Not consuming enough calories

Options
2»

Replies

• MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    They never said they were staying in bed when they weren't tired, they said they slept in... Probably because they're lacking in sleep and catching up. If they want to sleep that much, then what's the problem? We're a sleep-deprived society.
    As far as the calorie deficit, I would pay close attention to your symptoms and see if you're getting more tired, or low energy etc. I think the occasional very low calorie dating is probably fine, it's not good to do frequently. I understand what you mean about not wanting to "trigger" bad eating by forcing yourself to eat more than you feel like, but honestly, you'd probably be feeling pretty hungry if you were really eating so low, so if you're not feeling hungry I would think you're fine and you're probably eating more calories than you think.
    Also, eventually you will need to eat more when you reach your goal, so you might want to think about ways of increasing your calories without being triggering or you will have trouble with maintenance.

That's right. Ever since I came back on MFP and started exercising, I felt like my appetite decreased. It's probably due to exercising or eating more veggies than I used to (or both).
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,827 Member
    Options
    MitsuShai wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Last, but not least, any particular reason you're hovering around 1200 Cal?

1200 often pops up because you're trying to lose 2lbs a week. Depending on the amount of fat that you have available to lose... this may or may not be an over-aggressive goal for you.

Yes, I set it to lose 2 lbs a week. I didn't think that mattered too much since it didn't change my exercise requirements. I'm trying to lose 15-20 pounds. My BMI is borderline but still within the normal range :smile:

The exercise "requirement" is something that you put into MFP yourself. MFP utterly ignores it.

MFP makes an estimate of your non exercise activity thermogenesis based on the activity level you select and then deducts the deficit you told the program you want to create. Then it tells you how many calories you should consume to achieve that deficit.

If you are a guy it doesn't suggest less than 1500. If you're a gal it bottoms at 1200.

MFP assumes that you will log your exercise as you perform it. Doing so adds an exercise adjustment to your calorie allotment.

Depending on the type of exercise and your goals people advocate eating back anywhere from 50% to 100% of the exercise burns.

Typically people in the normal weight range have less fat available to lose and in order to minimize the concurrent loss of lean mass should probably lose weight at the rate of 0.7% of bodyweight per week, or slower. Many people advocate a 0.5lb to 1lb maximum rate of loss for people within the normal BMI range.

Eating somewhere between 0.8g and 1.2g of protein per lb of lean muscle mass, and lifting progressively heavier weights, will also help ensure the minimal loss of lean mass.
  • MitsuShai
    MitsuShai Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The exercise "requirement" is something that you put into MFP yourself. MFP utterly ignores it.

MFP makes an estimate of your non exercise activity thermogenesis based on the activity level you select and then deducts the deficit you told the program you want to create. Then it tells you how many calories you should consume to achieve that deficit.....

Thank you! I didn't know that.