Belly Fat!!!!!

Options
How do you get belly fat to go away? I'm losing everywhere but my belly fat!!!!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. You can do some core strengthening exercises (planks are good) to help build your abdominal wall muscles. That can help improve the appearance as the fat does start reducing.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It's a women and an age thing :( but the good news is eventually it will start to melt away I promise :) Keep up the good work and you'll get there.
  • bucsfnatic
    bucsfnatic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have lost everywhere but my belly. Everything I have read and heard says the only way to lose belly fat is thru sit ups and/or crunches. So that is what I have started doing.
    I first talked to my doc to make sure I could do sit ups without harm( I have a bad back) and then started doing a few at a time. When I get used to doing them I will increase the reps. Hopefully it works.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    bucsfnatic wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I have lost everywhere but my belly. Everything I have read and heard says the only way to lose belly fat is thru sit ups and/or crunches. So that is what I have started doing.
    I first talked to my doc to make sure I could do sit ups without harm( I have a bad back) and then started doing a few at a time. When I get used to doing them I will increase the reps. Hopefully it works.

Why not read the post linked above?

The only way to lose belly fat is to continue to drop your body fat while maintaining muscle mass. Genetics determines where the weight will come off of first.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    bucsfnatic wrote: »

Read the post linked above. There are also other core exercises besides sit-ups and crunches (and there are many variations on those). You may find planking or yoga/pilates moves beneficial (after clearing it with your medical team, of course).
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options

The only way to lose belly fat is to continue to drop your body fat while maintaining muscle mass. Genetics determines where the weight will come off of first.

This^^^^^

women and men are genetically pre-disposed to hold fat in different areas. Men hold fat in their belly (android fat distribution) think apple shaped, and women hold it in their hips and thighs (gynoid fat distribution) think pear shape.

Unfortunately once we ladies start hitting a certain age due to the hormonal changes we undergo we also start storing excess fat in our tummy areas as well (as if we didn't have enough problems already :s )
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Just keep losing. :) I was only 162 at my highest, and I didn't even lost a quarter inch in my waist or my belly for the first 15 lbs.

15. And I had less than 40 to lose!

It was (rather humiliatingly) almost all back fat.

Only from 147 to 141 did I lose an inch in my waist (and an inch and a half in my belly!!!).

I have still lost nothing in my arms and my calves. (I don't actually think that I will, honestly.)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

This^^^^^

women and men are genetically pre-disposed to hold fat in different areas. Men hold fat in their belly (android fat distribution) think apple shaped, and women hold it in their hips and thighs (gynoid fat distribution) think pear shape.

Unfortunately once we ladies start hitting a certain age due to the hormonal changes we undergo we also start storing excess fat in our tummy areas as well (as if we didn't have enough problems already :s )

Aging can be part of it, also stress (cortisol).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My collar bones were jutting out and my arms were like tooth picks, before my belly started noticeably reducing. Unfortunately, it seems the first place we want the fat to leave from is the last to go. it's cruel I tell you, cruel! :rage: