7,200 calories burned in a day?!

Options
2»

Replies

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's 100 percent accurate and even I have said a few times I feel like 7200 calories in a day could be high, but from of the replies I feel like some people are saying I'm only burning 1,200 calories in 10 hours of my job, as I've said Multiple times I don't have faith that it's pure accurate but I have seen the proof that it is at least somewhere in the correct range and I am still consistently losing weight so I am happy. I was wondering more if 7200 is something people would say is possible or if I'm closer to 62-6500. I'll know In a week or two as I weigh weekly and I will be tracking the deficit very closely
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    I'm not trying to cause problems or get people upset that wasn't my intention at all. My calorie burn is all over the place, today I will prolly only burn 3200 or so if that, Monday and Tuesday I'm guessing will be in the 4500-5000 range and Wednesday Thursday will be huge numbers again. That's how I'm not dropping 10 pounds a week. Next week may be 5 days of 3200 calories.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's probably going to be hard to estimate using a pedometer because you are also lifting. I would go with what your pedometer says for now and track accurately. Then, readjust your nutrition in about a month after you have had some time to average a couple weeks. Definitely eat more food on the days with the higher burn numbers so you don't binge. I would believe the higher numbers just based on what I burn hiking in a couple hours. Larger people can burn alot more.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hmmm. When I do 25,000 steps, I hit 2200 calories......

But I don't weigh that much. 7200 would we awfully high, though. I'd just track calories and weight closely for a few weeks to see.

6200 I can see more. :)
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would average your weeks out. If you are sedatory for 1 week and physically active 2-3 days the next week. Add your calories for the 2 weeks and divide by 14. This is more likely to be more accurate than a daily check
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it's 100 percent accurate and even I have said a few times I feel like 7200 calories in a day could be high, but from of the replies I feel like some people are saying I'm only burning 1,200 calories in 10 hours of my job, as I've said Multiple times I don't have faith that it's pure accurate but I have seen the proof that it is at least somewhere in the correct range and I am still consistently losing weight so I am happy. I was wondering more if 7200 is something people would say is possible or if I'm closer to 62-6500. I'll know In a week or two as I weigh weekly and I will be tracking the deficit very closely
    Sorry, but there is no way that you are even close to 62-6500 in a day. I work in a very large ER and easily walk 6 to 8 miles before the end of my shift. I don't even burn anywhere near that number of calories.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If 2 separate devices are giving you similar readings it's probably best to check by eating back your calories and seeing if your loss rate actually is your deficit over 3-4 weeks. If it is then you can be pretty certain it's right, if you're not losing at the rate you've set your diary for then work out the margin of error and deduct that as a percentage from the calories you allow yourself to eat back - problem solved! Most people even sportsmen are unable to sustain 10 hours of that kind of activity, the fact that it's strenuous and continuous must mean you're very fit. You'll know by your appetite if you're not eating enough to cover it. The Tour De France comparison is probably pointless because he's probably going to be lighter and so fit that he burns less per hour because his body will have become more efficient at handling the same small range of movements. Cycling is also not weight bearing, I burn half the amount cycling than I do walking! Walking/running with heavy loads has got to really torch the calories.
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    By
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    Sorry, but there is no way that you are even close to 62-6500 in a day. I work in a very large ER and easily walk 6 to 8 miles before the end of my shift. I don't even burn anywhere near that number of calories.

By no means am I saying I work harder or comparing us at all, but just for arguments sake I have used my iPhone's gps, polar ft7, and the Fitbit for a week and can pretty consistently log 13-15 miles a day on the days I load and unload, yesterday was 17.2 miles on the Fitbit I did not have my phone in my pocket to cross check it thou.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    By
    Eileen_S wrote: »

By no means am I saying I work harder or comparing us at all, but just for arguments sake I have used my iPhone's gps, polar ft7, and the Fitbit for a week and can pretty consistently log 13-15 miles a day on the days I load and unload, yesterday was 17.2 miles on the Fitbit I did not have my phone in my pocket to cross check it thou.

I used my iPhone 6 Plus before I got my Vivofit 2 and even though it has GPS I can definitely say from counting my own steps taken for 1 mile, that my iPhone was over tracking and not accurate. I also do HIIT for an hour 3 days a week and run along with weightlifting during the week on days that I work and I still don't come close to that amount of calories burned. However, this is just me, not you.
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    Those calorie figures seem a bit high as did mine when I used Fitbit. I now use a pedometer which won't sync with MFP so I enter the figures manually. Some days I do 50,000 steps for about 2000 calories. When you walk, run or move faster most activity monitors read that you are running and increase the stride length thus artificially inflating figures. At least that is what happened to me. Try manually setting your stride length the same for walking and running.
    Thank you very much this is something that actually makes allot of sense and would explain it being a bit high. I will watch my deficit for the next couple weeks again and see where I'm realistically at weekly but i guess no way to ever tell exactly how much I can burn in a single day, thank you everyone for the responses and the help
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Carrying heavy weights and sprinting?? Holy crap!

