Summer alternative for spaghetti squash

majigurl
majigurl Posts: 660 Member
does anyone know of a good alternative for spaghetti squash in the summer? Harder to find and its not as fresh as in the fall here.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Spiralized zucchini
  • FloralBlossom
    FloralBlossom Posts: 21 Member
    Spiralized zucchini

I've tried this. How long do you cook the zucchini? I can NEVER get it soft enough.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited June 2015
    I boiled it for about 3min with my regular pasta that was mostly done. It was perfect @FloralBlossom
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Spiralized zucchini

I've tried this. How long do you cook the zucchini? I can NEVER get it soft enough.

I personally pan fry mine (without oil in a nonstick skillet) and then sauce it.

I have also had great success with it raw with a pesto type sauce. But it's more like just plain zucchini (which i love). :)
  • anachronicles
    anachronicles Posts: 109 Member
    I also like to thinly cut (red) cabbage lengthwise so you have long strands of it, boil it with a bit of vinegar until soft, and then use that as my noodle alternative. I know people often hate on boiled cabbage, but I find it pretty filling and it pairs well with cider or wine vinegars.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I also like to thinly cut (red) cabbage lengthwise so you have long strands of it, boil it with a bit of vinegar until soft, and then use that as my noodle alternative. I know people often hate on boiled cabbage, but I find it pretty filling and it pairs well with cider or wine vinegars.

people hate boiled cabbage? :open_mouth: what????
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »

people hate boiled cabbage? :open_mouth: what????

I LOVE BOILED CABBAGE. My husband does not share my love. :(
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    To be fair... I don't like melon. Like, any. At all. lol