PMS and Binge Eating - real or just an excuse?

Options

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I said that I do not believe PMS is the cause for eating far too much .

Sometimes there is no other reason.
    Dehydrated?
    Nope, drank 100oz.
    Lacking minerals?
    Nope, anticipated TOM and made it a point to take my supplements.
    Poor eating?
    Nope, stocked up on produce, ditched the crap.
    Not enough exercise?
    Nope, ran 10miles.
    Not enough sleep?
    Nope, got 6-7hours plus a nap.
    Stressed?
    Nope, things are actually wonderful.
    Pre-menstral?
    :sad: how did you know? I can't stop eating everything even though I super glued the fridge and pantry shut!

I liked this answer! Especially the last part. I will tell everyone tho, that after I gave up eating gluten, my PMS (and I am 48ish, hello menopause!) damn near disappeared off the face of the map. Even my husband told me it was like my "wheels fell off". I was suspect of the gluten/PMS relationship at first, but after several months of being gluten and basically PMS free, I realize now there is a strong correlation between those two things FOR MY SITUATION.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    I don't buy into the "I have PMS so I just ate 5,000 calories!" theories floating around. Yes, when I get PMS I get cravings for salty and sweet things. I crave food with those tastes. HOWEVER, I still manage to keep control of the AMOUNT of those sweet and salty foods I'm eating.

I think overeating and blaming it on PMS is wrong. We should have more control over it than some women like to believe. It shouldn't be an excuse to eat way too much.

I'd like to hear from other women about this topic. All replies are welcome.

So you admit something physical actually can make you want to eat more. But, you control that. Good, we are all ultimately in control of what we fuel our bodies with and in control of whether we are going to track it or not. I am a bit confused about where you say you control the amount of those things you crave, do you bump your cals up slightly and make up for it elsewhere or do you radically alter what foods you eat at this time?

Great question! I think that hormonal fluctuations of PMS can and do change what we want to eat (foods normally on our "do not eat" or "do not eat a ton of this" lists), but I don't think hormonal levels cause an increase in the amount of foods we eat. That's still more within our control. When I am experiencing cravings, I will try to satisfy those cravings with things that aren't high in calories: sweet pickle chips cure my sweet tooth and a small handful of nuts cures the salty cravings. As much as I WANT to, I try NOT to open a bag of potato chips or Doritoes and go to town. And I eat slowly, until the craving dissipates, so I am not shoveling too much in at once.

Pregnancy, however, might have that affect -- I believe I was much hungrier when I was pregnant than when I wasn't. Growing a life takes big calories!

It's interesting, because I had an OB/GYN doctor come to my classroom to discuss hormonal changes during PMS and puberty (6th grade health class). The first thing he said was "PMS causes hormonal fluctuations that will make girls feel pretty icky, HOWEVER, the hormones themselves do not cause anger outbursts, poor decision making, and overeating. Those things are still within your control." He made a great point and I've been thinking about that ever since.
    That OB/GYN is an idiot. And a "he"? Well, "he" never experienced PMS and has clearly not kept up on the most recent studies on it.

Feel free to go argue with him, since you obviously know it all.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the "I have PMS so I just ate 5,000 calories!" theories floating around. Yes, when I get PMS I get cravings for salty and sweet things. I crave food with those tastes. HOWEVER, I still manage to keep control of the AMOUNT of those sweet and salty foods I'm eating.

I think overeating and blaming it on PMS is wrong. We should have more control over it than some women like to believe. It shouldn't be an excuse to eat way too much.

So you admit something physical actually can make you want to eat more. But, you control that. Good, we are all ultimately in control of what we fuel our bodies with and in control of whether we are going to track it or not. I am a bit confused about where you say you control the amount of those things you crave, do you bump your cals up slightly and make up for it elsewhere or do you radically alter what foods you eat at this time?

