When do people start to notice?

Options
I've been logging diligently for almost 40 days, eating 1200 calories a day, and have lost about 8-10 pounds (depending on how I'm fluctuating). My clothes are definitely looser, but I've been waiting for someone to say something! How long/how many pounds have others had to wait to have someone else notice? I feel like I'm flouncing around in yoga pants, wishing for complements all the time...a little silly, I know :P

I'm a short size 8ish (formerly closer to 10, now edging closer to 6, yay!), btw.

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 20 pounds before people started noticing (for some it was 30 pounds). Of course I noticed more quickly and so did my husband. I also didn't announce it to people- just did my thing.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    For me people started to comment at about 15 pounds down. They might have noticed sooner but were not sure so stayed quiet, knowing how sensetive I am on the subject.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    People that see you every day won't notice as quickly since its a gradual change, but people that see you every once in a while will notice more quickly. Its usually around 20 lbs that people notice.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    A lot of times people won't comment because they think they a) shouldn't b) don't know what to say. I've had people tell me that I just in general "look really good" or "something looks different". If they are closer friends I will talk about my weight loss, otherwise I just say my hair is finally starting to grow out lol. People are definitely noticing more now that my weight is lower, because even a few pounds makes more of a visual difference.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest surprises to people when you loose weight/start working out etc is that life does not all of a sudden dramatically change and people start treating you differently and showering you with compliments. Life just goes on as normal, but you will feel and look different. Your mind set/confidence will be different and good things will come from that. People will respond to that. I suppose the moral is to change for "you" and don't pay to much attention to peoples reactions. I think the reason some people struggle to maintain their weight is because they have a deluded idea of how everything all of a sudden dramatically improves once they are thin etc. However, I'm sure people will notice how much more positive/happier/healthier you are because of the journey you have been on.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It depends! 5 lbs on a 5'4" 150 female is more noticeable than 5 pounds on a 5'4" 200 lb female. People noticed within my first 5 pounds, but more generally everyone noticed after the first 10.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    When I lost 20 lbs I was so frustrated because people still hadn't noticed. When I hit the 25 lbs down point, then EVERYONE started noticing. It's taken me 6 months, and went from a (tight) size 16 to a (loose) size 12, or XL to M. Just keep going, and give it time :)
  • stargirl85
    stargirl85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Aw. Get support here because that is a real achievement!
    Is this US sizes?
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 15 lbs give or take over the last 3-4 months and people have just begun to notice. My boyfriend only said something a few weeks ago. I think it can be hard to notice changes in people when they see you everyday. Wait for someone who hasn't seen you for a while, they'll notice a difference right away!
  • run_cmc
    run_cmc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", and I'm 20 lbs down (14 since I started tracking here) - people *just* started to notice! I feel completely different though~ I guess at least wtih coworkers that you see every day, it's hard to tell when the change is a little tiny bit every day. Plus if you're taller, like me, it might take quite a bit of weight before things really start to change.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The moment you stop caring about them noticing.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    People notice long before anyone actually says anything.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some people wont say anything so not to hurt feelings
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Hey fishcat123, have you lost weight? There you go. I was the first to notice. :)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Well if it's my husband, if they notice they won't say anything. 45lbs + gone and not a word from him.
    Everyone else however started to really comment after I lost about 25 lbs. Some commented sooner because I started doing before/after pics starting with 15lbs lost.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    28 lbs and I got my first comment. 30 lbs and everyone was commenting.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Walk around in the big trousers like they do in the "Before and After" pics in the commercials. That is guaranteed to get their attention. :p
  • anarchysbitch
    anarchysbitch Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 20kg's and no one has said anything lol. Just keep at it and do it for yourself.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
  • Fitnessflexibility
    Fitnessflexibility Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It took my husband longer to notice. Other people would say "are you losing weight?" After I lost about 10lbs. I've now lost a little over 20lbs and my husband notices. Looking back at my transformation pictures, it was a few months before there was a noticeable change, but at the time I felt like it was a bigger change after a month!