Fit bit and swimming

Options
tazjosh
tazjosh Posts: 88 Member
Any advice , how do I count and add calories burned when I go swimming. i don't mean exercise swimming just wandering in the pool with my 3 year old toddler. I will b taking steps and walking in water but not actually swimming and I'm guessing I can't wear it in the pool?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in the Fitbit app (that's what I do) or in MFP, never both.

And no, you shouldn't swim with your Fitbit.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • tazjosh
    Options
    So what do I log when I take it off I don't do any actual swimming just walking round pool and playing with my son
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    And no, you shouldn't swim with your Fitbit.

Unless you bought the Fitbit Flex which is the only model that can be worn swimming.

• allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you are just walking around in the pool with your child, you probably shouldn't really log it as exercise. I know there are people who log everything (I've seen entries for housecleaning, gardening, and intercourse...it is scary!), but sometimes you are just living your life and doing your normal thing. This sounds like a case of just doing your normal thing. Consider any calories you burn that you aren't logging as a bonus!
  • tazjosh
    Options
    allbarrett wrote: »
    If you are just walking around in the pool with your child, you probably shouldn't really log it as exercise. I know there are people who log everything (I've seen entries for housecleaning, gardening, and intercourse...it is scary!), but sometimes you are just living your life and doing your normal thing. This sounds like a case of just doing your normal thing. Consider any calories you burn that you aren't logging as a bonus!

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    If you are meandering in the pool with a three year old you are simply living. It's pointless to try to capture all these things.

Capture a 1 hour walk, not a 10 minute saunter to the coffee shop and back. Capture a 45 minute run. Or a 2 hour bike ride. Or 30 minutes on a treadmill or elliptical machine.

But playing in a pool? Washing dishes? Folding clothes? Taking the stairs to your 3rd floor office? Nope, that's just living.
  • gainthatmuscle
    gainthatmuscle Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    fitbit or the way mwyvr suggested
  • tazjosh
    Options
    Ok thanks guys, I'm so desperate to get this right and you make a lot of sense . I just needed to hear people tell me as I didn't know how to go about this. Again thanks x