Great question! I think that hormonal fluctuations of PMS can and do change what we want to eat (foods normally on our "do not eat" or "do not eat a ton of this" lists), but I don't think hormonal levels cause an increase in the amount of foods we eat. That's still more within our control. When I am experiencing cravings, I will try to satisfy those cravings with things that aren't high in calories: sweet pickle chips cure my sweet tooth and a small handful of nuts cures the salty cravings. As much as I WANT to, I try NOT to open a bag of potato chips or Doritoes and go to town. And I eat slowly, until the craving dissipates, so I am not shoveling too much in at once.

Pregnancy, however, might have that affect -- I believe I was much hungrier when I was pregnant than when I wasn't. Growing a life takes big calories!

It's interesting, because I had an OB/GYN doctor come to my classroom to discuss hormonal changes during PMS and puberty (6th grade health class). The first thing he said was "PMS causes hormonal fluctuations that will make girls feel pretty icky, HOWEVER, the hormones themselves do not cause anger outbursts, poor decision making, and overeating. Those things are still within your control." He made a great point and I've been thinking about that ever since.

LOL! Then how do you explain the other days out of the month that i am not an emotional lunatic?
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have periods of binge eating and they seem to be precipitated by hormonal issues. I don't blame myself; I just plan smarter for next time.

1. Not enough sleep, low blood sugar

2. 3 + days at a deficit, elevated hunger hormone, the higher the deficit the higher the risk of a binge

3. low protein and fiber intake, increases chance of mild overeating
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

LOL! Then how do you explain the other days out of the month that i am not an emotional lunatic?

Dunno, not a psychologist. I just know that the minor details in my life seem overinflated and much bigger than they really are during PMS. I don't think there is such a thing as a stress free life, so during PMS all our stresses we are handling without much of a second thought become magnified due to hormonal changes.

AND I think men go through something similar each month as well. They have hormones, why can't they be off?
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I said that I do not believe PMS is the cause for eating far too much .

Sometimes there is no other reason.
    Dehydrated?
    Nope, drank 100oz.
    Lacking minerals?
    Nope, anticipated TOM and made it a point to take my supplements.
    Poor eating?
    Nope, stocked up on produce, ditched the crap.
    Not enough exercise?
    Nope, ran 10miles.
    Not enough sleep?
    Nope, got 6-7hours plus a nap.
    Stressed?
    Nope, things are actually wonderful.
    Pre-menstral?
    :sad: how did you know? I can't stop eating everything even though I super glued the fridge and pantry shut!

^Love this! I am RAVENOUS the week/days before my period.. I cannot get full no matter what I eat and chocolate is the biggest craving. Some days I can keep it in check, others I just can't, but you know what. I still tracke it, even if I'm 1000 over! It is what it is and everyone is different...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That OB/GYN is an idiot. And a "he"? Well, "he" never experienced PMS and has clearly not kept up on the most recent studies on it.

I've been having periods for 25 years. I'm pretty sure I know my own experiences and I also read enough to know there are actual scientific studies showing the effects of hormone fluctuations on mood, appetite, etc.

I would gladly argue with him and I'm sure most competent OB/GYNs would as well.

But, obviously, YOU know everyone else's bodies and experiences better than any of us know our own, so I bow to your expertise. :flowerforyou:
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Dunno, not a psychologist. I just know that the minor details in my life seem overinflated and much bigger than they really are during PMS. I don't think there is such a thing as a stress free life, so during PMS all our stresses we are handling without much of a second thought become magnified due to hormonal changes.

I remember one particularly bad day (this was right before I gave up gluten) where I cried for 5 hours straight over NOTHING I could even blame it on. In fact, I was so confused about why I was crying, that I started laughing at the same time as tears ran down my cheeks. I was a MESS.

AND I think men go through something similar each month as well. They have hormones, why can't they be off?
  • rml_16
    Options

Make up your mind.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

I've been having periods for 25 years. I'm pretty sure I know my own experiences and I also read enough to know there are actual scientific studies showing the effects of hormone fluctuations on mood, appetite, etc.

I would gladly argue with him and I'm sure most competent OB/GYNs would as well.

But, obviously, YOU know everyone else's bodies and experiences better than any of us know our own, so I bow to your expertise. :flowerforyou:

Did I say that I know everyone's experiences and that there are NO fluctations? NO. It seems you're having a really hard time understanding what I'm saying.

Again, the hormonal fluctuations women experience during PMS -- does it cause excessive binge eating or NOT? Can it be used as an excuse or not? I personally do not believe it causes binge eating NOR is it an excuse to eat thousands of extra, unneeded calories.

What part of the above statement is so hard to understand?

I will add: I believe binge eating is caused by emotional triggers, which aren't necessarily related to PMS, which is a short term event.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options

Make up your mind.

REFER BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POST. Mind made up.
  • jimandpam87
    jimandpam87 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I disagree that overeating during PMS is just an excuse. I, personally, do not really get cravings at all during TOM. I sometimes crave sweets a bit more, but nothing drastic that I see as a detriment to my diet. HOWEVER, I am SO MUCH HUNGRIER during TOM than any other time of the month. Now, I certainly can "control" what I put in my mouth and choose not to eat when I'm hungry. However, to be ravenous all the time is really not fun, as I'm sure a lot of us have experienced. I agree with others who say that each body is different and to say that anyone is using PMS as an excuse is being judgmental. I mean, who is to say what another person is experiencing? Besides, if they ARE using it as an excuse, it's only hurting them.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the "I have PMS so I just ate 5,000 calories!" theories floating around.

I don't think 'theory' means what you think it means.

If you don't go overboard, good for you. Focus on yourself, that's all that should matter to you!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Your original post about the doctor said that he claimed PMS doesn't cause mood changes and you agreed with him. Then you said PMS causes mood changes. Which do you believe?

As far as using PMS as an "excuse" to overeat, I repeat: Until you have lived in another woman's body and experienced what she experiences, YOU ARE BEING JUDGMENTAL AND RUDE.
  • StrongFitSexy
    Options

Omg??!! Really??!!
    I love it how people judge by THEIR experience and how THEIR body reacts to certain things...
    Just like rml_16 said this post is rude and judgemental plain and simple.
    There is a lot more to what I got to say to this post but ill just leave it at that.
    :grumble:
    Anyway I embrace my pms binging and I move on.. I am still loving myself and I dont beat myself for it.
    Enjoy your judging if it makes you happy:laugh:
  • pandagirlshonerd
    pandagirlshonerd Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have like one day where I have a chocolate binge and then I'll be grand for the rest. I just view it as a treat and try not to have it too often (althought I need to get back on track right now)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hormonal fluctuations have far more impact than people give them credit for. They influence not only your physiological function, but your mental function, as well. Every person handles those mental function changes differently, because we all have different coping skills and abilities.

Some people might not have the same coping skills you do, which means that for them, it's much, much harder to "control" things. Which means it's a real problem for them, while for you, it would be an excuse.

Perspective makes a world of difference, so your experience will never dictate the experiences of others, since you cannot get inside their head and body to experience things the way they do. If they say it's a problem for them, the first step you can do to help them is to accept it as real, and then ask how you can help, rather than assume it's an excuse. Dismissing someone's experience is never going to be productive, and will never allow you to be helpful to anyone.

/end thread
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    CHOCOLATE OFTEN SOUND SUPER GOOD WHEN I'M PRE-MENSTRUAL

Else, I am not hungry at all for the whole day.

Even if I dont have chocolate handy, I wont feel like eating anything else and have to literally shove food down my mouth!!
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't really get cravings... if anything I don't want to eat as much because of tummy pains, but I do get realllllllly thirsty! I drink water non stop then.
  • Pinkybarbell
    Options

My experience is A, so if you say your experience is B, then you are just making excuses.

*eyeroll*

Until you live in another person's body, you can't have any idea what that person goes through at any given time.

I think you missed the entire point of the start of this thread. I said that I do not believe PMS is the cause for eating far too much food. I ALSO never said that my experience is the right and only experience. THIS IS WHY I ASKED FOR ALL REPLIES.

I think the "eyeroll" was a bit unnecessary. But, hey, what ev er.

You worded it better the second time:)
    The first time I thought it sounded judgemental and ignorant to use words like "just an excuse" and " wrong"
    It's easy to be judgemental, but I try not to (as best I can) unless I have truely lived in someone elses shoes.