Keto? Or IIFYM?

Options
2»

Replies

• davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    None have better results. Why? Because it boils down to your caloric deficit; not what food items you're consuming.

wrong - hit your macros :-)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    davert123 wrote: »
    None have better results. Why? Because it boils down to your caloric deficit; not what food items you're consuming.

If your macros have you eating at a surplus, hitting them will result in weight gain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I hit nearly 30g of carbs before I even eat anything, it comes from the milk in my tea in the mornings. Therefore I could not do keto. Way too restrictive!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

That correlates to your deficit too;
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

If your macros have you eating at a surplus, hitting them will result in weight gain.

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

I used to hit my macros, but they filed a restraining order.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

I used to hit my macros, but they filed a restraining order.

:joy:

you can't make jokes like that in 2015 :joy:

not PC much wow :joy:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I hit nearly 30g of carbs before I even eat anything, it comes from the milk in my tea in the mornings. Therefore I could not do keto. Way too restrictive!

There is always another option. I stopped using flavored creamer in my coffee and now use heavy cream and sugar free syrups for flavor when I want it.
    High carb milk or no milk are not the only options.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    sooooo why even do keto?

someone aware me

For some it helps you to feel full on less food and not feel hungry, making it easier to maintain eating at a deficit. It can also be helpful for those with blood sugar problems to help stabilize their levels. Many also feel greater energy when burning fat instead of glucose.

Plus I can eat bacon every day and not feel guilty
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Alright, alright, alright. I'm literally struggling with this entire concept right now.

On Wednesday I decided, "ALRIGHT! Let's jump on the keto bandwagon!" So, since Wednesday I have been eating <10g a day. Do you feel full with all the fat? Totally. But I found that the meals are really restrictive. Plus, you'd be shocked to see just how high in carbohydrates things are. Like I really love broccoli and I really love eating a fuckton of broccoli. I can't eat a boatload of broccoli while on keto. That upsets my soul.

Now! I've lost 100 pounds with CICO. I never stopped eating certain foods. I ate what I wanted to and I made sure it fit within that calorie goal. You know how much broccoli I can eat with CICO? A boatload and then some. I love that!

I have some metabolic issues, so I do see the benefit in a low carb diet, but I personally am beginning to believe that keto is just so gosh darn restrictive for me. I can see it being an awesome diet for people who hate fruit and veggies and who restricted themselves from high fat meals before. But for people who have already successfully lost weight eating whatever they want with CICO, I don't think it's anything special.

This is coming from a girl who is SUPER EXHAUSTED and napped TWICE ALREADY TODAY because I have zero energy from the lack of carbs. Hahah

My carb goal is 20g net and if I want more broccoli one day and that throws me over my goal it's really not a big deal. Pretty much just the first couple weeks are recommended to be more strict. But it's just to speed up the process. You could go with more carbs and just take a few days longer to get adapted. It's not a big deal.
    It's more important to keep carbs down on a per meal basis because if you give your body too many carbs at once, it will obviously spend more time using them up before going back to the fats. I don't know what the best goal would be per meal as a maximum but I'm sure factors like if you're getting ready to exercise or just sitting around would need to be considered. I pretty much won't go over 10g net for any meal.

The lack of energy is more likely from a lack of electrolytes. You have to make sure your getting enough sodium (more than other ways of eating), magnesium and potassium. Lack of electrolytes is responsible for what people refer to Keto flu and is 100% preventable.
  • Christine_72
    Options

There is always another option. I stopped using flavored creamer in my coffee and now use heavy cream and sugar free syrups for flavor when I want it.

I'm in Australia, and have no idea what any of those things you mentioned are. I've never ever seen anyone put actual cream in their coffee :open_mouth: Next time I'm in the coffee isle, I'll see if I can find something resembling "creamer"

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Keto is IIFYM, as in you adjust your macros to fit keto. I've been eating keto for nearly two years now. Lost weight that wasn't budging on a traditional eating plan, have been able to maintain a healthy weight while trying to get to my goal, and I love the energy I have.

But do research and decide for yourself.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I'm in Australia, and have no idea what any of those things you mentioned are. I've never ever seen anyone put actual cream in their coffee :open_mouth: Next time I'm in the coffee isle, I'll see if I can find something resembling "creamer"

I don't know what it would be called there. I think in UK they call it double cream. It's refrigerated. You would find it by the milk.
    It's a milk product that you would use to make whipped cream. It's actually labeled heavy whipping cream on my current package. But I've seen it labeled differently. zvfw20ud36o6.jpg

Here's what the one I have looks like. (Trying to include a photo. Not sure it's working out)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Aahhh ok yep. Just normal cream. Gotcha. Nope definitely not an Aussie thing.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

over a pint per morning. Gosh, the Dairy Promotion board would love you.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've always thought "coffee creamer" was coffee whitener such as CoffeeMate.

I'll go back under my Aussie rock and log my Unicorn Poop Cookies.

unicorn_poop_cookies_3_zpsj4mmaeuu.jpg
  • Modern_athena
    Modern_athena Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For the long term, IIFYM is better since it's more sustainable. Keto is restrictive and impractical since it demands really low carb intake and sometimes that's not good for you. Here is an IIFYM calculator.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

over a pint per morning. Gosh, the Dairy Promotion board would love you.

yeah, I have a slight addiction to milky tea :blush: