New to MFP & 'fitness' in general, hello!

Options
Hello everyone,

I've signed up today as one of my first steps towards reaching my goals - to be healthier, slimmer and gain some muscle!

I'm fairly new to 'fitness' and all that it entails. I've started eating a lot better the last ~6months, making a conscious effort to cut out sugary snacks and drinks, to eat less carbs (and better ones) and get more protein. I've also started doing some weight exercises with dumbbells at home, but despite reading/watching lots of advice I don't think I'm doing it well or efficiently. I've struggled with motivation lately (the last 2/3weeks) and have slipped in back in to old habits - more sugary stuff, bad diet, less exercising.

I'm hoping this community can be a hotbed of inspiration, information and motivation. If you think you can help me out in any way (and it'd have to be in layman's terms), please feel free!

Best of luck with your own personal goals too :)

Replies

• JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hiya. It's easy to fall into a slump and let one bad day dictate weeks that turn into months that turn into years and next thing you know you are really unhealthy. The best advice I can give you is stick to exercises that you really enjoy. It doesn't have to be something complicated that your not sure how to do. YouTube has great workout videos that I do when I just don't feel up to the gym. If you want to eat healthy and lose weight the best thing is to track all your calories since it's all about calories in verse calories out. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer them. If you want you can send me a friends request! Have a great day and good luck!
  • Brigante37
    Brigante37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Going to try my utmost to not fall in to that slump...

I'll fire you a FR now, it's nice to see how others are doing and (hopefully) I'll be less likely to drop off again if people can see when I'm not working towards my goals.
  • Jacko_87
    Jacko_87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi brigantine, you're starting on almost the same quest as myself! It's nice to see someone else on the forum in exactly the same situation as I am in.

Good luck, I'm sure you can do it.
  • Brigante37
    Brigante37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Jacko_87 wrote: »
    Hi brigantine, you're starting on almost the same quest as myself! It's nice to see someone else on the forum in exactly the same situation as I am in.

Good luck, I'm sure you can do it.
    Good luck to you too mate! Hope you've had a healthier, exercised-filled weekend.