Losing Too Much Weight

Options
According to my numbers I've lost approximately 2.4 pounds in a week. This is a little more than I'm suppose to be losing each week (my goal is to lose 2 pounds a week). Do you all have times where you're over or do you allow yourself to go over the 2 pounds a week mark? If so, why do you do it, have you been able to take the weight off in a healthy way going over the 2 pounds, or do you dial it back to the regular 2 pounds a week?

Replies

• redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's a little over, sometimes a little under, because of water weight/hormonal cycles/other weirdness. I think, unless it's wildly more or less than expected, shrug and carry on.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight, it could be anything.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If it's just one week, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it continues, then I'd probably look at either upping your calories or eating back more of your exercise calories (or some of them, if you aren't). There will be weeks where you might lose .4 pounds, or gain, so it should all even out.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've had weeks where i have lost a lot and weeks where i have lost 0! I wouldn't worry about it. It will average out soon. =)
  • Trackingsmith
    Trackingsmith Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good to know. Thank you guys! I'll stick with what I've been doing this week and see what happens. If I lose more than 2 pounds again I might make some adjustments. Thanks again!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    2lb per week is probably an aggressive goal for someone with under 30lb to lose, but first week losses are typically higher due to loss of retained fluid. As you lose weight 2lb per will be quite hard to achieve on an ongoing basis, reset (lower) your goal as you lose weight...1lb per week is a good benchmark.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. I took off nearly 4lb. this week, but in the weeks prior I stayed the same (sometimes even went up!) Sometimes if it happens. If it's not a consistent thing, accept that it's probably just extra water weight coming off and move on.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Average weight loss over 6-8 weeks then readjust
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Weight bounces around like a ping pong ball :-) I've dropped 7lb in a week and put 5 back in the next couple of days :-) I agree with rabbit - look at a longer period :-)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I went through about a 3-week period where I didn't lose a single pound and didn't quite understand why, then all of a sudden, I dropped 3 pounds in a week, then this week--and tomorrow is my weigh-in day to make it official-- I will have lost another 2 or 3. So all I can guess is that during that plateau even though I was eating under my goal and walking my *** off, I was holding onto some water, and now it's all come off and catching up. I'm not upset in the least, but 7 pounds in 2 weeks can't be accurate (I certainly didn't have that big of a deficit!), so there must have been something else going on and I'm evening out.

So my advice over this past month of scale weirdness is just roll with it and it'll all work out in the end.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If I lost three pounds in a week, I'd do a dance of joy. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If I lost three pounds in a week, I'd do a dance of joy. :)

Yes indeedy :bigsmile: Take it while you got it!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,941 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Trendweight.com, weightgrapher.com, happy scale for iphones, excel spreadsheet on scooby's website in his post about weighing yourself accurately.

The above will come in handy when the losses don't roll in quite as regularly!

Take the faster loss for now (assuming you are not near goal, and assuming you're not operating on a deficit that places you well below 1200 after exercise) and reevaluate after a few weeks.

Of course if you are losing 2.4lbs a week because you're eating 1200 less 1000 for exercise = net 200....the answer would not be the same!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It's normal the first week to drop water, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, as it will stable off.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's better to lose 1 pound a week.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Give it six weeks so you can get past the initial water weight loss and then you will get an idea of how quick you are actually losing.
  • Trackingsmith
    Trackingsmith Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to stick with what I was doing this past week and see how things go. Chances are that last week was a bunch of water weight. We'll see by the end of this week though. I'll keep you all posted!