What's worse -- getting too little potassium or too little protein?

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
I'm on 1200 calories a day because I'm over 50 and short. I find it hard to meet my protein macros (I'm trying to get around 88 -- 1 gram per lb. of lean body mass) and potassium on that number of calories. I'm doing better with the protein than the potassium -- I usually get around 60 g a day, which is still above the RDA requirement, anyway. But high-potassium foods like bananas and potatoes are pretty carb and calorie dense. An average banana is over 100 calories, for instance. If I have to choose between what to try to get the most of, which one should I strive for -- more potassium or more protein? I do tend to get calf pain in the summer months after zumba or kickboxing, or even a lot of walking.

Replies

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I would say protein is more important because it's one of the main macros, gives energy, helps you feel full longer, maintain muscle mass, etc., but potassium is still important.
    With that said, I don't think companies are required to put the nutritional information for potassium on their labels, so you're likely getting more potassium than you think.
    As for calf pain, you obviously are aware potassium can help with cramping. But getting in better shape and staying hydrated can also help.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I would say don't worry so much about the potassium, but it does sound like you need it. Try googling foods high in potassium. There are plenty of options that are lower in calories and some that also provide a decent amount of protein.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

On this website, several beans are top of the list as well as spinach. Spinach also has a good deal of protein for the amount of calories - about 2 g protein for 15 calories in about a cup. You could sautee some spinach and mushrooms (also on the list) and create a sauce for it and serve it with your protein. Yogurt is also on the list and greek yogurt is high in protein.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    are you sure you're deficient in potassium (via bloodwork from your doctor)?

you may just need more water daily?
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bananas aren't the only source of potassium. A serving of baby spinach has 751.5 mg and is only 20 calories. Bell peppers, cherries, and avocados also have potassium.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you're right about how potassium gets reported. I've been eating a "spring mix" type salad all week that has baby spinach, as well as putting mushrooms in a number of things but the potassium count doesn't show up in MFP. I had blood work done a while back, and all my levels are fine by the way. I am trying to drink more water but I've heard too much water without potassium and sodium to balance can be toxic.