Vegetarian & Overweight - it happens!

Options
Hi everyone!
I'm 37, 5'9, curvy, somewhat active, living in Nebraska. I have many kids & life has happened....and well, maybe I like to eat! :D I struggle with my weight & trying to make changes. I'm an animal activist & vegetarian - no judging - vegetarians struggle too!
My gym membership has been renewed, I'm trying to eat better & have set my own goals. Hoping to connect to new friends for advice, encouragement & support. My food diary is open for all to see - I'm human - expect good & bad eating days! :)

Looking forward to this journey with you!
-Jessica

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    yup welcome to MFP, sounds like you already know the deal with CICO (calories in calories out)

set your stats and goals in MFP (let it calculate for -0.5 or -1.0 lb per week)

get a food scale and weigh everything

good luck! :mrgreen:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    It comes down to calories. If you eat anything at a surplus, you'll gain weight. I know over weight vegans and vegetarians .
    The good news is, your in the right place. All you need is a food scale, Weigh everything you consume and log it here accurately. :smiley:
  • Justanothername9801
    Justanothername9801 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ^^Thank you both! I think my biggest challenge is getting back into the gym routine. I don't enjoy it like I used to, so I really force myself to go. I know I feel better when I'm done...it's just going! I've increased my water intake & started some good supplements. I'll get this! :)
  • fitchriis
    fitchriis Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I switched from being vegetarian to vegan (for ethical reasons not health/diet) my weight automatically went down even though I was still eating as much - dairy, especially cheese, has a lot of fat in it so I would think that vegetarians could easily get as overweight as meat-eaters especially if they eat a lot of dairy. I've been vegan for decades and I don't think it is as easy for vegans to gain weight but I managed to let myself creep up to 20 pounds overweight, I love fruit and can eat lots in a day, now since doing this fitness diary I see how much sugar there is in it! You really can get too much of a good thing :smile:
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes, cheese and dairy products can add fat quickly. As can processed wheat products.

My vegan friend touted a "raw" diet as "perfect", geez, he was eating more fat from coconut and carbs from dried dates in a day, than I eat in a week! He is fat and yet states how healthy his diet is! He does not look healthy to me.
  • karacasale5
    karacasale5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! Stay focused! Everyone has bad days once in a while but dont let it ruin everything youve done