lose fat gain muscle

Options
Noob here :)

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    According to many it is quite difficult if not impossible to make muscular gains on a calorie deficit, due to needing a surplus of energy to efficiently build muscle(calorie surplus). But a few studies have found it is possible for men with high bf% and little to no experience in weight training to achieve both simultaneously. Physically though we are unable to build muscle with a negative nitrogen balance. (Affected by sleep, stress, protein intake, and nutrition). So in theory with a positive nitrogen balance its believe by some that you can effectively build muscle as long as you are providing an anabolic environment in which muscle needs to grow and build
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I have tried a calorie deficit bulk, and experience only minor results, but my bf% is also in the 11-13% range
  • jesusarolon
    jesusarolon Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you focus on the weight loss first, then the bulking.
  • pieshin118
    pieshin118 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose fat and gain muscle ... its called a recomposition. You eat at maintenance, make sure you get sufficient protein to fuel muscle gain, and exercise with activities designed to stress your muscles into growth ( ie strength training ).

Many will say its more efficient to use bulk/cut cycles, and it may be. They will also say a recomp takes longer, which it probably does. I can't speak from experience, since I've never tried a bulk/cut cycle.