Cures for over eating?

Options
Oh my goodness, I completely over did it today. I usually allow myself a cheat day once a week and it hasnt really been a problem. Today it was. I went to a chinese buffet and boy did i pig out. I feel so sick and bloated. I sometimes end up binging on cheat days so I have decided to stop having them. Instead I will just find ways to fit my favorite foods into my diet once in a while. Anyways like I said I feel super sick....my new smaller body is not used to all this food. Is there anything I could do to feel better?

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Drink water, it'll flush your system out ASAP
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    A nap.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Drink water, it'll flush your system out ASAP

^^ This^^ Chinese food is very high in sodium and the water will help you rid your body of the extra sodium (and bloated feeling from the sodium) Going for a walk might help you feel better too
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Chug as much water as you can. :)
  • bedazz562
    bedazz562 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This happened to me yesterday. However instead of a Chinese buffet, it was "Doughnut with Daddy" day at my daughter's pre-school. I had one doughnut, and then a few doughnut holes, then a croissant with ham and cheese, and then another doughnut. It was mindless eating and I was super bummed out by it when I got into my car to leave. I felt like crap all day from all of the sugar (I was over my calorie allotment for the day from all that dang food as well). However, the good thing to come out of all that was this: I KNEW that I went over, so I didn't continue to eat like that for the rest of the day. I pounded water, and only had one more med-size meal and then called it quits: no snacks, no food. I decided that today I would really focus on eating healthy and here I am; today is a new day. But I feel you about the cheat days and going crazy with them, maybe I should do away with them altogether as well...
  • movu101779
    movu101779 Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree. Water and lots of it...
  • abigailkorver
    Options
    Make sure you eat something high in fiber to flush your system out. You could also chug some detox drinks to help.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Do a cheat meal rather than a day and work it into your calories.

For instance I had about 500 calories of chocolate junk food yesterday. I worked it in and ended up at maintenance.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Water always makes me feel sicker if I've overeaten.

A hot drink might help you out, but the only real "cure" is some physical activity. Walking will aid (as in speed up) the digestive process. It won't feel nice, but it won't last as long as just sitting there and waiting for it to pass.

Here I thought you were asking for tips on how to curb the overeating in the first place :tongue:
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Plop! Plop!
    Fizz! Fizz!
    Oh what a relief it is!

Alka Seltzer
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I completely over did it today. I usually allow myself a cheat day once a week and it hasnt really been a problem. Today it was. I went to a chinese buffet and boy did i pig out. I feel so sick and bloated. I sometimes end up binging on cheat days so I have decided to stop having them. Instead I will just find ways to fit my favorite foods into my diet once in a while. Anyways like I said I feel super sick....my new smaller body is not used to all this food. Is there anything I could do to feel better?

OP. I like that you're now fitting foods in daily. That's what I did, I am on a 100 day streak and haven't binged since.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Water and some hot green tea... also lie down with your feet elevated. All that sodium is going to bloat you and make you sick if you are used to a low/no sodium diet.
  • hawaii86442
    hawaii86442 Posts: 167
    Options
    So far the overeating day has been helped with water and healthier choices. I guess the next time I want Jelly Bellies I will get the two ounce size instead of the two pound economy bag.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    lots of greens like spinach, swiss chard, kale, lettuce and more water.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Pepto, works for me and Tums
  • andybendy
    andybendy Posts: 4
    Options
    go for a cheat meal rather than a day, i plan 2 cheat meals a week, one of them is usually a breakfast on my day off work or a pizza and the other i dont always have, but it means if i want to go out for dinner that i can without getting too crazy, although recently ive used my 2nd cheat meal on guiness.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same way after eating things that are no longer on my eating plan (e.g. fast food), that I used to enjoy, haven't had for a while, or overindulged in. I've been meaning to write down exactly how I felt physically (too full, stomach ache, didn't taste good, etc.), and posting it on the refrigerator as a reminder why it's better to just leave it alone.
  • imamonster2000
    imamonster2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I chugged a bunch of water...felt like crap at first but then felt better after flushing everything out. I am still pretty bloated though and just taking it easy. Any suggestions on what I could eat later (for dinner) so I don't feel like crap. I would try to make it the rest of the day without food, but thatd be pretty hard for me
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I chugged a bunch of water...felt like crap at first but then felt better after flushing everything out. I am still pretty bloated though and just taking it easy. Any suggestions on what I could eat later (for dinner) so I don't feel like crap. I would try to make it the rest of the day without food, but thatd be pretty hard for me

Well for one, the buffet you had should be able to hold off any further cravings throughout the day, especially since your bloated... For me in the past, if I over ate in a buffet the hunger would hold off a full 12 hours before I had any appetite again
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Water will just make you feel more full. Just try to distract yourself with something else and let the discomfort pass. Walking might help a little.