She is doing dancing and softball, and is in tears at the end of the day due to her pain, but she is not giving up any activities. Instead, she is doing PT, and getting various orthotics to put into her dance and athletic shoes. Listening to this mom talk about the girl pushing through all this pain to do recitals and continue playing sports made me feel very "wimpy."

I know there is the "push through it", "no pain, no gain" philosophy if one really wants to meet one's goals. I had certain goals about my own fitness that I gave up due to my injury, and I am suffering some consequences, such as serious muscle loss and excess skin in my upper arms. I'm wondering whether I should have just taken some extra aleve and toughed it out. I'm also wondering if I should be "stepping it up" and resuming my workouts ASAP, as summer is upon us, and I don't feel too comfortable in sleeveless and very short sleeves with the way my arms look now.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've pushed through a few injuries and it did more damage. My recovery was longer than it should have been and I still pay for it. You have to weigh the risk versus potential reward. Sometimes there is no reward in working through injuries.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    You're 56 and comparing yourself to a 17-y-o? That sounds like a poor start. I have pushed through injury only to be sidelined longer, and with more pain during recovery. I have also pushed back into workouts when I have been close to "recovered", but found myself back in pain and stopping workouts.

As someone who has been dealing with plantar fasciitis for 12 months, I think this mother and daughter are going at this in an ill-advised way. You can't out-exercise PF. It simply won't go away if you continue with that (or any, really) activity level. While it is extremely difficult to give up certain exercises, if she doesn't, and continues at this level, she can plan on pain and tears, and lots of both. Too bad someone isn't helping her through this in a more healthy way. Sounds like her identity is pretty wrapped up in dance and softball. Teen years are a hard time to try something new, but it's a great life lesson that would serve her well.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you cant compare yourself to a teenager LOL

I had a shoulder injury (of undetermined cause) that my brother (and athletic trainer) and his fiancee (an occupational therapist) both advised me to push- not to the point of tears, but to work and stretch the muscle. it took several months, but is better now.

I would really advise talking to a healthcare professional who can accurately assess the situation to give a better idea of what will work best in your situation.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    That teenager is a moron for continuing her activities. She's lengthening the healing process

Ive got injuries and as much as I wanna run, the pain at the end of the day isn't worth it.

I'd discuss this with your PT since they know the status of your shoulder. I wouldn't push it personally.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    The pain you describe is not the pain you force yourself to work through. I definitely would not mask the pain with pain relievers, that will only make matters worse. Give yourself time to heal and adjust your workouts accordingly. Hope you continue to improve.
  • rosebette
    Options
    I certainly don't expect to be like a teen-ager, but from reading this site and accounts of many fit adults, they often "push through" pain to get results. I'm not hoping to bench press 100 lbs.; just to be able to hold a plank for 30 seconds or do an overhead press with something heavier than 3 lbs.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I certainly don't expect to be like a teen-ager, but from reading this site and accounts of many fit adults, they often "push through" pain to get results. I'm not hoping to bench press 100 lbs.; just to be able to hold a plank for 30 seconds or do an overhead press with something heavier than 3 lbs.
    Don't do it. I know how you feel, believe me - also have a rotator cuff issue, and one in my wrist, and my knee, and my feet. Stay within the limits of pain. Tendons just take a long time to heal.

You can try isometric exercises to feel like you're doing something.
  • jwerner11
    jwerner11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't push through it as you can lead to injuries in other areas. You are doing way more at this point than most 50 somethings so that is to be commended. Focus on mobility and improving range of motion. Look for a neuro muscular massage therapist in your area. They can do amazing things in just 1 or 2 visits and get you back into your workout routine quicker
  • rosebette
    Options
    jwerner11 wrote: »
    Definitely don't push through it as you can lead to injuries in other areas. You are doing way more at this point than most 50 somethings so that is to be commended. Focus on mobility and improving range of motion. Look for a neuro muscular massage therapist in your area. They can do amazing things in just 1 or 2 visits and get you back into your workout routine quicker

I just saw someone on Thursday for 30 minutes who made me feel better than I had in months. I had full range of motion when she was finished with me. I'm definitely following up with her.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It took me far longer than it should have done to realize that choosing not to work through injuries isn't wimping out. It's just being smart. I ended up losing almost a year of training due to a back injury I got because I didn't want to wimp out.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Listening to your body and training without pain isn't wimping out, it's playing smart.

Train within the limits of what you can do pain free and get back to everything much faster.
  • 4thhorseman
    4thhorseman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, literally lol. I've been recovering from having shrapnel dug out of both shoulders, its been about 7 months since my last surgery and I should be cleared to lift again in July. For shoulders it's pretty rare that pain would not have a source, if it has a source 98% of the time it can be dealt with in some fashion. The immediate fix would more than likely be cortisone injections however I would suggest having a direct dye injection MRI if you haven't already. I would STRONGLY suggest seeing a quality sports Dr (regardless of how you injured it) before continuing to work through the pain, if a sports Dr tells you the pain is there to stay and you're not actually damaging anything then its up to you and how much you can handle. My knees and shoulders will always hurt but the damage has already been done and I'm just not ready for knitting and a rocking chair so I choose to work through it
  • rosebette
    Options
    I feel your pain, literally lol. I've been recovering from having shrapnel dug out of both shoulders, its been about 7 months since my last surgery and I should be cleared to lift again in July. For shoulders it's pretty rare that pain would not have a source, if it has a source 98% of the time it can be dealt with in some fashion. The immediate fix would more than likely be cortisone injections however I would suggest having a direct dye injection MRI if you haven't already. I would STRONGLY suggest seeing a quality sports Dr (regardless of how you injured it) before continuing to work through the pain, if a sports Dr tells you the pain is there to stay and you're not actually damaging anything then its up to you and how much you can handle. My knees and shoulders will always hurt but the damage has already been done and I'm just not ready for knitting and a rocking chair so I choose to work through it

My PT says that when this round is finished, she's going to recommend that the doctor refer me for a dye MRI. I've had two cortisone shots. They work for a couple of weeks but then "wear off."
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Pushing through the pain of an injury is dangerous, unless the dr let's you know it is safe. In the case of your friend's daugther, what she is doing is very risky and it is sad the parents are enabling this careless behaviour. Do not doubt yourself, you are doing the right thing.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It always depends on the injury. Many you can work around or through. You just need to be smart about it.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Working out with muscle soreness has, for me, nearly always been good.
    Working out with joint pain or injury has, for me, nearly always been counter-productive.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I woke up this morning with my back crippled, I took paracetamol and ibuprofen and tried to run. I lasted under 3 minutes and my back is worse than this morning. I should have listened to my body!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    Working out with muscle soreness has, for me, nearly always been good.
    Working out with joint pain or injury has, for me, nearly always been counter-productive.

Yeah this, this is the difference. And normal muscle soreness, on both sides, ~2 days after working out (DOMs), not eg a sprain.