Always Being Able to Eat on A Bulk

Options
So I am two weeks into my first ever bulk and I am a little unsure of my process and wonder if you guys could give me some assistance. I walk approximately 3 miles on average and 22 floors of stairs daily. Then I workout 5 days a week with heavy weights in the gym for approximately 40 minutes (I have ramped up my intensity cause I am trying to gain muscle). I am 140 lbs male 5'7-8 and 20 years old.

The problem I run into is that I am always down to eat, I underwent about a 70lb weight loss last year and want to gain muscle, but don't want to get back to the way I was before (when I was pretty overweight).

Thus, I try to keep my eating scheduled so as not to go over board. I eat something to the extent of:
Breakfast
Snack
Lunch
Snack
Dinner
Snack

For example, yesterday I had:
4 slices watermelon (about 2 cups diced?)
1 onion bagel
About 4oz Lox
4tbsp of cream cheese (about

Chobani flip yogurt

Chicken And Cheese Quesadilla (2 tortillas, chicken breast in jalapeño tomato sauce, and some jack cheese...not measured out but I am estimating 700 calories)

Post workout: cup of cottage cheese and fruit salad on top

11oz (before cooking) tuna steak, marinated in some sesame oil and cooked in a little oil too
Cucumber salad with some sesame oil
Rice noodles with a little oil and soy

Before bed: 1 scoop whey with 1-1.5 cups of milk

I woke up this morning immediately hungry, and I honestly don't get it. To me, this seems like a lot of food but I am still hungry when I wake up the next day. Is this normal? Because I'm only two weeks in I can't accurately gauge whether I have really gained weight just yet, but I don't want to be undereating and not making gains but I also don't want to be going overboard.

I've already asked some questions on this before because bulking is so new to me, but could you all give me a little more advice going forward?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You're confused as to why you get hungry every day?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Sorry don't mean to stalk you chief....but yeah this^^
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Im confused as to whether I am hitting the right surplus for muscle gain, I suppose. Because, objectively I see this as a good amount of calorie intake each day, but I wake up so hungry and I am never overly full or anything (even though I eat a lot of nutrient dense food) that I question whether I am overestimating things. Bulking is so foreign to me that I just am looking for some advice on how to handle myself both with how I should eat and psychologically (as it is kind of difficult to wrap your head around after needing to lose weight for most of your life, then finally achieving it only to go back up on the scales)...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    dpr73 wrote: »

Im confused as to whether I am hitting the right surplus for muscle gain, I suppose. Because, objectively I see this as a good amount of calorie intake each day, but I wake up so hungry and I am never overly full or anything (even though I eat a lot of nutrient dense food) that I question whether I am overestimating things. Bulking is so foreign to me that I just am looking for some advice on how to handle myself both with how I should eat and psychologically (as it is kind of difficult to wrap your head around after needing to lose weight for most of your life, then finally achieving it only to go back up on the scales)...

Eating what you "feel" is a "good amount of food" will get you nowhere. Count calories and monitor your progress; it's like losing weight in reverse.
  • dpr73
    Options
    In fact, I just finished breakfast about an hour ago: 2 fried eggs, jalapeño cheddar bagel, a ton of fruit salad (I estimate about 2 cups maybe even a little more) and don't know whether I should wait until lunch to eat again or snack in between. I am not overly full so I could eat between breakfast and lunch (as I hear it is good to have something in between on a bulk) but I also don't want to overdo things because I have read that a modest surplus is necessary on a bulk and I just don't know if what I am doing is overdone.

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but like I've said I just don't want to go overboard with my bulk but would also hate to underdo things
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    In fact, I just finished breakfast about an hour ago: 2 fried eggs, jalapeño cheddar bagel, a ton of fruit salad (I estimate about 2 cups maybe even a little more) and don't know whether I should wait until lunch to eat again or snack in between. I am not overly full so I could eat between breakfast and lunch (as I hear it is good to have something in between on a bulk) but I also don't want to overdo things because I have read that a modest surplus is necessary on a bulk and I just don't know if what I am doing is overdone.

Perhaps I am overthinking this, but like I've said I just don't want to go overboard with my bulk but would also hate to underdo things

What is your daily calorie intake?
  • dpr73
    Options

What is your daily calorie intake?

I honestly don't know. My family cooks all the dinners and everything and they honestly think it's disordered to be weighing everything so I don't. Also, since they cook the dinners I can't weigh out every piece of food and measure every scrape of oil that goes in the pan.

I would estimate that yesterday's intake described above...it was about 700 for breakfast, 240 for snack, 700 for Lunch, 310 for post workout, 900 for dinner, 300 for shake

That's about 3350 calories on the day,