Confused by calories lol

Options
Hey everybody (:

I know this sounds silly, but I'm new to doing this the healthy/old fashioned way vs. using diet pills like I did when I was 17. Lol

Anyway, I've been using MFP religiously for the 2 weeks & it advised me to consume 1300 calories a week since I am a student from 8 to 12:30 & then a work at home agent from 1 to 10pm. So that pretty much keeps me off my feet a good bit of the time. However, I've finally managed to squeeze some time out of my days off & after I get off at night to work out so I'm wondering do I need to eat back my calories since 1300 is pretty low & I know that your body can't really function on less than 1200. I'm currently running a mile & I'm about to incorporate the 30DS as well. So is 1300 still okay if I eat back the calories I burn or should I up it? I'm trying to tone up some of the flab I've accumulated over the years lol

As of now I don't feel any different or sluggish. I've stopped drinking soda & feel better than I have ever. The energy is awesome!

Also I've read that it's hard to maintain the weight you lose if you eat too few calories to lose it? Is that true? I don't want to lose it all & then gain it all back because I go over 1300 calories once in a while. Lol

Thanks in advance,
Any information would be helpful!

-Jessica

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    At 1300 calories, you should be eating back your exercise calories.

No, it is not true.
    • You eat in a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    • You eat in a caloric surplus to gain weight.
  • Jesskuh_Mcfly
    Jesskuh_Mcfly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • deceived1
    deceived1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Also, MFP is just a general guideline based on averages of people your height/weight/age/sex. You may need to make some adjustments on your calorie intake based on results. However, given that you're at 1300 already - which is close to the recommended LOW minimum of 1200 for a female, if anything you should be adjusted UP on intake (especially given your exercise levels and upcoming plans).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    1300 is your base and you earn the rest through exercise. Yes, MFP is designed for you to eat those.