What foods keep you feeling full longer?

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
I have been eating oatmeal in the Am either with banana or berries and find it keeps me feeling more full longer than say cereal was. I'm curious what other foods help you keep feeling full longer. Would it be say a piece of meat/other protein or more like pastas etc??

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    For me, not pasta. Nothing against it, but I almost never eat it because I'd rather have meat/protein. I have it with every meal. And I find that unlike you, I will be very hungry shortly after eating oatmeal.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    2% greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Anything with fiber in it will keep you feeling fuller as it takes longer for the body to digest so a whole grain pasta would work better than pasta without the extra fiber.

Proteins in the form of food will keep you feeling fuller longer than say a whey shake.

Fats are also satiating.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Starchy foods for sure. Potatoes feel like they sit around in my stomach forever. Dunno if this is a good thing :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs on wholewheat toast
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    A half a cup of Gluten free plain oatmeal with Pb2 helps keep me full for at least 3 hours.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    A protein shake blended with ice and either water or unsweetened almond milk.
    Tuna fish with low fat mayo.
    Dannon's Light & Fit Greek Yogurt.
    Cappuccinos or Lattes made with 2% milk.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    protein and healthy fats keep me feeling fuller longer. Starch and carbs leave me wanting more carbs!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's because I add psyllium husk to my oatmeal but it seems to help keep me full. I never noticed that before putting it in though (feeling full). I don't eat much pasta because I tend to not be able to have sauces (acid reflux). I do have potatoes often (yukon gold, mmm) and things like half can of salmon, a plain turkey burger etc. I was finding eating a lot of veggies like zukes, spinach, raw cukes/tomatoes with protein didn't really keep me full very long...wasn't sure why but when I added the potato it seemed to really help.

So, fiber part makes a lot of sense. A lot must be personal trial and error to find what helps best?
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a wide range of choice when it comes to picking something that fills me up real gud but i' say that my best bets are greek yogurt, homemade whole bran muffins (my mom has been making them for decades and i don't have a clue what secret ingredient she puts in those but a tiny little muffin can easily stands as a whole meal for me), nuts and avocado. I can eat those in small amounts and last for a few (around 2 but sometimes more) hours until i get hungry again.
  • 123sockmonkey123
    123sockmonkey123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs help me feel full in the am.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    A full cup of Greek yogurt. Sometimes with peanut butter or protein powder added in. Sits like a rock
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, artichokes.
    Protein like eggs, chicken, steak fish.
    Fats like avocado, olive oil, butter and nut butter, nuts.
    Beans like kidney, black, navy, ect. plus lentils.
    Hearty grainy breads.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats. Greek yogurt, peanut butter, chicken...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Anything high in fiber. I was really surprised by how full raspberries could make me.

"Fat" seems to be the most common answer on MFP, but for me, it's fiber!