What counts as water...

Options
I see this question asked often. Can you count stuff other the pure water towards your daily intake? Yes
Here is a list of how much water is in other beverages/foods.
100% - water (obviously), unflavored seltzer water, plain tea
95% - 99% diet soft drinks, sugar free gelatin, clear broth, celery, cucumber, lettuce, summer squash, black coffee
90% - 94% sports drinks, grapefruit, strawberries, broccoli, tomatoes
80% - 89% sugar sweetened soft drinks, milk, yogurt, egg whites, fruit juice, low fat cottage cheese, cooked oatmeal, apple, carrot
60% - 79% low calorie mayo, instant pudding, lean steak, pork chop, baked potato, cooked rice
40% - 59% sausage, chicken, macaroni and cheese, diet margarine

Obviously most of these have calories, a few have added sugar, but if they fit with your daily goals use them to add variety to your day.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So sausages, Mac and cheese, pork chops and baked potatoes etc are considered a drink?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    All those things are correct, but how is it useful? A person's water daily water requirements are easy to obtain with a few glasses worth. Other (non-alcoholic) drinks count, too. Trying to track water consumption in the contents of food is overthinking the problem.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I asked a RD what counted as water in your meal plan. She said water and water with powered drink mixes in it, as long as there was no caffeine in the powered drink mixes. So, I"m sticking with what the RD said. I agree that tracking water content in food is being overly obsessive and agree that it's over thinking the question.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    elphie - of course they are not drinks, but they do provide hydration

bpetrosky - you may not have a problem getting water in your day, but I see many posts of people saying they don't like plain water and what are the alternatives, so I provided some alternatives

may_kee - I am currently going to school to become a RD and this is directly from my nutrition textbook, so this list is what they are currently teaching RD's.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    But again, how is this applied practically? Are you giving these people a target of how much water (or water substitute) to get, and they're expected to determine the water content of sausage to help reach that goal?

Considering how awash we are in over-complicated diet advice about calories and macronutrients alone, does it help to over-complicate information about getting enough water?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    I asked a RD what counted as water in your meal plan. She said water and water with powered drink mixes in it, as long as there was no caffeine in the powered drink mixes. So, I"m sticking with what the RD said. I agree that tracking water content in food is being overly obsessive and agree that it's over thinking the question.

The diuretic effects of caffeine are negligible.... I count all liquid (with the exception of alcohol, but I drink that so rarely as it is..)
  • mom2kpr
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    But again, how is this applied practically? Are you giving these people a target of how much water (or water substitute) to get, and they're expected to determine the water content of sausage to help reach that goal?

Considering how awash we are in over-complicated diet advice about calories and macronutrients alone, does it help to over-complicate information about getting enough water?

I think everyone else is over complicating it. Say your goal is 8 glasses of water, but after 6 your bored with water. Think about what you else you've had. I had coffee or tea for breakfast - easy enough - I used 8 oz of water. Then I had strawberries for a snack and a salad with some of the vegetables and milk for lunch. No I don't know the exact oz of water, but I can be pretty safe in saying that I was well hydrated for the day & I don't need to obsess over drinking 8 glasses of plain water. Personally I drink 65 - 90 oz a day, about 30 oz with flavoring, plus my coffee and whatever else may on this list, but I've noticed that some people insist they HAVE to have 8 glasses of pure water a day - which simply isn't true.
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was fine till I read pork chops and sausage
  • mom2kpr
    Options

I agree, I find some of these a little odd, but it's from my book from a class in nutrition I'm currently taking.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I drink 6 or 7 of fluids each day,
    The 8 cups a day is a "rule" that someone made up and others repeated it often so enough that every eventually treated as If it were a real rule
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I'd ask for a refund because if they are teaching that sausages and pork chops count as fluid intake, there is something not right lol. Almost all food has water in it, so why single these out?
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Vodka. First thing that came to mind. :wink:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    But again, how is this applied practically?

Because it reduces the water requirement to "if you're thirsty, drink".

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Muscle is mostly water.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    Vodka. First thing that came to mind. :wink:

Vodka in the US is typically 40% ABV, so the remaining 60% is pretty much water....I wouldn't suggest that as a water substitute though.

Bud light, I would suggest as a water substitute.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I actually like it when someone posts info like this. I hate water for the most part but I also dislike other cold beverages. I do drink like 5 big cups of tea a day now and have always wondered how much "water" you are getting from other foods to keep hydrated. Thanks OP!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own definition. To me, water is water, juice is juice, soda is soda and grapes are grapes.

But you can count anything you want! It's your diary, your body and your weight loss journey. :)
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree that 64 oz day is just a guide. For example, people in certain climates even need more per day. I realize you have a nice, new text book and you value it highly. It's just something that people decided was good at the time the text was written. I still disagree with you and will continue to disagree. The RD that helped me was practical and didn't try to complicate things.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    I agree that 64 oz day is just a guide. For example, people in certain climates even need more per day. I realize you have a nice, new text book and you value it highly. It's just something that people decided was good at the time the text was written. I still disagree with you and will continue to disagree. The RD that helped me was practical and didn't try to complicate things.

I think your RD is merely simplifying things

It's true that the whole you must drink x amount is fallacious. We get hydrated by foods as well as drink. Water is easy cos it's zero calories but every drink and food counts

Drink if you're thirsty, check your urine colour is a good enough guide to adequate hydration

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You really don't even need to look at your urine to see if you should drink.

Unless you have some medical or psychological condition that affects your sense of thirst, you can trust your thirst to guide you. Keep water around, take a drink when you feel like it.

It really is that easy. :)