Injuries just from being too heavy?

Options
This is a little bit embarrassing, but after I started doing things again earlier this year, I noticed that first of all my balance sucks. I'm 100 pounds heavier and having to adapt to the new body. It's been about 9 months now and I've been getting some exercise but I notice I'm just getting hurt super easy and not healing. I have a muscle or tendon in my left upper thigh or maybe just the side next to the butt and it started to twinge when I was doing some incline on the treadmill. I eased up, but now I feel it constantly on stairs even walking around my apartment it's causing me to limp and be in pain. The other thing is one side of my mid back absolutely kills me when I eating at a table. Like I will have to switch hands to eat and lean back. Hmm... a sign to just stop eating? Sigh. I wonder if this will all go away when I drop the first 50 pounds or so. I guess I should just keep exercising though, around the pain?

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    My back/leg issues are clearing up, though I think my knee is properly borked.

Remember too that you are older now as well, so it can be weight, age, or a bit of both. Losing weight does help though!
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching after exercising?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the incline on the treadmill for now if it's aggravating things. Flat ground is fine :)

Keep in mind that you don't have to exercise to lose weight. It can help and it's good for other things, but weight loss itself starts with eating less than you burn.

My advice would be to see your doctor about this and find out if anything is really wrong so you know if you can/should keep moving despite the pain.

Back pain can be caused by poor posture; the pain in your leg could be anything from an issue with your feet, your knee or your back. You really need to be evaluated by a doctor so you know how best to take care of yourself.

~Lyssa
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm going to second the suggestion from @macgurlnet about seeing a doctor. Just to make sure you didn't really hurt something.
    Also stretching before and after working out is a good idea. Even if you're doing low impact things, like walking. If your body isn't used to moving around as much you could seriously injure yourself. Also listen to your body. If it hurts to walk at an incline, don't do it! Seriously! You can work up to that stuff. :smiley:

I remember when I first started working out my body was sore after walking a few miles on the treadmill and I wasn't even using an incline. Now I can jog for about 30 minutes straight at 5mph without any issues. I still stretch, though.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm going thru something similar and trying to lose about 115 lbs. The extra weight can make it easier to pull or strain things as well as affect balance. Keep on trying-it will get easier if you keep at it. Do some stretching every day to help loosen things up. Modify whatever exercise you are doing if it hurts. Walk on the flat if an incline is causing pain. The important thing is to keep moving, even if it's just walking at first. I would see a doctor tho if the pain issue doesn't clear up. It is pain and not soreness from exercising? I started out just walking 20 mins a day and then added 15 on a stationary bike. Now I walk an hour or more each day, bike 30 and do 20 mins of crunches, leg lifts and stretches. I worked up to that though; when I first started it was all I could do to get around the block. I know how disheartening it can be when even simple tasks or exercises can be so difficult due to size. Don't let it stop you though; modify, stretch, ice and just keep on trying! Good luck.
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always forget that ice is good for pulled muscles and strains.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Tons of great advice here.

First stop would be your doctors then if they clear you for physical activity you may want to consider a trainer.

A good trainer will help you begin a safe exercise program that is appropriate to your fitness level. They will also be able to address any injuries and design a program that will help existing injuries and prevent new ones.

A good trainer will also work with your doctor making sure they train you in a safe manner taking direction from your medical provider.

I'm sorry you're going through all this frustration but don't give up :)
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    FatPixiee wrote: »
    I always forget that ice is good for pulled muscles and strains.
    I keep a couple of gel packs in the freezer; they're soft and flexible and feel wonderful on ouchies. :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A doctor is a good start, but you may need to get a referral to a physiotherapist or orthopedist. Most general physicians aren't skilled enough (or have the time) to run the orthopedic tests and show you corrective exercises to fix any imbalances they find.

In the mean time, let us know if this stretch helps your hip:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ517Rw7ME
    Hold for 30+ seconds and repeat a few times a day.