I decided to approach this by looking at 65 lbs lost over six months. If 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories, then you've eaten at a deficit of:

65 lbs of fat X 3500 calories = 227500 calories, over six months

Therefore the average daily deficit is: 227,500 / (6 months X 30 days) = 1264 calories per day

Ignoring your changing weight over the six month period, add that to what you're eating daily for a rough estimate of your TDEE. I'll be the gullible one here and say I'm willing to entertain a 6-7000 TDEE on some days

Assumptions and simplifications: accurate logging, only fat lost, and probably more

What exactly is it you do for a living? Are you signed up for some crazy expensive employees insurance? :tongue:

• datsundriver87
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Carrying heavy weights and sprinting?? Holy crap!

I decided to approach this by looking at 65 lbs lost over six months. If 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories, then you've eaten at a deficit of:

65 lbs of fat X 3500 calories = 227500 calories, over six months

Therefore the average daily deficit is: 227,500 / (6 months X 30 days) = 1264 calories per day

Ignoring your changing weight over the six month period, add that to what you're eating daily for a rough estimate of your TDEE. I'll be the gullible one here and say I'm willing to entertain a 6-7000 TDEE on some days

Assumptions and simplifications: accurate logging, only fat lost, and probably more

What exactly is it you do for a living? Are you signed up for some crazy expensive employees insurance? :tongue:

I pack and load people's household goods, when you move and are to lazy to do it yourself you hire me, most companies send a ton of guys I work for a company that believes two guys is all that's needed to move a house no matter the size, and yes our insurance is pretty impressive lol. In the last 6 months I've been eating somewhere around 2500-3000 calories a day which I know only equates to 4500 or so tde a day which I would guess is prolly fairly accurate with having so many days of low calorie burn, not to mention over a month of the last 6 I was off work due to personal reasons, 2-3 pounds a week has been a consistent weight loss for me during work weeks

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    i had a body media for about 6 months and on a normal day of work it said I would burn roughly 6500 calories or so with about 30,000 steps. I always felt this was really high so I just switched to a Fitbit hr, two days into work first day was 6700 calories and yesterday was 7200 calories with 37,000 steps. I work for a moving company and pretty much run or at least walk from 8 am to about 6 so it's possible this is correct, just seems unrealistic to be burning that many calories

Your Fitbit burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories to maintain your current weight.

The only way to gauge the accuracy is to trust your Fitbit for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. I was shocked how many calories Fitbit said I could eat—but I lost the weight and have maintained for a year.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I just logged 35,000 steps on a 16 mile run burning over 3200 calories in just thosr few hours of running. So for an active full day like that it may very well be right.

Unless you weigh 317 lbs it's highly unlikely you burned 3,200 cal running 16 miles (to get net calories expended running .63 x your weight in lbs x distance in miles)

OP that burn sounds high, as a couple of others have said that's what a Tour de France cyclist may burn in a day. There's an easy way to tell though.....are you logging your food? If you're eating 6,000 + cal per day and not putting on weight you'll have some assurance, on the other hand if you're gaining weight you'll know you're not burning that much. (I love to eat but couldn't imagine what 6,000 cal of food would be like in one day......)

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Best way to see if it's true or not.......................eat 7200 calories a day for a week. If you're not gaining any weight, then it's right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • datsundriver87
    Options
    I'm definitely not even going to attempt to eat 7200 calories or even 6000 in a day lol. I am sure it is high but like I've said the hardest part for me is that it's not a steady burn so I can't just say "I ate this many calories this week and lost this so this is what I'm burning daily" one day is a very high burn next day is little to none, today my Fitbit shows I did 42,000 steps but I know without a doubt that it is not even somewhat close (I'm estimating around 15,000 steps or so), today was because I was moving my hands continuously but mostly stationary for 10 hours. I'm going to average out my weeks and get an idea of an average burn, and just chalk up that there is no way to ever know my max burn on an intense day of work
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Best way to see if it's true or not.......................eat 7200 calories a day for a week. If you're not gaining any weight, then it's right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    This.
    I have a feeling you're grossly overestimating your activity level. Especially if you're only moving 13-17 miles in a day.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Just for comparison I often log 16+ miles per day walking and running and according to my apple watch/activity app burn about 3900 cal per day (175 lbs). Based upon my weight when I accurately track calories this number is at least ballpark correct.

I am not lifting heavy loads all day though.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    TDEE is based on way more than just steps—including sex, age, height, weight, and exertion level. Comparing one person's TDEE to another is pointless.

As I and others have said upthread, the only way to gauge the accuracy of your Fitbit burn is to trust it for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.